• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I was firing today against a target affixed to a 14" or so diameter tree in front of one of the hills on my property. Just wanted to pass along; to my astonishment this humble cartridge passed through the trunk on a number of occasions. This served as a big reminder of that rule we always follow, be sure of your target and all that is behind it.

Last edited:

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I saw a special on cable about the AK vs the AR. Vets in Vietnam said that a tree was no cover against the AK47, some would also adopt the AK's they recovered.

They went on to show an AR going through a treated 4 by 4 post. The AK easily blew through two 4 by 4's. Pretty impressive.

Of course, when tested for accuracy the AR won hands down.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Years ago down at the old Atterbury range, I was down there with my son shooting our SKSs and Ruger Mini-30s. I was using some 1/4" flat steel bars to support the targets on each side. My son put a couple of those steel cored Norincos clean through his bars. It made me think about what kind of armored vehicle they would have went through in Viet Nam and other places around the world. It would sure means that a wood framed house, apartment or even a concrete block house would not be much protection from someone using those or larger rounds.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    A lot of people don't realize the power these small-bore rifles have. And a lot of people don't know much about metal.

I've shot standard, plinking(non-steel core, non-fancy death bullet) .223 rounds thru 3/8 and even 1/2 inch steel. The steel apparently hadn't been hardened at all! It was pretty amazing to see. Reminds us to shoot at good, soft, bullet absorbing backdrops!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I agree the 7.62x39 is a good round, but shooting at a standing tree, the bullet will penetrate much further since you're shooting perpendicular to the grain.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One reason that my AK is my go to rifle. I own an AR and I'm not doubting the capabilities of the 5.56/.223 round. The 7.62x39 is better at punching through intermediate barriers. It terms of accuracy, a good AK is accurate out to 400 yards. What's the chances I'll ever have to shoot past 100. I will be loading some steel core penetrator ammo for my AR though, because you never know.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Years ago when I was a young buck, our CO & 1SG did a few test to show us the capabilities of our weapons and the limitations of common cover. He built bif wooden boxes that he filled with 2x12 square boards and fired the 5.56 and 7.62x51 into them. The 5.56 penitrated 19" of pine board, the 7.62 went 26".

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I saw an episode of mythbusters where they tried to cut down trees with machine guns. The M-16 shot straight through a mesquite tree if I remember correctly. It was at least 16 inches in diameter. I know a guy that used an AR-15 to trim an 8-10" diameter limb that was blocking his satellite and was too high for the tree trimmers. As I recall, he said it took him 57 rounds of M855 to bring the limb down.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I agree the 7.62x39 is a good round, but shooting at a standing tree, the bullet will penetrate much further since you're shooting perpendicular to the grain.

Wouldn't that mean it has less penetration going against the grain instead of with the grain?

Top Bottom