• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a mix between organic and heirloom seeds. Can organic seeds be harvested and planted the following year like heirloom's? I have a patch about 30' x 15' that goes uphill slightly.

Seeds so far are carrots, green peppers, spinach, green onions, watermelon, sunflowers, tomatoes, kale and cucumbers. I plan on adding a few more veggies and a couple fruit.

I also plan on using a mix of clay, garlic and water as "pesticide". No chemicals.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Wether or not you can harvest, save, and plant the seeds the following year will depend on if they are open-pollinated or hybrids(F1). Organic seeds refer to how they are grown(i.e. no artificial fertilizers, etc.) and heirloom seeds usually refer to varieties that have been around for at least fifty years. Hence the name "heirloom."

Open-pollinated garden varieties usually ARE heirlooms but not always. Anything open-pollinated CAN be saved from year to year.

If you are into mail-order seeds, look at companies like Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and Seed Savers Exchange. Those companies have good reputations. When shopping for seeds locally, look at each packet to see if "F1" appears after the variety name. If so, then it is a hybrid and you can't save the seeds from that variety. No "F1" and you will be good to save the seeds.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Even hybrids will grow again the following year, but won't maintain the same properties.
    That's the reason I never need to plant/start cherry tomatos in my garden. I don't remember exactly what they were like originally, but they're still good.... a little bigger though.

Heirloom are what you want if you wish to grow the same thing every year from previous plant seed. (I do that with Rattlesnake pole beans.) Handy during SHTF type scenerio, I imagine.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The uphill set up is ideal, make sure you get good southern sun. Water roots not leaves.

carrots, plant around last frost date sew directly into ground
    green peppers, start inside now or buy starter plants like tons of water and does well in heat
    spinach, start now and stager every few weeks likes cold but will go tart and straight to seed when it gets hot
    green onions space well and break up the ground often bulb expand and cause tons of pressure in the soil
    watermelon, have plenty space/water available
    sunflowers, this will be my first year also
    tomatoes, start now like peppers likes tons of water, needs space to grow, keep ground under it well weeded or covered with grass clipping/news paper/whatever
    kale see spinach
    cucumbers like everything sew seeds directly to ground after last frost dates

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So its there a such thing as organic heirlooms?

Sure if you plant heirlooms and don't put any chemicals on them, they would be organic heirlooms.

If you plant hybrids, you can grow them organically. As was stated before, organic just means you didn't use chemicals on them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That's the reason I never need to plant/start cherry tomatos in my garden. I don't remember exactly what they were like originally, but they're still good.... a little bigger though.

We have those little yellow pear tomatoes growing in our fence... Every year there they are.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I always plant my cucumber seeds in dirt hills.

A true heirloom seed will give you almost the same plant every year. A Hybrid seed saved and planted next year may not even fruit.

We grow heirloom tomatoes, primarily a German Beefsteak and a Brandywine. They are very hardy and always do well in Indiana. These seeds go back to 1941 according to my greenhouse lady.

Good luck with your garden.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What if a heirloom plant was tested with chemicals then it's seeds harvested?

It would still be an heirloom. If it had fungicide (the pink powder often put on corn seeds) put on it, then it is no longer organic. I don't really know if that is what your question is asking.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The uphill set up is ideal, make sure you get good southern sun. Water roots not leaves.

carrots, plant around last frost date sew directly into ground
    green peppers, start inside now or buy starter plants like tons of water and does well in heat
    spinach, start now and stager every few weeks likes cold but will go tart and straight to seed when it gets hot
    green onions space well and break up the ground often bulb expand and cause tons of pressure in the soil
    watermelon, have plenty space/water available
    sunflowers, this will be my first year also
    tomatoes, start now like peppers likes tons of water, needs space to grow, keep ground under it well weeded or covered with grass clipping/news paper/whatever
    kale see spinach
    cucumbers like everything sew seeds directly to ground after last frost dates

Good advice. A couple of comments though.
    Tomatoes like consistent moisture. A dry/wet cycle is bad, it can cause blossom end rot. ETA You want to go sparingly with the water when they are turning red, too much will cause them to split.

Green onions I pack in pretty tight. Maybe an 1-2 inches between. And plant every week or two depending on how much you eat them. Bulbing onions do need spread out a good bit more though. How do you plan on starting them? Seeds, sets, or sprouts?

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If you're not careful, cherry/grape tomatoes will literally take over a garden! I have had problems with that in years past. I am reluctant to start any this year, but WTF, why not. Here are a couple pictures of my germination trays that I started today.
    0301112035a.jpg

0301112035.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom