• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    SO .... my girlfriend is new to the gun scene, introduced by me, only has shot a couple rifles. (.22 and .22 mag) she wants a handgun. i think she is in love with the idea of a revolver. I want to get her a .38 or even a .357 so she could work up to it. But she does some promo work for a beverage company, and I want the gun on her. not in her purse. so obviously worried about concealment. since she wont be in loose clothing , it has to be small. I know she is going to be recoil shy, so the lcp is probably out of the question. I was thinking an sr22 for her ( i am a ruger guy myself.) i know i should not get it for her without her looking at it. and also ive heard the sr22 is easy to work the slide. (she has to work hard with my sr9c.) So what do you guys and gals think? good gun? or go with a revolver?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Best thing would be to take her to a shop and let her hold as many as possible, and even better if you find a few people to let her shoot some of what they have. Main thing dont buy her what you want her to have. Buy her what she is most comfortable with. If all she has shot are some rimfire rifles i would think a .357mag would be a little excessive. Perhaps a nice .32 revolver my GF has one that she likes alot when doesnt carry her m&p9.:twocents:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Best thing would be to take her to a shop and let her hold as many as possible, and even better if you find a few people to let her shoot some of what they have. Main thing dont buy her what you want her to have. Buy her what she is most comfortable with. If all she has shot are some rimfire rifles i would think a .357mag would be a little excessive. Perhaps a nice .32 revolver my GF has one that she likes alot when doesnt carry her m&p9.:twocents:

I agree. :yesway:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

This with one difference. The .357 magnum is not that bad. A young lady that comes into the shop hates shooting her kel tec .380 because of recoil and flash and loves her 3 inch .357 magnum because, in her words "It doesn't jump around like that little bitty one."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This with one difference. The .357 magnum is not that bad. A young lady that comes into the shop hates shooting her kel tec .380 because of recoil and flash and loves her 3 inch .357 magnum because, in her words "It doesn't jump around like that little bitty one."
    :laugh::laugh:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    having a gun is better than not having anything...but if you think you may need it don't you want it to be able to do it's job??? stay away from anything less than .38/.380 for protection

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    ive heard the sr22 is easy to work the slide. (she has to work hard with my sr9c.) So what do you guys and gals think? good gun? or go with a revolver?
    How is she chambering the round on the SR9? Technique can aid in slide manuipulation, Have her take a good firing grip and with her support hand grasp the top of the slide between her finger tips and palm and pull back towards her shoulder while pushing the frame of the weapon forward. Have her pull hard and let the slide come out of her hand when it comes to the end of the frame. Don't slow down and don't be gentle it will not break.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    My daughter came to me the other day asking about a LTCH. She doesn't feel safe in her apartment. I got an assortment of handguns for her to try - 380 pistol, 9mm pistol, 357 snubbie, 357 service revolver & a 20 gauge pump shotgun. Currently the 357 snubbie is her favorite. Next is more range work, NRA basic class, LTCH. I'm going to put a lot of effort into her selection of what works for her. Who knows what she will end up with...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    my girlfriend wanted one of those keychain sized 22s to throw in her purse. I am reccommending a 380 as small but still effective, though the kickback on the little ones ie kel tec lcp may be too much for her

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've been thinking about getting my wife a .38 special/.357 mag....Ruger sp101 in snub nose maybe. That was she can shoot .38 sp and .357 mag...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ruger SP101 is a great choice. Ruger LCR is surprising comfortable. An older all steel Taurus 85 is a solid choice. Nothing wrong with a glock 19 or 26. My wife really likes her Walther PK380 and she has arthritis.

Now I want to go gun shopping with the Ol Lady. :D

coolcat1104

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    First gun

I agree with sgreen3, let her hold and shoot as many guns as possible, take the time to let her know her options so that she is completely satisfied with her decision!
    Mine chose the lcp 380 ruger with laser.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    Guys, don't try to pick out a gun for anyone else. You should not buy them what YOU think they need. What is good for you can be terrible for someone else. As a firearms instructor here in Richmond, who teaches NRA classes and private and defensive pistol, I have seen this too many times where a husband, father, boyfiend and his friend, child, spouse show up with the gun that they were told they should have, and it wasnt the right firearm for the new shooter.
    Take them to a range or instructor who has several gun styles they can try and then LET THEM PICK THE ONE THEY WANT !

Caliber? caliber needs to be what the new shooter is comfortable with and can shoot. I like bigger is better also, but remember the Kroger store managerin Indy last month? he killed the bad guy with a .380 and saved his employee.

Any gun is better than no gun, but ideally it's whatever the new shooter can become proficient with !

Bruce

Judy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    Please do not encourage your GF & wives to carry in their purse. What is the first thing that an AH trys to take from a female? I OC and CC either my .38 spl or Glock 26 even for a small woman these can be carryed, summer clothing makes it more of a challenge.

s@w410

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    my wife got the s@w .380 bodygaurd, she loves the laser and the easy concealment, but says my .40 cal has less kick

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I went to several gun shops repeatedly and handled lots and lots of guns, as well as at the 1500. I ultimately bought a Sigma 9. I keep it for home protection, because I don't like how heavy it is on my belt. I'm looking for something a lot smaller and lighter that I can keep in my purse. I like the Diamondback, and I've also been looking at a 9mm revolver. Weight is definitely my biggest concern now that I have one that I've decided I don't like to carry.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I went to several gun shops repeatedly and handled lots and lots of guns, as well as at the 1500. I ultimately bought a Sigma 9. I keep it for home protection, because I don't like how heavy it is on my belt. I'm looking for something a lot smaller and lighter that I can keep in my purse. I like the Diamondback, and I've also been looking at a 9mm revolver. Weight is definitely my biggest concern now that I have one that I've decided I don't like to carry.
    9mm revolvers do exist and makes a lot of sense if they share ammo with your automatic. Problem is you don't see many around and you have to use moon clips. There are several nice sub compact autos on the market. Ruger LC9, Glock 26, Diamondback, and Kahr PM9 or CM9 come up frequently. I actually prefer a small. 38 special revolver. The Smith & Wesson 642 and Ruger LCR are solid guns. Both are very light.

Top Bottom