• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My sister wants a knife, either for the kitchen or for stabbing, I really feel like it’s better to not ask so I leaned towards kitchen use. I figured I might as well try to learn a new technique in the process, because I know it won’t be perfect, and it’s not, but she’ll appreciate it regardless. 1E5D264B-7F23-4823-93B2-5D225A9B79C2.jpeg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    We should get a thread going of the cool **** we all make.

You make beautiful stuff you should show it off more.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    my 16 yr old just started playing around with it. he got a 2 burner propane forge. so for he is having fun and getting frustration out on it and is out of the house. any pointers? also thinking of getting a 55 pound anvil to start.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    my 16 yr old just started playing around with it. he got a 2 burner propane forge. so for he is having fun and getting frustration out on it and is out of the house. any pointers? also thinking of getting a 55 pound anvil to start.
    I’m pretty new to forging, I’ve Meade several with stock removal. Really the only pointers I have is use thick steel, 3/16 or 1/4”, it is easier than 1/8” stock, and use known steel. It’s fine to make some out of scrap stuff is fine but if you don’t know the type of steel it’s hard to get a proper heat treatment. 1080/1084 is very forgiving for heat treating, and is all I’ve made my knives out of so far. It will get razor sharp and hold an edge. The only down side is it will rust.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I would but there’s probably to much swearing, I’m kinda teaching myself and, well, sometimes it’s a little frustrating :lmfao: But thank you!
    Could at least document some of the steps as you go with pictures instead of video. Not every single step, but some of the progression. Be really cool to see and watch.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Could at least document some of the steps as you go with pictures instead of video. Not every single step, but some of the progression. Be really cool to see and watch.
    I have a few pictures of the progress. The second photo you can really see the hamon, my first try at one, it kind of washed out after I cleaned up the blade. I hear 1084 doesn’t take a hamon well.
    21475174-A4EC-40EE-854C-52AB8CF5573F.jpeg
    02CAF7B9-5F3E-4B8A-AA67-8C95A89BFCD3.jpeg 58BC5FB3-25EA-40C0-8EE8-6707F0128CC0.jpeg

spalfano

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    New Palestine
    Get a stainless steel ball bearing and check anvil rebound. Dead anvils are no good. I’d recommend looking into the subject. You bounce the ball bearing off the top and see how much rebound you get. YouTube has some videos on it. Also, research steels that are easy to learn on. Some are just hard move and sharpen. Those are not good for learning. Start with scrap steel like leaf springs from junkyards. Plus it’s inexpensive! Clean the steel to shine and get rid of corrosion, dirt, and paint. Anything not clean won’t forge right. Try finding a public or pay to use forge. Lots of people learning and teaching in those places. Great place to meet people who are passionate about the craft as well as experienced in it. Most of all… tell him to have fun and be safe.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'll pass on the advice I got from the blacksmith that has been teaching me.

Get a bunch of mild steel. Make 100 knives, then throw them in the scrap pile and start making knives out of spring steel.

Also to be helpful here are so basic steps of making a knife.

Let's say your start with a one by 1/4 inch flat bar stock.

Get one end hot, then put it on the anvil all the way to the edge holding it like of you were holding a knife. Put a taper on the end near the edge of the anvil.
    So it looks kinda like this

______\

Now you'll want to taper down the bottom part (depicted above as _ )

Hammering on both sides equally. The truck is down draw the metal out, moreso try to taper it by pushing the metal back up towards the spine.

As you hammer the bottom it will push the taper to the top. Be careful now to over work through blad ebit or you will end up with a banana shape.

Once the blade is defined. Set the entire blade off the side of the anvil and give some half faced blows to off set the blade from the handle.

Then draw out the handle. Put a scroll on the top then roll it over the horn to the blade

Bam you just made a "blacksmith knife"

Screenshot_20230312-014717-193.png
    Here's a horrible blacksmith knife I made a couple weeks ago. It's the second one I've made.

Top Bottom