• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Bought it used for what I think was a great price with 2 mags, plastic holster, and original box. Only thing missing was the cable lock key, and I'm not too concerned with it. It even came with some character already.

The manual says to only oil the barrel front and back, and one drop on each side of the slide. Its not that I don't trust the manual, but I was raised by my grandpa to keep any metal oiled that slides over another part, such as the spring and guiderod. What are your suggestions?

I'm also thinking of dumping the stock grips for a dark colored double diamond wood set. How well do you think it will look with the stock finish of this gun? Its almost a semigloss plastic coating, very slick feeling.

5806179447_05865d309b.jpg

5806179449_bc52365164.jpg

What about that bend in the spring? I dont see how that could hurt anything, but as stated its my first handgun and I'll be the first to admit I don't know near as much as I would like about these things.

I've put 150 rounds through it already though, with 2 rounds early on not loading, and one time the slide locked back with one round left in the mag. All the safeties work as best as I can test them. The only thing I think could be better would be the slide release, as its quite hard to release with just one hand. It does seem to be getting better the more I use it though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The recoil springs tend to get that way on a stock (not full length) guide rod. I would get a keep a spare spring anyway. Lubing the barrel bushing and the barrel hood as well as the frame rails are good, just like the book said. I also oil the barrel link and keep a blued pistol wiped down with an oily rag to prevent rust. Looks like a good pistol. Enjoy it

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have 2 paras and love them both, and am sure you will too. Did you give it a good scrubbing when you first got it. If it is filthy that might help it ftf like you said. Be sure to take apart and clean the inside of the mags also. A lot of people dont realize you need to do this, and it can make a huge difference. (I found out the hard way). As to oiling some 1911 type pistols like to run "wet" and some "dry" you just need to learn which your pistol likes better.:dunno:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I have 2 paras and love them both, and am sure you will too. Did you give it a good scrubbing when you first got it. If it is filthy that might help it ftf like you said. Be sure to take apart and clean the inside of the mags also. A lot of people dont realize you need to do this, and it can make a huge difference. (I found out the hard way). As to oiling some 1911 type pistols like to run "wet" and some "dry" you just need to learn which your pistol likes better.:dunno:

I did field strip it and cleaned out the barrel, but nothing else. It was bought used from a shop, so they had it pretty clean to start with. I did notice some residue in the barrel once I got it home though, so I ran a brush through it. After shooting it I gave it a much better cleaning of course, but I have not touched the mags yet. Might look into that when I get home this week and try it out again.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I prefer to slingshot the slide to release. I was taught that the lever is a slide STOP lever, not slide release. To each his own. I still find myself using it, muscle memory is hard to overcome. This is why training is very important. Very nice first handgun getting a 1911. You started with the best.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Bought it used for what I think was a great price with 2 mags, plastic holster, and original box. Only thing missing was the cable lock key, and I'm not too concerned with it. It even came with some character already.

The manual says to only oil the barrel front and back, and one drop on each side of the slide. Its not that I don't trust the manual, but I was raised by my grandpa to keep any metal oiled that slides over another part, such as the spring and guiderod. What are your suggestions?

I'm also thinking of dumping the stock grips for a dark colored double diamond wood set. How well do you think it will look with the stock finish of this gun? Its almost a semigloss plastic coating, very slick feeling.

5806179447_05865d309b.jpg

5806179449_bc52365164.jpg

What about that bend in the spring? I dont see how that could hurt anything, but as stated its my first handgun and I'll be the first to admit I don't know near as much as I would like about these things.

I've put 150 rounds through it already though, with 2 rounds early on not loading, and one time the slide locked back with one round left in the mag. All the safeties work as best as I can test them. The only thing I think could be better would be the slide release, as its quite hard to release with just one hand. It does seem to be getting better the more I use it though.

Excellent pistol and an outstanding first choice.

You must be a bit smarter than me.... I bought many pistols before I got my first 1911.... and the full size 1911 is by far my favorite. I use one for my carry whenever my dress requirements allow for it. (other days I have to go with one of the backups...and wish the whole time I had a 1911 instead).

I've always followed the same advice your grandfather had and keep a light coat of oil on all the metal... have never had a problem doing so.

It looks like yours has no idiot mark too! Be careful to keep it that way!

Enjoy it... but I have to warn you.... once you have one 1911 you are going to want more!

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    It looks like yours has no idiot mark too! Be careful to keep it that way!

Well, it does actually. I didn't notice it at first, it kinda blended in with the rest of the character. Funny thing is though, theres very little resistance at all when putting the slide stop in properly. Guess its not called the idiot mark for nothing, eh?

Been reading on the OC post.. really need to get down to the station and pay for my LTCH.. kinda interested to see if I could get over my normal meekness to carry this openly. I'm a fairly average sized American.. 5'9" and around 185, but this is still a pretty big gun.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Well, it does actually. I didn't notice it at first, it kinda blended in with the rest of the character. Funny thing is though, theres very little resistance at all when putting the slide stop in properly. Guess its not called the idiot mark for nothing, eh?

Been reading on the OC post.. really need to get down to the station and pay for my LTCH.. kinda interested to see if I could get over my normal meekness to carry this openly. I'm a fairly average sized American.. 5'9" and around 185, but this is still a pretty big gun.

Well the mark must be pretty light... like you said though, it's part of the character.

You might be surprised how easy it is to carry a full size 1911 in a concealed fashion. It may be a big pistol, but it is thin.

I use a Galco high riding leather holster. I pull a T shirt over it and it is hardly noticable... and it is more comfortable than many smaller pistols in an IWB holster.

I rarely OC given that it makes some nervous. That said, it is amazing how many times I have OC and many don't seem to notice... I guess it depends.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Very nice 1911! :yesway:

I think she'd look fine with a pair of wood double diamond stocks. Are the originals plastic or rubber?

Kbouma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Howe, IN
    Great choice. I bought a brand new Para 1911 GI Expert ESP about a month ago and love it. Congrats and welcome to the club! :):

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Very nice 1911! :yesway:

I think she'd look fine with a pair of wood double diamond stocks. Are the originals plastic or rubber?

Plastic grips. Those, with the coating on the gun remind me very much of an old pull spring dart/pellet gun I used to have. Its also about the same weight and size too, which makes it a conscious effort to treat it with that much more respect.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Plastic grips. Those, with the coating on the gun remind me very much of an old pull spring dart/pellet gun I used to have. Its also about the same weight and size too, which makes it a conscious effort to treat it with that much more respect.

Yeah...your 1911 will make a much larger hole in a target than that old dart/pellet gun!! :D

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    What a nice gun. I need to get out and find one to shoot. Im in the market for a 1911 and would really like to make the right purchasing decision.

fiveduece

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Terre Haute
    thanks for the info. I believe the GI expert is going to be my first 1911 as well. Was hoping Id find some info on here about them. They seem to be very reasonable on price compared to some other brands.

Top Bottom