• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    So, I landed a new job. Actually, they sought me out and recruited me from my part-time tech support job... anywho... It appears that I'm going to be joining the many other people that commute to Chi-town from NWI...

I've been to Chicago all of about 6-7 times since I moved to the flatlands, and I have no problem driving there, but it's just not even remotely cost-effictive. So it'll be the south shore for me, and another 9 block walk (or cab if it REALLY effing cold). Any pointers I should take heed to? Things to watch for? I really hate to throw out the small-town-boy-in-the-big-city crap, but that's kinda what it is... Obviously carrying a piece is out of the question, but I'm open to any other tips or opinions...

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Jedi and another member here can't remember her handle off the top of my head, take the southshore daily. Jedi is on his winter hiatus so not sure if he'll reply to a PM.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The nine block walk could be interesting, depending where it starts and ends. Credentials: I grew up in Chicago. In a whole lot of areas, any nine block walk will put you near dirtbags. I'd do a lot of thinking before taking this job.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    depends on where the 9 blocks take you. i live close enough to ride my bicycle to chicago and dont have problems but it depends on which route i take if ill have trouble. dont walk down dark alleys.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Agreed with HoughMade, you should be fine within walking distance of the loop. Even while walking on the lower levels of Michigan/Wacker you won't run into much to be concerned about especially during rush-hours. The pan-handlers are generally on the upper levels trying to hit up the crowds.

The rush-hour trains can be pretty packed some days, but that stacks the odds in your favor. The weirdos usually end up on the 8-midnight trains.

Good news though, you can enjoy a couple drinks on your commute now! Oh, and you'll need something to keep you occupied for that hour and a half. The scenery just isn't that exciting.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Agreed with HoughMade, you should be fine within walking distance of the loop. Even while walking on the lower levels of Michigan/Wacker you won't run into much to be concerned about especially during rush-hours. The pan-handlers are generally on the upper levels trying to hit up the crowds.

The rush-hour trains can be pretty packed some days, but that stacks the odds in your favor. The weirdos usually end up on the 8-midnight trains.

Good news though, you can enjoy a couple drinks on your commute now! Oh, and you'll need something to keep you occupied for that hour and a half. The scenery just isn't that exciting.

Are you saying the south side of Chicago and southeast side aren't pretty to look at?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Commuted to the southeast side (Hyde Park) for 16 years. Then did the loop for two. No more for me. Pretty much spoiled with my current commute from Portage to Valpo. Good luck.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Today's news...broken rail delays South Shore Trains. Winter sucks on the South Shore. Summer is a little better. Cold weather, snow, and trains with overhead electric lines are a recipe for delays, and cancellations. Be sure you catch a train that should get you there somewhat earlier than you need to be there, and have a backup plan in place for those days that the train doesn't run. I work in Chicago also...I drive.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I'd say the same as everyone else. If you're going to the millennium station, 9 blocks in any direction is fine. The loop is generally much safer than anywhere else. Gotta keep all them tourists coming back. I would stay on the major streets for as long as possible, though. The ones with a lot of foot traffic, for as far as you can during the walk. Those little side streets can get some peddlers.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, it's to Millennium station... then a long, hurried walk up randolph, and another block up upper wacker.. Job doesn't seem too bad, but then again it was only the first day.. Left from Miller... by the time we got past Gary, it was standing room only... glad I get on earlier.... Be on the lookout for the bearded guy with glasses and a black, blue, and white jacket that looks like he's hating life... lol

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Yeah, it's to Millennium station... then a long, hurried walk up randolph, and another block up upper wacker.. Job doesn't seem too bad, but then again it was only the first day.. Left from Miller... by the time we got past Gary, it was standing room only... glad I get on earlier.... Be on the lookout for the bearded guy with glasses and a black, blue, and white jacket that looks like he's hating life... lol

Watch out for a guy getting on the 5:00 A.M. train in East Chicago, IN playing with pink LEGOS.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And make sure you are at the stop before the train pulls in. I remember people running from the parking lot at Dune Park and pounding on the door as the train was pulling away...the last train that would get you to Chicago by 9 a.m. Trains do not stop and wait for you. If you are not in line when the doors open for you get on, you likely are not going to make it. They are not like the school bus!

I took the train to the Shedd Aquarium and then risked life and limb crossing traffic and dealing with the bums in the park who didn't like us walking through their "House" in the morning. The one used to chase us with beer bottles to get out of his space. That was before they revamped Lake Shore Drive and we still had the old rickety train station and platform.

I hated the evening commute in the fall/winter when it was dark and did my best to avoid going to the train alone at that time. Our station was not as busy as downtown so being on that platform alone was not unusual. I kept my mace and my cell phone handy and am pretty sure I averted something at least once. I had stayed late for a meeting and was alone on the platform. Two guys showed up and were walking toward me, looking over their shoulder, etc. I was very uncomfortable and picked up my cell and pretended to call someone. I then proceeded to tell the person where I was and that it was just me and these two guys and described them down to their socks. I made sure they heard me. I also made sure to state that I thought I had just left something at he security desk and could my friend pick it up since I knew they were coming along right behind me. Those guys turned around and left immediately. Coincidence? Maybe but I felt better when they were gone and I was on the train.

Top Bottom