• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We have our own INGO NFA wait times thread. Might be worth extracting that info and working up a trend line graph.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think the 6-8 week estimate was by a new hire reading off of the official sheet, not someone speaking from experience. The backlog is so great that I just don't see any way it'll get reduced so drastically so soon.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I agree, however, it may not be so far fetched. According to the links below, they processed 137k forms in 2012. That works out to about 11,400 forms per month. There is currently a backlog 37k forms. If they process them at that 11,400 forms per month, that works out to be about 13 weeks or 91 days. It isnt 6-8 weeks, but that is a heck of a lot quicker than 6-8 months. Realistically, Im sure the backlog will build up some as people get tax money, and who knows if they are consistently processing 11k forms per month. Either way, the below links are some interesting reading with information provided by the ATF at SHOT 2013.

2013 SHOT Show Town Hall Meeting | Prince Law Offices, P.C.
    SHOT Show ATF Town Hall

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree, however, it may not be so far fetched. According to the links below, they processed 137k forms in 2012. That works out to about 11,400 forms per month. There is currently a backlog 37k forms. If they process them at that 11,400 forms per month, that works out to be about 13 weeks or 91 days.http://www.nfatcaforums.org/showthread.php?61-SHOT-Show-ATF-Town-Hall

Unless they're receiving 11,500 forms per month, in which case the backlog is growing by 100 forms per month. Either way, 9 more examiners will surely help, but I'm not holding my breath about seeing times dropping down to the 30-days they should be at.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Yeah, I didn't really take that into account, because I assumed they were narrowing the gap. Regardless, I think things are getting better. Hopefully tax time won't hit them to hard and set everything back an extra month or two.

Top Bottom