• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    Has anyone cut down a stock before? I just started taking my 7 year old son shooting and my Glenfield Model 60 stock is just too long for him. Any suggestions? I have a Ruger 10-22 and Tapco makes an M4 style collapsable stock. Maybe that would work better?

Scott

theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    Never cut one down, but my daughter is 8, I bought her a rossi single shot that has both the 410 and 22 barrels. Its a nice start for her. She shoots it well and is very comfortable with it. It fits nicely in her hands. The rossi is a little bigger than the crickets are. I think it was only like $150 with both barrels. My be a better option than making your rifle work.
    Hope that helps

Here is a link to one on gunbroker if your not familar with them
    Youth Rossi Matched Pair 22 LR & 410 Barrels Case : Single Shot at GunBroker.com

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    Yeah I have reservations about cutting it down. It was my first gun and I got it around 1975. Maybe I need to get him his own 10-22.

Scott

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cut one down for my son. I actually bought the model 60 to cut down, so it had no real sentimental attachment to me. I saved the piece and refinished the stock and the piece at the same time. When he was older, I remounted the piece. I kind of wish I had just bought him a youth single shot, because he spent more time rapid firing and making noise than he did actually aiming and working on controlled shots.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Yeah I have reservations about cutting it down. It was my first gun and I got it around 1975. Maybe I need to get him his own 10-22.

Scott
    I cut down the stock on my Glenfield Model 60 for my daughter to start shooting it turned out fine.
    If you have reservations about cutting your stock you could buy a 10/22 or go to a gun show or pawn shop & buy another Glenfield Model 60. I have seen a few lately going for $95 to $125. You could cut down the stock on the new gun & keep the old one for yourself. And a plus, your son will get a lick out of having & shooting a gun just like dad's. ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As an uncle to many younger shooters, I believe length of pull is the second most critical concern for a youngster (weight being first).

Two stocks is an option, but nothing wrong with cutting down the LOP on the original weapon. American long guns come with far too long LOPs anywho.

Keep in mind that the Europe guns already come with a proper length of pull, e.g., CZ-USA -> CZ 452 Scout

As well, Ruger makes a compact version of the 10/22 which I have bought for my nephews: Ruger 10/22 Compact Autoloading Rifle

RRSS440

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I started my little ones with the Rossi combo also. I was afraid to cut down a stock of a perfectly good gun, for no other reason than feeling like I was ruining something.

I would agree weight is the #1 factor in safety, don't get a gun to big expecting them to "grow into it" it will turn them of from shooting. I put a cheap scope on the 22 Rossi and the little guy can hit what he aims at, and it keeps him shooting, which is the name of the game!

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I shortened a mod 60 stock an inch and refinished it for my wife. It was really satisfying to see her face when she opened and saw her present, now my daughter wants me to "fix" hers, she really likes my g22 so I saw a bullpup kit for the model 60 thats not a muzzlelite. Here is a pic of the wifes mod 60.
    march192011012.jpg

Top Bottom