• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For the budget that you have indicated, you could do a lot better in quality. That particular Browning Black Label model uses a low quality steel, and I would guess it is manufactured in China because of the steel that is being used.

Rule of Thumb: With the exception of HK (Made by Benchmade - USA)...... currently, any knife that is manufactured with a firearm brand name is usually very low quality, and is not actually being manufactured, or is it associated with the firearm company's name that is on it.

:twocents:

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    For the budget that you have indicated, you could do a lot better in quality. That particular Browning Black Label model uses a low quality steel, and I would guess it is manufactured in China because of the steel that is being used.

Rule of Thumb: With the exception of HK (Made by Benchmade - USA)...... currently, any knife that is manufactured with a firearm brand name is usually very low quality, and is not actually being manufactured, or is it associated with the firearm company's name that is on it.

I sell S&W/Schrade @ work, they're farmed out to Taylor Knives and manufactured in China. That's why I haven't bought the Browning yet, I figured it was too. I included the link more as a visual guide. What would you recommend based on what I'm looking for?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I sell S&W/Schrade @ work, they're farmed out to Taylor Knives and manufactured in China. That's why I haven't bought the Browning yet, I figured it was too. I included the link more as a visual guide. What would you recommend based on what I'm looking for?

For under a $100.00, I would look at the Becker (KaBar) models. USA made, life time warranty, good customer service, decent quality materials, and a whole lot of different models to choose from.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Any reason you're set on a tanto? It's hard to beat an ESEE 3 or 4 at your price point.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Any reason you're set on a tanto? It's hard to beat an ESEE 3 or 4 at your price point.

I've had a couple of folders that I loved, for the cheap ass Chinese junk they were. I carried drop points for years and they're great, I also carried a rigging knife with a straight blade. A tanto is kind of the best of both worlds.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Another option might be Ontario, the heat treat on the 1095 and the 5160 is good.

I'd also call Battle Horse knives and see if they have a tanto blade laying around. Dan is always making one off runs and experimental so they might have something. Great quality and fit and finish for the money, and very good people

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    \Rule of Thumb: With the exception of HK (Made by Benchmade - USA)...... currently, any knife that is manufactured with a firearm brand name is usually very low quality, and is not actually being manufactured, or is it associated with the firearm company's name that is on it.

^ This is a good rule of thumb. About the only other exceptions I can think of is Glock. Decent knife for what you're paying for it, but pretty no frills just like their pistols.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    ^ This is a good rule of thumb. About the only other exceptions I can think of is Glock. Decent knife for what you're paying for it, but pretty no frills just like their pistols.

I forgot about the Glock knife that is actually made by Glock. The only problem I have with them is, they really don't indicate what steel they use. Glock states they use a spring steel which is a generic name for a wide variety of steels. Also, I have read more than once that the RC can range from 50 t0 55. That is a little on the low side for hardness.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I forgot about the Glock knife that is actually made by Glock. The only problem I have with them is, they really don't indicate what steel they use. Glock states they use a spring steel which is a generic name for a wide variety of steels. Also, I have read more than once that the RC can range from 50 t0 55. That is a little on the low side for hardness.

Matches the hardness of the glock plastic :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I got one from the prize table at a big pistol match about 10 years ago. It's an interesting novelty and would work if I didn't have another knife available. I would not pay money for one as the geometry does not lend itself to be a good cutting tool, it's too light to be a chopper, and as Brad mentioned, we have no idea about the materials.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    You might look at the H&K (Benchmade) Dispatch. 4.3" tanto blade, D2 steel. Looks like it sells around $60. Not sure what kind of sheath it has though.

I'm giving this one some serious thought. I like the KA-Bar stuff, but the guard is a bit big. Gerber has a couple that are close, but my experience with their newer stuff is they're not worth the price.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I was going to suggest a Kabar tanto. Especially in the short version. I don't think the finger guard is too big either. KaBar is still a good seller for me. I usually only carry in stock the short tanto.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I was going to suggest a Kabar tanto. Especially in the short version. I don't think the finger guard is too big either. KaBar is still a good seller for me. I usually only carry in stock the short tanto.

What is a KaBar short Tanto, with a non-serrated blade, run through you?

Top Bottom