• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    So on a .22 I bought a while back it has a flat crown, like completely flat. It almost looks like it has been ground or done with some sort of stone judging by the look of the metal. And by the fact that it isn't blued like the rest of the gun I think it was done by a previous owner.

So my question, is a flat crown like this normal? Is it better then others?
    I really don't seem to be getting very good accuracy out of this rifle so would it be the crown causing this?
    I have tried all sorts of different ammo and nothing makes it better.
    At this point I am not sure if it is the crown causing my problem or if this rifle is worn out. But the rifiling and bore looks okay so it is odd.

So would getting it recrowned make a difference? Maybe an 11* crown?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What's the .22?

It is fairly normal for a certain era of .22 Target rifles.

It's 100% a okay. Preferred in fact.

The 11 degree thing is highly overrated for even indoor-tested centerfires, and the low LOW muzzle pressure of a .22LR makes negligible those effects which can BARELY be discerned in heavy rifles.

Check the crown with strong light and a magnifying glass; you're looking for burrs that shine light back at you from a different angle than the crown or rifling.

Another easy button is to use a swab rubbed around on the crown to see if it catches on any burrs

What kind of accuracy are you seeing, and with what ammo and setup?

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    It is a Hawthorne sentry .22LR. I think I picked it up for like $80 at the time.

I will have to take a closer look at the crown when I get home later and I can let you know what is there.

Well I set it up on a sight in rest and tried a few different stuff. I tried some CCI high velocity, some Winchester Golden bullet hollow points, a few of the cheap Winchester white box, and then I had half a box of eley match ammo. Between all of this I never got better then a 5-6" group at 50yards.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How long is the barrel on that old rifle that you have, OP?

A quick Google search showed many to have somewhat long barrels. Perhaps yours was just chopped off?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My anschutz has a flat crown, most target rifles do,

Eley, SK, RWS ammo prob won' show great promise in your rifle as the chamber is a loose spotter chamber

Cci sv should show some promise, but try all ammo, my ruger likes aguila hv......

Clean the barrel very good make sure there is no leading or carbon ring in the barrel, a heavy trigger can lead to poor groups as well, is your barrel free floated? Is the receiver making solid contact? Take down screws tight?

Now the crown..... it the crown MUST be at 90 degrees to the bore, or the gun will throw shots all over the place......

A dirty firing pin causing inconsistent ignition may also be at fault

Good luck and keep us posted

Aaron

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Some good advice in Aaron's post there.

There are a LOT of reasons you could be getting poor groups.
    --Fully check the sighting system for loose nuts, bolts, crosshairs, etc.
    --Check for appropriate torque on the action screw(s)...should be about 25 ft lbs...NO more. Woods stocks can start compressing at 28 lbs, and that's not what we want.
    --Check the crown.
    --Clean the bore FULLY, and brush the chamber, then examine it with strong light to check for bulges (looks like a dark spot, or band, all the way around the inside of the barrel like a donut) or other damage.
    --If you have a go gauge, check the headspace of the bolt...it could have been swapped out.
    --Disassemble said bolt and inspect the firing pin and spring.

--Please take a couple pictures from the back, and toward the edge, of the firing pin indention in a fired casing.

-Nate

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    It has about a 19" barrel. So it is possible it was cut down.
    Barrel has been cleaned many times and is very clean, I made sure of that first. As for any bulging, I haven't really checked but I do t really have reason to believe that could be it.

Bolt is clean, everything functions great, firing pin moves smooth, extractor moves smooth.

I can get pics of a spent shell when I go to the range next, I don't have any on hand.

It has a Bushnell x3-9 scope on it. Everything is torqued correctly and snug. No play in scope or mounts.

I don't know that it is free floated. But it does seem to be a very tight fit between the action and stock.
    Not like over tight, like it sits in there very well without forcing anything.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Free floating doesn't always help thin receiver rimfire rifles. They don't hang barrels very well. But sometimes they do. But not always.

So the only way to know is to try it. If it screws everything up, you'll have to pour an epoxy pad for the barrel.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Look at most heavy/bull barrels for 10/22s and you'll find they are either flat or 11*. Ruger MKII/III pistol heavy barrels are flat crowned.

Top Bottom