• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    so my passport weathered a little bit of moisture (sweat, rain etc) in Europe, and stayed in my pocket for most of the time. Its a little curved up at the edges, and it ticks me off... I've tried leaving it under heavy books, and its currently under my laptop in the hopes of flattening it out, but I"ve had no luck so far. It seems that no matter what I do, it always pops back to curled up...

anyone had experience with this?

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I'd say try low heat and steam from an iron before pressing it under LOTS of books and weights, but if it's one of the new passports with electronics inside, I would not do that. Just leave it alone is your best option--it's got character now. Mine is all beat to heck from being carried for months on end, but to me it just looks better now. Nice and... well traveled.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    If I were you I would just leave it. They tend to frown on passports that have been steamed out. Especially, like Flintlock said, if it's one of the newer ones with the chip in it. You may want to pick up a case for it though. That will protect it in the future.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    When I leave the US, First thing I do when i reach my hotel room is leave my passport in the hotel safe so it doesn't get damaged or stolen

You must not visit very exciting places. ;) I tend to visit places where my passport is frequently checked at military roadblocks so it stays in my pocket (and hence gets curled a bit). :cool:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    its one of the 'chipped ones. :facepalm: I think I'll just live with it. setting it under my laptop for a day seems to have smoothed it out a little, but I do like the notion that it looks well-travelled.

as for putting it in hotel safes... I stayed in hostels my whole time in Europe... I don't neccesarily distrust the people in hostels, but I do not trust them. I'll keep it in my pocket, thanks. :):

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My passport got curled when I was in china last summer. I put it under books and it flattened out. I'm leaving soon for a month long backpacking trip through Thailand and Cambodia. I assume it will get messed up again.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    its one of the 'chipped ones. :facepalm: I think I'll just live with it. setting it under my laptop for a day seems to have smoothed it out a little, but I do like the notion that it looks well-travelled.

as for putting it in hotel safes... I stayed in hostels my whole time in Europe... I don't neccesarily distrust the people in hostels, but I do not trust them. I'll keep it in my pocket, thanks. :):

When I travel in the US or in Europe I keep my passport in my own safe (like you I wouldnt trust a hotel safe) as much as I can and always carry other kinds of official ID.

If you have to carry it on your person you could get a case for it.

colorpass.jpg

Like this one.You have many models.
    It will protect the edges and protect it from sweat and some of them even have a waterproof pouch inside.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    You must not visit very exciting places. ;) I tend to visit places where my passport is frequently checked at military roadblocks so it stays in my pocket (and hence gets curled a bit). :cool:

Right! I always carry mine, it may be important to be able to Leave the country without going back to the hotel!! There was a time when having a credit card and a passport got me a ticket out, didn't care where, just as long as it was away! So mine always look all nasty from always being in my pocket, never been a problem and hey it makes you look like an experianced traveler :)

Top Bottom