• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Can anyone tell me what is involved in transporting a handgun when Flying commercial airlines please? What I need to know is, How must it be packed,where do I declare it at the airport, how is the ammunition transported and any other useful information that one might be able to provide. Please, I would prefer to hear from folks who actually DO travel with a firearm, rather than what someone thinks or has heard from somewhere (even if you are pretty sure). I am traveling for business and cannot afford a mis-understanding that would delay my trip. Thanks in advance

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Can anyone tell me what is involved in transporting a handgun when Flying commercial airlines please? What I need to know is, How must it be packed,where do I declare it at the airport, how is the ammunition transported and any other useful information that one might be able to provide. Please, I would prefer to hear from folks who actually DO travel with a firearm, rather than what someone thinks or has heard from somewhere (even if you are pretty sure). I am traveling for business and cannot afford a mis-understanding that would delay my trip. Thanks in advance

Call the airline you are flying and ask them for THEIR rules. That should save you any headaches. Just my :twocents:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The link here, The Gun Zone -- Flying without Fear also links to other resources, including the TSA one mentioned above. I have flown with handguns a couple of times. It is sorta a hassle but really not that big a deal. My only problem thus far was paying extra for too much weight(ammo) on my way to Houston. The way back was much lighter, about 500 rds of 9mm lighter.:):

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No, it is the airline you need to call. The TSA does not write the rules on this. They only enforce the rules that have been in place before the TSA was ever formed. Go to the airlines website and PRINT all of their info on declaring a firearms and carry it with you. Most of the counter agents do not know their own rules. Also MAKE SURE you know all of the laws concerning firerams possession in any and every city you may land in. People have been jailed for simply being unaware of the local law in places like NY and NJ and DC.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    No, it is the airline you need to call. The TSA does not write the rules on this. They only enforce the rules that have been in place before the TSA was ever formed. Go to the airlines website and PRINT all of their info on declaring a firearms and carry it with you. Most of the counter agents do not know their own rules. Also MAKE SURE you know all of the laws concerning firerams possession in any and every city you may land in. People have been jailed for simply being unaware of the local law in places like NY and NJ and DC.

Good advice. Get in touch with your airline, print the documents, you'll have no trouble. I've been traveling with firearms for almost 20 years, it's been pretty boring when you prepare.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've also flown with handguns a few times. Each airline has it's own policies in addtion to TSA rules. I have a very smple aluminum case with a good lock, go to the airport with gun unloaded and case unlocked for inspection. I never carry ammo cause prices don't vary a whole lot and that eliminates the seperation issue. If I was going hunting and liked a particular brand and lot number I had already tested then I'd bring it along. Going to FL. during X-mas plan to punch holes in paper with brother-in-law. So I'll just buy ammo down there.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Actually its the FAA that sets the base rules. I've flown a few times now with a firearm and the only problem I ran into was with the ammo. FAA rules say it must be in a box to protect the primers. Original factory box is fine per FAA rules. First time flying Untied Airlines, the factory cardboard box was fine with them. Second time fling American Airlines I was told the ammo had to be in a harden box when I checked in.

The other 2 times I flew armed for business reasons. I didn't have problems carrying onto the plane with all the paperwork I had. Just had to sit in the same row as the Air Marshal after being introduced to him and captain after everyone else was boarded.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Hey guys, Thanks for all the input. I am at the airport and i've elected not to bring my HG this time. I spoke to the Lady at the US Airways and she acted like it was pretty common and no big deal. If you want to bring your Rosco along, Just have it in a lockable hard case, unloaded, with the Ammo in the ORIGINAL box from the factory. I expect any factory box would be fine but I am only Thinking out loud. As I said before I could not afford a delay, but now, I am sorry I did not go bring one along. Next time I will and, I promise, I'll let everyone know how it all goes. Thanks again to those who responded

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The other problem is airports like Indianapolis with signs on every door saying you will be prosecuted for bringing any weapon into the building. Kind of hard to declare and check it if you have to leave it in the car.

Top Bottom