• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    A good friend of mine's little brother will be graduating from the Marine's Friday Dec 11th and I am looking to get him a knife as a gift. I don't know much about the rigors of his daily life so I'm looking for input.
    Currently my pick is the ZT 0350 serrated
    My budget is capped at $150
    Must be a folder
    Prefer America made
    Let me know what you guys think.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not a bad suggestion on the ZT - but get the plain edge.

I can't tell you how many partially serrated knives I've had that were HIGHLY aggravating to use because stuff would always catch on the serrations.

-J-

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I didn't know if the serrated would be an advantage cutting rope or webbing. My EDC only see's cardboard or tape a nice boring cubicle life, anything outside of that I use my ESEE 3.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Bench Made knives are tough to beat ! The also have several that Military or police only can purchase. Maybe a gift certificate is a good idea ! Knives and guns are like women ! A guy really should pick out his own !

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in the day before deployment I did a lot of research on what the best pocket knife out there was. There's some great options out there, but the reason I chose an Emerson knife was for these reasons:

1-Wave feature. You can open the knife as you draw it out of the pocket. Mechanically safe when opening a knife as fast as you can because in the field you may need that knife that quick.

2-Sturdy/Solid. Emerson knives are built like tanks, and they hold an edge.

3-Hardware. I can't stand to see tactical/field use knives that have allen head screws holding the whole thing together. I like to see simple phillips or flat head type screws so that in the case something gets loose you have a better chance of finding tools for repair/maintenance. Imagine being out in the field and a screw works loose for whatever reason, would you rather have to look for just the right allen wrench, of a flat piece of steel.

Having said all of that, the knife I trusted my life to at the time was an Emerson P-Sark. I used the heck out of that knife and it took care of me. My only grip about that knife is the thumb stud is screwed into the blade. Lots of good knives do that, but the beauty of the "spyderco" types of design is that a hole in the blade takes care of that need. Having serrations are a must for me. Sooner or later he's going to need to get rough with something. Whether it's a box, heavy rope, or some other heavy job, serrations pick up where straight edges leave off.

Everything above leads me to recommend what I consider to be pocket knife perfection and that's the Emerson CQC-10. I hope that helps.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Benchmade 275 Adamas. It was designed with the Military in mind. Yes, I can keep you at your $150.00 budget, regardless of the prices your seeing at other places.

275 Adamas

My EDC is a Benchmade Bone-collector axis while I love the rigidness of the D2 I have yet figure out how to sharpen it. Good thing for the life sharp program. They can fix all my mistakes.

I appreciate the offer and I will make sure and funnel my purchase though you regardless of which knife I choose.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My EDC is a Benchmade Bone-collector axis while I love the rigidness of the D2 I have yet figure out how to sharpen it. Good thing for the life sharp program. They can fix all my mistakes.

I appreciate the offer and I will make sure and funnel my purchase though you regardless of which knife I choose.

I had a D2 kabar and until I used a diamond stone on the blade every other sharpening device just made the knife dull. Once I got the diamond stones, I fell back in love with the knife.

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    The ZT 0350 is an excellence choice. I have had mine for 2 years now and it is flawless. I carry it every day. Very sharp and will cut through about anything. I prefer the non serrated blade, but that's my personal choice.

conan1rice

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Wayne County
    After army basic, i bought a benchmade AFOII and i love it. I got the stainless blade with tanto point. go automatic all the way. little pricy but defiantly worth the money.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    He seems to be doing well if I understand it correctly "which I may not". He has already received a promotion and is a possible candidate for the Honor Grad
    Special thanks to your son and his service to our country.
    Outstanding. My congratulations to a new Marine.

Our son is his Series Commander. After graduation, he moves to India Co. As their XO. I can guarantee that your friend's son is a credit to the Corps.

Semper fi and well done! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom