• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I found an interesting folding saw today while shopping at a local hardware store.

My local do it best had them for $13..

It is from Stanley Tools, it is called a Folding Pocket Saw and is part number 15-333.

Folding Pocket Saw measures 8" long when closed
    Folds like a jack knife for safe, easy storage
    Accepts standard sabre and reciprocating blades
    Blade storage in handle

Stanley Hand Tools :* 15-333 *-* 8" Folding Pocket Saw

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i use silky folding saws in all my bobs and in all my camping gear. they are pretty awesome and easy to use. also much more energy friendly than a axe and other chopping tools (don't let my cutting edge buddies see this though :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a very poor opinion on folding saws.We had a couple with us on our 16 day camping trip last year(https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ss/100488-16_days_of_camping.html#post1168020 ) .When you have any real cutting to do they are nearly useless. They do make really nice blisters though.
    I would get a decent hatchet or a camping axe.Much easier to cut wood with in my opinion.

Great hatchet for $30.00 http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E24A-...BO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1301449179&sr=8-12
    Or try one of the camp axes.
    http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E44A-...30/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1301449179&sr=8-13

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Interesting thanks for the info.

I already have a small hatchet, I was looking at a SOG or Kershaw but a more modernized one then I have.

I would agree about chopping versus sawing with a small handsaw.

I thought of the versatility of the one that utilized sawzall blades, you could cut steel, wood, pvc, copper, about anything you might come in contact with surviving in an urban environment.

You could cut cables, chains, padlocks, etc with a versatile blade configuration.

Thanks for the information..

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting thanks for the info.

I already have a small hatchet, I was looking at a SOG or Kershaw but a more modernized one then I have.

I would agree about chopping versus sawing with a small handsaw.

I thought of the versatility of the one that utilized sawzall blades, you could cut steel, wood, pvc, copper, about anything you might come in contact with surviving in an urban environment.

You could cut cables, chains, padlocks, etc with a versatile blade configuration.

Thanks for the information..
    Sears carries a key hole saw that uses blades from any sawzall.They are easily changed.Sounds like it may be the type of item you are looking for?
    I could not find it on Sears website,but here is the saw I am talking about. Milwaukee Folding Jab Saw, Model# 48-22-0305 | Hand Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have a very poor opinion on folding saws.We had a couple with us on our 16 day camping trip last year(https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ss/100488-16_days_of_camping.html#post1168020 ) .When you have any real cutting to do they are nearly useless. They do make really nice blisters though.
    I would get a decent hatchet or a camping axe.Much easier to cut wood with in my opinion.

Great hatchet for $30.00 Amazon.com: Estwing E24A Sportsman's Hatchet Metal Handle: Home Improvement
    Or try one of the camp axes.
    Amazon.com: Estwing E44A 16-Inch Steel Campers Axe: Patio, Lawn & Garden

i don't agree with this statement. i mean a axe is very nice but if your use good folding saws like the silkys (not gerber or fiskars) or corona's ect they are awesome and tear through wood. now don't get me wrong a nice axe is great but its a ton of weight and i can't very well fit it in my pocket or pack. to each his own though. my silkys and even my cheap gerbers rip through up to 4 inch logs with no problems. or if you want something else compact you can go with the sawvivor or Sven Saw 21 inch. they are pretty awesome too

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I carried a Sven saw for years on all my camping and canoeing trips.
    Lightweight and it breaks down into the handle. When assembled it was like a mini buick saw...triangular shap and tore the snot outta logs, etc.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've used the cheap pruning saws you can find at Lowes to good effect. They won't work to cut down a big tree, but are quicker than an axe or hatchet on smaller trees or limbs.

Top Bottom