For those that shoot USPSA moon clipped revolvers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I am looking at trying to shoot some USPSA next year but I am having trouble finding a load that meets the power factor of 155. I will be using my S&W 327 and shooting 38s in it. I would like to use cast bullets but I don't think I can make power factor with my 125 gn. I can cast 158 but that means changing my entire loading set up. I am not against ordering jacketed bullets but again i want to make sure I am not wasting my money, I do not have a chronograph so I have to go by load data. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    100-X

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I shoot ICORE and Steel Challenge with a few 627 revolvers. For those matches I load 158gr RN (Zero, swaged bullets). I don't know that you need to change your ENTIRE set up. Just powder charge and seating depth. I have 13 different 38 special loads, depending on the gun and use. Not difficult to change dies or powder charge.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Marvin02 thanks for the info, And Whip_McMord.I know i am being lazy. lol I load for cowboy with 125 gn and i have 4000 of them on hand. I was under the impression that I have to make Major power factor because the pistol is moon clipped and i do wanted to use them. I have thought about using this pistol for a while but will need to get the loads down and all the gear, Good Belt, moon clips. moon clip holder, and good holster for it. I just dont want to spend the money on all that gear and find out my loads are gong to be a problem.
    Thanks for the info.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I think minor is fine (if not required) for 8-shot revolvers. I haven't shot USPSA in quite a while, so others may know the Major/Minor question more than me. When I did shoot USPSA, I shot a 625 (6-shoot 45 ACP) and shot Major. I would just shoot minor and use those 125gr bullets. Below are some of the revolver rules.

APPENDIX D6

Revolver Division
    #9 - Maximum ammunition capacity: No, maximum of 6 rounds fired before reload if Major PF declared, 8 if minor PF declared.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Anything over 6 shots is scored minor no matter the the power factor you shoot in USPSA.
    6 shot guns can declare major or minor if they shoot the minimum PF which is 125 for minor and 165 for major.

Some of the rules you are quoting are IDPA rules and they are different than USPSA rules.
    which game are you wanting to play?
    BTW 8 shot guns(revolvers) are a no go in IDPA.

Last edited:

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Bosshoss, I would like to fine a good load for both games. I already load 38 and 45 for cowboy and a buddy and i want to branch out and shoot some other types of matches.
    thanks
    100X

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Bosshoss, I would like to fine a good load for both games. I already load 38 and 45 for cowboy and a buddy and i want to branch out and shoot some other types of matches.
    thanks
    100X
    What powder do you usually use or have available? What barrel length?

You could still use the 125's but you will have to push them pretty good.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    It is actually a little tricky making minor PF with a 38 or 9mm revolver.
    I would guess that 90%+ USPSA revolver shooters are using 160 grain bullets. Some use 147 or 135 and they usually are trying to use the same bullets as they use in a autoloader which has mixed results.
    45 I use 230 RN with clays powder. Easy to reload the gun with the RN bullets and easy to make major PF.
    I use the same load for USPSA, ICORE, and STEEL in my 38 super and short colt loads and would use that bullet in 38 special loads also.
    I use 160 Grain .358 Dia. bullet.
    Powders are what works best in each gun. Titegroup, clays, WST, VV320< and many others are used but usually a faster powder with the heavier bullets.

Top Bottom