• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Anyone have experience using 308 Winchester cases to make 300 savage cases? Any issues with neck thickness being to much and needing turned?

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    They are really close in origin, but think some changes were made when the .308 went NATO. I would anneal the case necks before forming and then I think you will find the necks will need turned. The head area is a little different. I would check the volume with water weight and reduce the load accordingly. Brands of brass differ.

At one time .300 was really hard to find, so this was a realistic endeavor. Now, it's just too much work. And you always have to worry about the head stamp.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I form it on occasion for one of my gfathers rifles. I just use 7.62x51 brass for forming mine. I start with a 300 size die and then run the formed case on the trimmer and trim to length are ready to load and fireform or load and shoot depending on ypur preference.
    Never had to cut any necks. Annealing first makes everything easier.

I would bet if you hunt the reloading supply houses and the tables at the local gun shows you will find your brass.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They are really close in origin, but think some changes were made when the .308 went NATO. I would anneal the case necks before forming and then I think you will find the necks will need turned. The head area is a little different. I would check the volume with water weight and reduce the load accordingly. Brands of brass differ.

At one time .300 was really hard to find, so this was a realistic endeavor. Now, it's just too much work. And you always have to worry about the head stamp.
    Negitive Ghost Rider with most of your post. And I ask where you read that its not a easy endeavor to do?

Screenshot_20221102-183644.png

Top Bottom