• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Not a personally attack on you directly, just the few on here that think this particular deer was not recovered because of a bad shot or the lack of not trying hard enough to recover it. Nobody was there when it happened, so the general assumptions made about a bad shot or not giving the effort to recover it is just BS.

I agree, when a bad shot happens and you don't recover the game...it's a sick feeling and I'm not happy with myself either.

The hail mary shots that I was referring to in my OP, is exactly what your saying....the 4, 5 or even 6 rapid fire shots you hear from someone while your out hunting. There is no excuse for that.

This is what you posted: "Unfortunately I have to agree with the above. Makes me sick to think of the numbers of nice deer like these that people take pot shots at and leave like this. Glad you got the antlers and all, but you likely have them due to poor hunting habits. If I'm wrong (and I hope I am) please set me straight."

Ok, although I know darn well what I posted and still stand behind it, after reading all of this again, I can see why I'm getting some flak for my post. Although it appears I'm attacking directly whoever shot these deer, My intent was a generalization. I was thinking out loud and apparently wasn't doing enough 'thinking' before hitting the submit button.

Cam, this guy didnt take "pot shots" as you might think. He was using a TC Pro Hunter Muzzleloader, he only had 1 shot. It happened like the 2nd day of firearms season and he did make a more then adequate search to find it. It happens, sorry you feel so negetive towards his efforts.

And I'm very glad I was wrong. But please understand I did NOT intend to say his efforts were lacking in any way (my post was repeated above for reference) but I can see how you would interpret that. I apologize to whomever I have offended. Where I hunt I see what I'm referencing every year. Where I went wrong was generalizing this into this thread. I'm sorry, enjoy the antlers.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I cant believe that some of you are chastising this hunter and don't have a clue as to what went down.

If one hunts long enough they will come up with a wounded and unrecovered deer or more sometime or another.. I've deer hunted for 43 years and yes I've "dinged" a few. Makes one very, very sick, but at least this hunter had closure on his buck.

Congratulations to his persistence in trying to establish closure...

acersbull

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Osceola
    Glad to see your buddy at least gets his rack! It's a sick feeling to think you have lost a deer like that completely when you put in your time and think you've done everything right.
    Yes the meat was wasted and that is a shame...but it is hunting, it's gonna happen. The only thing you can do is prepare, take ethical shot's,track, and hope.
    Thanks for the pics.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Nothing against the poster or the paticulars of his story but it happens all the time. Some legit and some not. There are tons of unethical hunters out there. Everyone on here knows the guy that goes out the day before gun season buys some junk slugs takes his old trusty shot gun he hasn't bothered to shoot since last deer season goes out the next morning and starts slinging lead at the first thing that walks in front of him. Half the deer stories I heard this year were non recoveries. I've lost 1 deer in 10 years. A clean responsible shot tracked for 2 miles and eventually got ran off private property by other hunters. I shoot year round I take care of my equipment I take ethical shots, I'm a responsible hunter. I think thats all we can ask for.

gaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    wabash county
    I think anybody who as hunted for a number of years can honestly say that at one time or another that they have wounded game that they could not retrieve, unfortunately.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Ok, although I know darn well what I posted and still stand behind it, after reading all of this again, I can see why I'm getting some flak for my post. Although it appears I'm attacking directly whoever shot these deer, My intent was a generalization. I was thinking out loud and apparently wasn't doing enough 'thinking' before hitting the submit button.

And I'm very glad I was wrong. But please understand I did NOT intend to say his efforts were lacking in any way (my post was repeated above for reference) but I can see how you would interpret that. I apologize to whomever I have offended. Where I hunt I see what I'm referencing every year. Where I went wrong was generalizing this into this thread. I'm sorry, enjoy the antlers.

I was not offended and no apology is necessary . I do respect the fact that you are man enough to apologize even though it isn't necessary. I actually can see your point if you are experiencing slob hunters where you hunt and thought this might be another case of what you are seeing in the area you hunt.
    All is good! :yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Here ya go. ^^^ horns are the last thing on my mind. Don't get me wrong, If a 130+ class buck and it is over 3+ years old, and a 120+lb doe run in front of me. I am taking out the buck, for sure. You'd be dumb not to, but It also depends on what kind of shot either one gives me. I only keep one slug in the tube because you should only need one shot. I hunt to put meat in the freezer to feed my family. Not for trophies. If the meat comes with a trophy, so be it.

Animals can move at the last split second. IMHO hunt like you get only one shot, but be smart and have a quick backup to finish any mess you start (quickly).

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I suppose all of those who are upset about wasted meat should get on the list to get road killed deer. After all, more deer are wounded,and not claimed, by automobiles than hunters.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Like several have said, if you haven't made a bad shot then you haven't taken many shots. Also it's common to find twigs, small limbs ect that you shot up between you and the deer that will at times deflect a slug, even slightly.
    I've lost one deer. I also hit two deer that ran, and I followed up on them until I pushed them to someone else and they took them with clean shots.
    Not everyone is an expert shot, and not everyone is an expert tracker. I'm a fair shot and a pretty good tracker and I still lost a deer. It happens.
    I have been deer hunting about 40 years. I'm not sure now how long it's been.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Animals can move at the last split second. IMHO hunt like you get only one shot, but be smart and have a quick backup to finish any mess you start (quickly).

I understand where youre coming from, but the odds of hitting a running deer are slim to none. Yes, deer can move rather quickly after they hear a shot, but not 1200 feet per second. If you dont have a good shot, dont take it. I cant tell you how many times i have been in the woods and heard someone rack off 6 rounds back to back to back to back to back to back. Its a stupid waste of you $12.00 per 5 slugs. not to mention when youre slinging lead through the woods you dont know whats behind your target when youre shooting and moving that fast. it is dumb and irresposible. Its hunting not killing. Im not saying i am perfect by any means, but for Gods sake make sure you can put a good shot on an animal and end it the most humane way possible before you feel you need to take its life. If not, dont hunt. I think most of the hunters out there that live by the motto "if its brown its down" need to be cleared out of the woods. its not about being right or wrong. Its about respect for the animal and the fact its giving up its life (not willingly) to provide your family with food and not a trophy to hang on the wall so you can brag to your friends.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    ............. I think most of the hunters out there that live by the motto "if its brown its down" need to be cleared out of the woods. .......

Disagree, somewhat...... I don't believe that "most" of the "if its brown its down" hunters are slob hunters. I think slob hunters are in a minority, at least in my area. If a hunter has the proper tags and the deer is legal I have no problem with them taking a "brown is down" approach. It is DEER season.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    once upon a time 10 or more years ago I was a still hunter for deer here in Indiana, covered lots of ground in a day, I have found as many as 7 dead deer in one day, almost always found at least 1 dead on every stalk hunt, I found most in general areas where there was lots of bow hunting, not drawing conclusions as I am sure some was from night shooting from roads. I found 1 this year and 1 last year and I stand hunt mostly now? I think we could add 50% to our harvest numbers easily, from deer that die from wounds and are not recovered!

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I lost a nice buck this year after what I originally thought was a good shot. Followed decent blood for several hundred yards and then there was nothing. I searched for two days and still didn't recover the deer. **** happens....

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Hey it happens. I know two guys who shot, but never recovered deer this year. I consider them both to be responsible, conscientious hunters. Both searched extensively for the animal but had no luck. Yes, it sucks, but it happens, and the two guys I refer to were as upset about it as anybody.

jdklvans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Michiana
    People make mistakes, we are all human and at some point and time we have all missed and we have all tracked for 2 or 3 days hoping to find our shot game. Things unfortunatly dont always go the way you would like them too. I'm happy for my buddy. He sighted in his scope at my house. He looked for that deer for 2 days straight. He was sick about it. He came back over and shot his gun to make sure his scope wasnt out of whack. He never did end up shooting anything. This recovery is a good thing. Nobody likes to see a deer go to waste. The other deer I have know idea where it came from or if it died of natural causes or what. Things happen.

Very true. Hopefully we ask questions first and shoot later more often.

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    All the hunters I know will look for a deer as hard as they can until the trail runs out or property lines are about to be crossed and the owners don't allow hunting. I hate to lose a deer but would rather not be caught trespassing with a loaded gun.

Top Bottom