• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I keep these little kits in each vehicle and out and about bag...fatwood, everlast match, fire rod and striker, waxed cotten twine, cotton pads, and the tin can be used as a signal mirror

View attachment 41332 View attachment 41333

Why not also add a mini Bic lighter? I know everyone wants to feel all Grizzly Adams when they go out and about and practicing starting a fire with alternative means is a very useful skill to have, but if it a true survival situation then getting a fire started as fast as possible as easily as possible is the number one priority and style goes out the window. Even when the lighter is out of butane, the shield can be taken off and the striker will still start a wad of lint.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yep, I keep at least two bic lighters in my hiking pack, along with a magnesium firestarter, and a regular ferro rod. Also, I get the small packs of triple antibiotic gel from the first aid cabinet at work, the stuff lights easy and burns well, always good to have more than one use for stuff in the pack.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Get some of the flat cotton pads women use to remove makeup, dip them in melted wax and allow to dry. They make great fire starters. Fill one of those plastic single serve pringles containers with them and you're all set.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    What department are they in at Kroger? I asked the store manager on duty at the store nearest me and he looked at me like I was crazy, shrugged his shoulders and just walked off.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why not also add a mini Bic lighter? I know everyone wants to feel all Grizzly Adams when they go out and about and practicing starting a fire with alternative means is a very useful skill to have, but if it a true survival situation then getting a fire started as fast as possible as easily as possible is the number one priority and style goes out the window. Even when the lighter is out of butane, the shield can be taken off and the striker will still start a wad of lint.

Everyone should have at least one functional lighter on their person all the time. I don't smoke, but I might need fire. You also never know when you will need to sear the end of some para cord or light candles on a birthday cake away from home (mine did both last weekend).

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Everyone should have at least one functional lighter on their person all the time. I don't smoke, but I might need fire. You also never know when you will need to sear the end of some para cord or light candles on a birthday cake away from home (mine did both last weekend).

^^^These are words of wisdom here folks.^^^

My dad always told me to never waste energy.
    So I've been lighting my farts ever since. If you don't light your farts, then that is a waste of energy. And if you don't have a lighter, you can't light your farts.

BTW - Never light your farts while going commando. Unless you're trying to burn down the forest. :(

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Take an empty egg cartoon, melt wax and mid in old dry lint. Break off sections of egg at a time. Easily 15 minute burn time.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I've used this brand before to start my charcoal powered smoker. They work great, and burn for about 10 minutes or so. I break them into 1/4s, then throw then into a seal ziplock back and reused the other pieces later.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

The everlast match is a lighter fluid lighter, I have kept one full and usible for over 5 years, fuel does not evaporate out of them and it can be used as a flint striker when empty.

There are Bic lighters in all of my vehicles as well

Top Bottom