• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On the way home from the range today I stopped by my local gun shop to browse for new items. An elderly gentleman came in the door carrying 3-4 pistol bags and asked if anyone the could give him a value on some older pistols. One of the fellows that works part time also does appraisals on collections and they started opening bags and unwrapping pistols. The first item that came out was a Walther P1 pistol in excellent shape. The serial numbers didn't match, but the appraiser said that was common on this model.

waltherp1.jpg

The gentleman opened another bag and produced another P1 with matching numbers and in perfect condition. I was now waiting to see what would come next and wasn't disappointed. He opened the 3rd bag and produced a worn leather holster containing a pistol inside a zip lock bag. He opened the bag and pulled out a 1938 PPKS Party Leader model pistol.

party.jpg

The pistol was in perfect condition with no wear at all. He had the 3 factory magazines and the original holster. The appraiser did some research and looked to see if the grips were counterfeit. Without tearing the pistol down or removing the grips, as best could be determined, the pistol was completely original.

OK, now I'm starting to drool a little on the counter top as he opens the largest bag and produces a 1902 Luger Civilian Model Carbine with a 12" barrel.

lugercarbine.jpg

This was also in excellent condition with no scratches on the fore end and the finish appeared to be completely intact. The wood on the fore end was beautful. The appraiser asked about the stock since he didn't have it with the pistol and the gentleman said he had it in one of his safes, but wasn't sure which safe. He assured him that he had the original stock and that the wood on the stock was even better.

We started talking about the Mauser Broom Handle models and I mentioned a show I saw talking about the early Luger and Mauser pistols and the appraiser mentioned the Borchardt pistols which preceded the Lugers. The old gentleman perks up and says "The next time I come in I'll bring in my Borchartd for you to look at".

I wanted to take some cell phone photos, but the gentleman didn't seem too happy with that (I guess I don't blame him either) but we did chat for 10-15 minutes about this part of his collection.

I'd love to see what else he has stashed away or if he wants to adopt me and add me to his will.

Top Bottom