• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If anyone is intereted, I would highly recommend signing up for the free email newsletter from the United States Concealed Carry Assocation.

This is the same group that puts out "Concealed Carry Magazine". They're weekly emails that contain useful articles, gear reviews, and usually a video.

Here is this Friday's newsletter.

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif] Friday, March 14th, 2008[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,sans-serif] Issue 85 [/FONT]

Home
    Archive
    Forum
    Contact Us [FONT=Arial,sans-serif] U.S. Concealed Carry
    "Armed American Report"

March 14th, 2008
    Dear Evan,

Well, our Testimonial contest is ALMOST over. Any entries sent in AFTER 11:59:59pm CST tonight won't be eligible for the prizes, so if you still haven't sent yours in, keep that in mind.

I am as excited to award the prizes as you are to get them, and I promise I will hurry in deciding who the winners are. Trust me though, I have a bunch of these things to go through, and there are SO many that are excellent... Just please be patient as I go through them all carefully!

Okay, I've got a great 'Armed American Report' for you this week, so let's get to it!

USCCA Laugh of the Week

toon.gif

Confirmed Payback on the Investment

by O.W.D. - Old War Dog

Since we began offering Concealed Carry Qualification Training back in 2003 with the passage of our state's law, it's crossed my mind several times. "I wonder if I'll ever hear back from a student regarding an incident where they made practical use of what was taught." Well, it happened today.

Of course, John Lott tells us that it likely happens thousands of times a year unreported because no shots are fired. I am referring to those incidents where a violent crime against persons or property was thwarted because an armed and responsible citizen was there and the mere presence of their firearm (either concealed or visible) and a display of their willingness to confront criminals rather than consenting to "victimhood" kept it from being a really bad day for either side.

The email I received started out, "Well, Dick, I have a success story for you." It was fascinating reading from one of my students who graduated from our class just last June (2007). As the announcer would say every week on Dragnet when I was kid, "Names have been changed to protect the innocent." I'll call him Johnnie; a 37-year-old male, married with kids, living in a suburb of Kansas City, MO. He proceeded to tell me of an incident that took place just last Saturday in another KC suburb. Middle of the day, large store parking lot, two perps, one intended victim.

He ended up having to display his H&K 40 and utter a statement regarding his willingness and capability to use it. Thank goodness he was far enough ahead of the game in his situational awareness that neither perp got any closer than 15 yards but they DID have him flanked and outnumbered two to one. He had encountered them on his way into the store where they had pan-handled him for change. When he advised he did not have any they became verbally abusive and made racially offensive remarks as Johnnie just kept on walking into the store.

Thirty minutes later, as he came out, he noticed a couple of large delivery trucks were blocking the view of his parked vehicle. He decided to walk out through the parking lot two aisles over from where he was parked in order to recon the area around his truck rather that just walk in between the two large trucks blind. Good thing he had his tactical head on that day. They were waiting for him.

When they spotted him, they split up and began to approach him from different angles while one yelled at him "Look at me! I'm talking to you!" This was in an effort to draw his attention from the one who was trying to get around behind him. Then the one flanking to the rear threw an empty beer bottle from about 50 feet that just missed Johnnie's head and hit a pick-up he was standing next to. He un-holstered and aimed at the one in front of him while turning sideways to keep an eye on both. He advised they were making a mistake. The owner of the truck hit by the bottle was rushing to the area yelling at everyone. Johnnie yelled at him to let him know what was going on and what he was doing about it. The scumbags boogied.

Law enforcement arrived shortly. I don't know who called them or from where. They cuffed Johnnie but only until they were sure what had gone down. Thankfully, he had about 20 witnesses in the parking lot who confirmed his story to the cops. They then took his information and even congratulated him on his restraint in not firing, especially within the populated parking lot. I'm sure "no shots fired" made their paperwork load much lighter and they appreciated it. Of course, the perps are still out there doing the same thing somewhere else today.

Johnnie admitted in his email that, just as he was taught would happen, adrenaline made it hard to remember small details of the event but we both found the following recollections amusing. He said that at the time of critical engagement, he remembered me saying in class, "Focus on the front sight" (certainly not critical at the moment of THIS encounter but who knows how the mind's gonna' work when overloaded with natural go-juice) and, more importantly, "Be sure of your target and what is beyond." Johnnie said there were far too many people in that parking lot for a safe shot at the range involved. He remembered the relief he felt when the perps decided discretion was the better part of valor and turned tail. He also admitted to having thoughts of being sued. But he says he chose not to let "those thoughts" adversely affect his decision to defend himself, with lethal force if necessary.

It was a happy ending to a very gratifying story for this old, grizzled instructor. And for Johnnie and his family. It was possibly one of dozens like it that may have taken place that day somewhere in this country. Just because you don't see it on the six o'clock news doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Every day.

Don't worry, be happy, be safe, be armed.

O.W.D. - Old War Dog

This contest ENDS today at midnight!
    testimonial1bc.gif

In case you haven't heard, I am giving away a Kimber Ultra Carry II... or $900 of cold-hard cash.

For your chance to win, all you USCCA Members have to do is submit a testimonial to me about how awesome you think the USCCA is.

For the low-down on how to submit your Kimber-Winning Testimonial, simply go to the following page!

USCCA Testimonial Contest

But HURRY! This contest ends tonight at midnight, so if you want a chance to win, you HAVE to submit your entry by tonight!

forward1a.gif

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus​

USCCA GEAR REVIEW

I'm going to take a time out this week, and rather than show you another awesome piece of gear that I think you'll find VERY handy, I'm going to use this week's Gear Review spot to put the spotlight on an organization that I REALLY want to see succeed and truly make change in our country.

The group is called "Students for Concealed Carry on Campus", SCCC for short. The group is a grass-roots organization that basically was formed after the Virginia Tech Massacre, and is now fighting the good fight- to get lawmakers to allow students who posses Concealed Carry Permits to carry on college campuses.

I know what you are all thinking: This is amazing, I am SO glad that America's youth can still join together like this and fight for their rights- especially one as important as this one. We ALL know that evil creeps like Cho Seung Hui would never have gotten very far if just one good man or woman had been carrying concealed in his path.

So Armed Americans, I urge you to do what you can to help the SCCC. Donate to their cause, buy their shirts, or even just go to their site and give them some web traffic. Tell your friends and neighbors about them, and encourage them to join with them and give. I have spoken with several of the regional campus leaders, and I am VERY, VERY excited to see where the SCCC will go, and what kind of change they will bring about in the process.

Here is their site: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

== Highly Recommended ==
    Email: mnpistolclass@comcast.net
    Web: Concealed Carry Permit & Basic Handgun Training
    Voice Mail: (651) 649-4878

9 A.M. CST, March 4, 2008

Cruise Vacation with Multi-State Carry Permit Course

7-Night Alaskan Cruise at group rates in August 2009. Open to anyone, including families. Early reservations lock in rate and one hundred dollar per cabin shipboard credit.

Optional: Multi-state Carry Permit Course during the cruise; all materials and equipment included in course fee. Graduates meet training requirements to apply for carry permits honored in up to 35 or more states depending upon state of residence. Open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents 21 and allowed to possess a handgun. See web page at Cruise with Class - Cruise Vacation with Permit to Carry a Firearm Class.

Sponsors:

The Cruiseman, Cruises to the Caribbean, Alaska, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Europe, and Alaska Springfield, MO, 1-800-889-7683

417 Guns, LLC 417Guns, LLC: Fire arms, Ammunition and Accessories., Springfield, MO, 417-886-4861

USCCA Members-Only Forum Highlights

[SIZE=-2]Every Member has complete access to the USCCA forum, which is constantly being accessed by members sharing information, knowledge, insight, and fun. With well over thirty-five-thousand posts and growing by the hour, this is one heck of a valuable resource![/SIZE]

Which Kicks Harder?
    Does anybody know if a lighter weight bullet kicks harder than a heavier one? As an example, will a 9mm 115gr kick harder than a 9mm 147gr in the same pistol?

I thought I had read in one of my gunzines that the light ones have greater felt recoil all other factors being equal.

Home protection...
    I have posed this question to a retired LEO and he thought I had a good point. I have a Bennelli M4 12ga and would like to know if the bean bag rounds for a 12ga are available for non LEOs? I feel it would work well in a non-lethal start to a confrontation. Or is my thinking wrong? Will they even work in a regular 12ga?

Ammo in Mags
    I've read a few postings about storage of ammo (all well written with solid advice); however, I'm curious what the collective thought is about how long you should keep rounds in a magazine before replacing them.

I keep .45 Federal Hydra-shoks in my carry pistol, and swap out my "carry ammo" about every 3-4 months. Is this too long? Could I go longer?

I know properly stored ammo will last a long time, but otherwise?

AR Advice on Olympic Arms
    Are they any good?? I'm in the market for an AR and have a friend trying to sell me an Olympic as a good "starter" weapon. comes with a few extra goodies, nothing special, mags, etc., in the area of $900??? thoughts??

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
    FNC Story

USCCA VIDEO OF THE WEEK

Note: Because some email programs don't display the newsletter very well when the Video of the Week is included, I've decided only display the video on the website itself. This change will make the newsletter load a lot faster for you, so I think you'll like the change! To go to our newsletter site to watch it, visit the following link:

USCCA Free Newsletter

"Tim-spiration" of the Week

USCCA PHOTO OF THE WEEK
    • [SIZE=-2]One of the great members-only areas of our site is the photo gallery. Every week, I give you a taste of the kinds of photos that are posted there![/SIZE]
    "Daily Carry Gear"

picoftheweeka.jpg

USCCA QUOTE OF THE WEEK
    • [SIZE=-2]Sometimes a good quote will inspire or motivate you. Sometimes, they'll just put a smile on your face! Here is the quote for this week...[/SIZE]
    "Collectivism doesn't work because it's based on a faulty economic premise. There is no such thing as a person's 'fair share' of wealth. The gross national product is not a pizza that must be carefully divided because if I get too many slices, you have to eat the box. The economy is expandable and, in any practical sense, limitless."
    -P.J. O'Rourke​
    Self Defense Story OF THE WEEK
    • [SIZE=-2]Every day, thousands of Armed Americans use their firearms to preserve human life. Let this section of my newsletter serve as a record of this fact![/SIZE]
    • Deadly Shooting Possibly Self-Defense
      [SIZE=-2]found at:[/SIZE]WOODTV.com & WOOD TV8: Grand Rapids news, weather, sports and video | Home[SIZE=-2]and written by:[/SIZE] Tony Tagliavia

GRAND RAPIDS -- It's the big question facing the Kent County prosecuting attorney: was Monday's gas station shooting a case of self-defense?

Gabriel Rodriguez died after he was shot in broad daylight at the Shell gas station in Boston Square on Grand Rapids' southeast side. Police say the shooter told them he shot Rodriguez after the victim picked up an object and lunged at him.

24 Hour News 8 sat down with a criminal law professor to help break down how Michigan law - which is different than three years ago - sees the issue. We asked Cooley Law School's Jim Peden what kind of questions that a prosecutor needs to be asking.

"If someone's claiming self-defense, you've got to look and see if they're the aggressor, and the amount of force they used, and was the amount of force they used necessary?" Peden said.

Under state law, self-defense applies only when the person claiming self-defense meets a two-part standard for perceiving the threat of great bodily harm or death.

"The person who's being threatened is asked, 'Did you feel threatened with great bodily harm?' And they say, 'Oh yeah, I did.' And the second question, the second shoe to drop is, was that fear reasonable?" Peden explained.

By that standard, self-defense is a concept that is both subjective and objective.

The objective considerations include the scene: was it night or day? Were there others around? Any words exchanged or history between those involved would be taken into consideration.

Another key consideration: what if any weapon was involved in the alleged threat.

Investigators say the incident between Rodriguez and the shooter occurred after the two exchanged words. Again, they say Rodriguez grabbed an unidentified object and lunged at the shooter.

After the gunshot was fired, the shooter waited for police to arrive. He was held but later released because no charges were filed.

The prosecutor is considering charges, pending his self-defense investigation. He says the alleged shooter poses no danger to the community, holds a concealed weapons permit and has no criminal background.

One possible piece of evidence in the self-defense investigation is surveillance tape from the gas station. While such tapes are not always conclusive, the one in this case could show how heated the argument was between Rodriguez and the alleged shooter.

It could show the object police say Rodriguez had. 24 Hour News 8 has requested the tape under the Freedom of Information Act.

The self-defense laws in Michigan changed significantly with the passage of a 2006 law, Peden noted. Earlier, common law allowed someone who felt threatened to only respond with in-kind force. That is to say a person could only use a gun if he or she was threatened with a gun.

Prior law also focused on a concept known as "duty to retreat." That "duty" meant a person who was threatened had to flee the scene if there was a clear, safe path to do so, with an exception if the incident occurred on a person's own property.

The "duty to retreat" was greatly reduced with the passage of the 2006 changes.

Closing Thoughts

I'm going to end this newsletter with Barack Obama's official statement on the Second Amendment. You guys have heard of the Second Amendment right? Well did you know that it was written for "..sportsmen's rights.."? Yeah, very interesting- check it out:

-------------------------- Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me about gun laws and the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue. Americans broadly agree that guns must be kept from those who may pose a threat, and that the rights of legitimate hunters and sportsmen should be protected.

We must work to ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of criminals or the mentally ill through an effective background check system. We also have to strike a reasonable balance between public safety and sportsmen's rights.

I will continue to work for effective gun laws, including reinstatement of the assault weapons ban that the last Congress allowed to expire, and effective law enforcement. I will also speak out against the culture of violence that traps so many of our young people.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

--------------------------

P.S. - Today is the LAST DAY that you can submit your testimonials to compete for a $900 cash, or a Kimber, or lifetime USCCA membership. Submit your entry BEFORE 11:59:59pm CST for a chance to win!

USCCA Testimonial Contest

Be Safe,

Tim Schmidt

Founder - U.S. Concealed Carry
    U.S. Concealed Carry Association
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,sans-serif] Copyright © 2003-2008 U.S Concealed Carry Association. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction without permission is strictly prohibited. [/FONT]​

4466 Hwy P - Suite 204, Jackson, WI 53037, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
    Subscribe/Unsubscribe/Change Options

o

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Mods this was meant for the Concealed Carry section. Please move if appropriate, thanks.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Closing ThoughtsI'm going to end this newsletter with Barack Obama's official statement on the Second Amendment. You guys have heard of the Second Amendment right? Well did you know that it was written for "..sportsmen's rights.."? Yeah, very interesting- check it out:

-------------------------- Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me about gun laws and the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue. Americans broadly agree that guns must be kept from those who may pose a threat, and that the rights of legitimate hunters and sportsmen should be protected.

We must work to ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of criminals or the mentally ill through an effective background check system. We also have to strike a reasonable balance between public safety and sportsmen's rights.

I will continue to work for effective gun laws, including reinstatement of the assault weapons ban that the last Congress allowed to expire, and effective law enforcement. I will also speak out against the culture of violence that traps so many of our young people.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

This guy scares the BJesus out of me for more than this reason but he would make a great Used Car Salesman (no offense to car salesmen) or Snake Oil salesman. 2008 does not look good for Gun Owners

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I'm a member of USCCA.

A little pricey, but I enjoy the magazine and website, and I try to support groups that support people like me carrying firearms.

I also enjoy the fact that groups like this are loathed by the upper echelons of that political party symbolized by a braying, burden bearing animal and just keeps moving further and farther to the Left...... :D

Top Bottom