• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Freeze test on handguns. I was surprised with several of the outcomes. Some I thought would pass with no problems failed.

"The Freezing Pistol Test. Back to start more internet arguments over whether your pistol can function in arctic environments. This was a very interesting one. We figured we could accelerate the freezing with the aid of dry ice. And accelerate the freezing process it did. Hope you enjoy."

8:29 Freezing Pistol Test: Beretta M9
    9:46 Freezing Pistol Test: Browning Hi Power
    10:52 Freezing Pistol Test: Sig M18
    11:38 Freezing Pistol Test: Steyr L9-A2 MF
    14:08 Freezing Pistol Test: CZ SP01
    15:04 Freezing Pistol Test: Glock 17 Gen 3
    17:15 Freezing Pistol Test: M&P 2.0
    18:12 Freezing Pistol Test: HK USP .45 ACP
    20:16 Freezing Pistol Test: Nighthawk 1911 .45 ACP
    21:25 Freezing Pistol Test: Staccato 2011
    22:26 Freezing Pistol Test: Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum
    24:02 Freezing Pistol Test: Desert Eagle 50 AE

This wouldn't happen often but it could, and if you happen to be in below 0 temperatures and get your sidearm wet you better wipe it down immediately so you don't run into problems.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I left a Glock-22 15 rd loaded magazine in a vehicle once, and it froze solid, it was of no use to anyone until it got thawed out.
    The Glock at 15 mins, was dead to the shooter, Michigan shooters take UP North, I would have been reaching for a Frag back in the day, because they seemed to work in the cold.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've wondered what issues plastic frames might have with ductility at low temperatures, but figured manufactures covered any reasonable temperature. That said, an MDT gasket failure crashed a space shuttle so mistakes are made.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    N5ZbgDN.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    25:48 "if you base your personality, or your weapons choice off this test then .... ..." ahahahaha!

I think the true takeaway here is something I could see FD teaching - that when hiking in the arctic, after falling through the ice, losing your primary, you must hike with your dingle hanging out so as to be able to thaw your gun quickly when you hear the claw clicking coming towards you. This is the only logical conclusion of this video.
    eta: oh and carry the p320.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've always made a habit of getting as much water off my firearm if they get wet be it rain or wading into water.
    What I get from this is the fact you better get your firearms water free before it freezes, or you may not have a operating firearm anymore.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Glad to see my M&P 2.0 represented well! :)
    M&P for the win!!! I have chosen well.......
    Not only won this one but did real well on the Mac Channel torture test. It slowed down some until he soaked it in wet mud (thick chocolate pudding texture) then it came back to life and shot the mag to empty. The mud re-lubed it. The M&P 2.0 series doesn’t get the credit it deserves in my opinion.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I thought this thread would be about this place,
    www.300below.com
    Different, MUCH deeper freeze, but not really a test.
    More of an enhancement, if you believe their promotion.
    Had a JP cryogenic barrel once, knew it had been shot a lot but knew it’s still be good, as a cryogenic barrel.
    Have a buddy in charge of fleet maintenance for an ice delivery company, he says when they switched to cryogenically treated brake pads it drastically cut their maintenance costs.
    High end pulling tractors also use this.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Had a JP cryogenic barrel once, knew it had been shot a lot but knew it’s still be good, as a cryogenic barrel.
    Have a buddy in charge of fleet maintenance for an ice delivery company, he says when they switched to cryogenically treated brake pads it drastically cut their maintenance costs.
    High end pulling tractors also use this.
    I'm a big believer, but can't justify the cost for my needs.
    When that company first came to my attention, some 20+ years ago, they bragged they could make your razor blades last 10x longer, they even claimed to be able to make panty hose more durable.

I did some work around/with cryogenics in the Corps., but no "research".
    Well, not sanctioned research...:whistle:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Fun exercise, but not terribly practical, IMO. I've gone into ice water up to my neck before at work, with my gun on my belt. I've also (thankfully not at the same time!) stood outside in temps down to -50 for almost an hour, with my gun in a Safariland 6360 exposed to the elements, and have also rolled in the snow more than once with the gun getting a good dose of snow, muck, and moisture inside the holster on those occasions. I've never had to fire it after any of those events, but it always hand-cycled just fine when I took it out to check it (and clean it if necessary).

One consistent theme about working in those conditions...I'm very confident I would be dead from exposure long before my gun got to the point that it was not operational. If you get wet when it's cold out, you've gotta get dry and warm ASAP or you're gonna have way bigger problems than your gun freezing up. I also carry a P320, so per the test above, I really don't have to worry about it :laugh: .

One other thing I will say about the P320...the modular design makes it really easy to access and thoroughly clean and dry all the internal bits after you dunk it (and yourself) in a swamp.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Good stuff! I enjoy seeing designs pushed to their limits. Kinda interesting results. I’m surprised nothing broke, usually frigid cold mixed with shock is a recipe for stuff breaking. That desert eagle bit got a good laugh out of me.

Top Bottom