• ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Take every dime they will give you. We never know how long we have. If it is available take it as in the long run you will get more back. Why wait. Tomorrow is not a guarantee.
    My wife already draws her social security she is older than i am, between her pension,SS and my pension that i draw it makes obumer care quite expensive, then ifs draw my SS next year even more expensive, she gets medicare and has for last 3 years, we both have a lot of dollars our 401k"s too if i start drawing next year we will both cash in our 401's also just to get all the tax expense out of the way in one year.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My wife already draws her social security she is older than i am, between her pension,SS and my pension that i draw it makes obumer care quite expensive, then ifs draw my SS next year even more expensive, she gets medicare and has for last 3 years, we both have a lot of dollars our 401k"s too if i start drawing next year we will both cash in our 401's also just to get all the tax expense out of the way in one year.
    You really need to sit down with someone(*) and do some financial planning. Discuss Roth conversions, tax brackets, and a number of other topics.

(*) try a couple of advisors and see if you get consistent answers or do some real heavy duty research.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    You really need to sit down with someone(*) and do some financial planning. Discuss Roth conversions, tax brackets, and a number of other topics.

(*) try a couple of advisors and see if you get consistent answers or do some real heavy duty research.

I'm with Kitty on this. Too many moving parts not to at least consult a professional or two. As for me, the fellows at lodge advise to retire early and often, LOL. Of course, almost all of them do a little something or other for pinochle money.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    But you could be checking out on the path to max earning. The moneys received in the 3 to 5 years waiting will more than offset any monthly increases you get from waiting.
    My younger sister was of the same mind but when she did the math she stepped up.

Yeah, inflation is going to eat up a lot of any particular gain SS might provide, depending on how many COL increases they have.

Find a trusted financial advisor and do the math with realistic projections.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm with Kitty on this. Too many moving parts not to at least consult a professional or two. As for me, the fellows at lodge advise to retire early and often, LOL. Of course, almost all of them do a little something or other for pinochle money.
    I retired early and got more work than I could do. But it was on my terms at that point not some douche nozzle in an office pushing me to make him more money. I have multiple skills and have used all of them as revenue streams. To retire and sit down and not move is a death nell.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    no mortgage, no vehicle loans, no loans, no outstanding debt, just usual bills as in insurance, water,heat,electricity, It let me retire early and it feels so good. I am unclear\decided whether to draw my social security next year at 62 or not?
    I started SS at 62 and have never looked back. For me, it was a very good/smart move. YMMV

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    BTW for anyone that doesn't know, you can access your social security information at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Their calculations show I would make 44% more if I wait for full retirement @ 67 and 78% more if I take delayed retirement @ 70.

Risks:
    1. I don't make it to that age.
    2. They change the retirement age for full benefits.
    3. The COL increases don't keep up with inflation.
    4. I will not have enough other retirement income and will still need to work.
    5. The world as we know it ends and the whole system collapses.

Top Bottom