• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    So, I've been away for a while but I decided that now that we are starting to get some nicer weather, The moon covered the sun for a few minutes, and just because I felt like it it's time to start back with, "From the back of the gun safe," In these posts I reach into my safe and pull something out that you don't normally just walk into a Rural King or an Academy and see on the shelf. Today it's going to be the Hammerli X-Esse, or the Walther X-Esse, or the Sig Trailside.

These are awesome little guns. Anyone who's looked at my posts knows that I like the higher end rimfire pistols, I don't know what it is but there is just something about a high quality rimfire that gets me. This one right here is right up there not quite as good as my 41 but definitely as good as my Ruger Mk2-10 Inch.

These are kind of a rare piece that never really took off in the US but were huge in the European markets, it features a 10 round magazine that at first seems kind of cheap for this quality of a gun, but the function on them is amazing. There's also a rail up top for an 11MM mount, and some were made. Essentially what this gun is, it's a Hammerli 208 that's not quite as refined, and it definitely lives up to the Hammerli name. If I was rating it out of ten, it's a solid 8.5,

The trigger, It comes from the factory set at about 2.5 pounds, It's very similar to a CZ trigger where there is not a clear wall in the breaking point but there is a breaking point that is easy to find with some practice. If you are used to Glock triggers like I am this one will definitely be a little bit different.

The sights, This is one area that at first the gun was lacking a little bit for me. Originally the sights were painted a with a white outline on the rear, When tryng to shoot it against a black target the front sight got lost. This was easily fixed with a bit of green nail polish, acetone, and a steady hand on a small paintbrush.

downsides,
    • The mags are somewhat hard to come by, and not always the most budget friendly.
    • Accessories for the gun aren't available the main problem here is that I would like to find some front weights for the gun but like the mags they aren't cheap.
    • The sights need painted but that just adds a bit of freedom to do it in colors that you prefer and can easily pick up on.
    pros
    • The gun is light, Like I mean it almost disappears in your hand light. When compared to my model 41 it feels like picking up a feather compared to a bric.
    • The guns accuracy is impeccable. at 10 yards shooting from a reset there was not a single hole in the target that wasn't touching.
    • The trigger is phenomenal, and awesome for a target gun or an every day plinker.

And since none of my FTBOTGS posts are complete without a knife and a bottle of whisky I'll give a brief description of those, The knife is a Kershaw Skyline, Whiskey is a Single Barrel Weller Antique 107, And for this one I threw in a wildcard. The pen on display is my daily user, Its a Fisher Space Pen Shuttle commemorative. These have a history all in themselves, if you want to see or hear more of it let me know and maybe I'll pull it from the back of the gun safe.

Hammerli 2.jpeg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have the Trailside and the only disappointment is parts for it are like hens teeth or a honest politician. Very accurate. The sights are good enough but really looking for a rds mount.

It sits upfront in the safe as it gets used most by the gkids lately.

Top Bottom