• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    Anyone take any courses? What did you think? is it worth the trip out ther or could the money spent on airfair better spent on NRA courses. or any other sugestions?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not a fan of their marketing style-- all the emails, letters, and phone calls were annoying.

Their facility does look top-notch. I know of one INGOer who took one of their courses and enjoyed it.

Personally, I think there are many better options right here in our home state. It saves you time and money for air travel and lodging.

Check around here in the T&T forum for course announcements.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    I went to a rifle course and a pistol course a few years ago. Here's my opinion. :twocents:

Pros:

• Great facility.
    • Spectacular scenery.
    • Did a few days in Vegas after the classes.
    Cons:

• Dogmatic.
    • Geared towards pushing large numbers of students through. Little one-on-one instruction.
    • About 45 minutes away from the hotel in Pahrump or an hour from Vegas.
    • Varied instructor pool. Some good. Some that shouldn't be allowed around people without a chaperone.
    Neutral:

• Politically correct instructors.
    You can......take a day to travel there and a day back. Have ammo shipped out there, or buy in Nevada. Get felt up by TSA. Rent a car. Get a hotel. Drive 1 1/2 hours a day to get to/from the range. Eat out daily. Deal with the (optional) sales pitch to buy land and a membership there.

Or.......stay "local" and go to some training at Boone County. With the money saved from airfare, car rental, and baggage fees that should pay for at least one class.

• Louis Awerbuck :yesway:
    • Pat Rogers :yesway:
    • Ken Campbell :yesway:

Training Announcements

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Anyone take any courses? What did you think? is it worth the trip out ther or could the money spent on airfair better spent on NRA courses. or any other sugestions?

I cannot speak about Front Site, but I have sat through some NRA courses. Come over to Warsaw on August 6 and give ACT a chance to earn your repeat business. We are Hoosier and we can help you build your skill level.:yesway:

Tester

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    I cannot speak about Front Site, but I have sat through some NRA courses. Come over to Warsaw on August 6 and give ACT a chance to earn your repeat business. We are Hoosier and we can help you build your skill level.:yesway:
    Is ACT something that an interested person could sit in and watch first before committing to class time or money?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is ACT something that an interested person could sit in and watch first before committing to class time or money?

Maybe. (How is that for indirect answer)

I am teaching a competition class of sorts tomorrow at the Atlanta Conservation Club. If you want to drop by and see some of the instruction I am ok with that.

Our basic and intermediate courses are $65 and that is a great value and it will tell you what you need to know about ACT. Not much risk for the money. I think nearly everyone can learn some great things from the intermediate course. I have one scheduled for Warsaw, Indiana on August 6 and there will be one at Marion County Fish and Game in October.

If you search a little bit there is plenty of feedback on this site about us.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Tester, for the money you are basically getting a full on class at ACT for the cost of an observation fee. When you really boil it down you are taking a small financial gamble that the class will be worth it by just flat out going to some. I have the benefit of hind site having been to several of ACT's classes and I can say that you are not taking a gamble at all (they are great) but I'm trying to put myself in your shoes with my logic. If finances are playing a role here (& they always do) make sure you are comparing apples to apples. The expense of traveling, especially out of state involves a lot more than you would think (read Biohazard's post the paragraph after "politically correct" he put it very well). Just comparing tuition for the class puts ACT on top, the other stuff makes it a no brainier.
    **I have no financial affiliation with ACT other than they have received a bunch of my money in the form of tuition.:D (And they will continue to)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have taken a class out at Front Sight and I loved it. Our instructor was great and although they do have a certain amount of training to get through in the time you are there, they did shut down some of the turning targets for people who were having problems with the timed parts so that they could focus on the basics.

I personally loved having the timed turning targets there to push me and my speed to the limits. The first few times I wasn't even getting a shot off before they turned back, but by the end of the week we were drawing from a concealed holster and firing two shots to the thorastic cavity at 7 yards in under 2 seconds. the close shots were in less time. I have no experience with any of the training places here in Indiana, so I am not bashing on them. I would love to get into a class around here as well, but I really did have a great time at front sight and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have taken a class out at Front Sight and I loved it. Our instructor was great and although they do have a certain amount of training to get through in the time you are there, they did shut down some of the turning targets for people who were having problems with the timed parts so that they could focus on the basics.

I personally loved having the timed turning targets there to push me and my speed to the limits. The first few times I wasn't even getting a shot off before they turned back, but by the end of the week we were drawing from a concealed holster and firing two shots to the thorastic cavity at 7 yards in under 2 seconds. the close shots were in less time. I have no experience with any of the training places here in Indiana, so I am not bashing on them. I would love to get into a class around here as well, but I really did have a great time at front sight and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Next and closest opportunity;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...t_marion_county_f_and_g_13_august_2011_a.html

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A friend whose opinions I value and respect took one of their classes a few years ago, and was unimpressed to say the least. Couple that with their slick/sleazy marketing pitches and the questionable background of the company's founder and president, and it's enough to put them on my "NFE" list.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I choose to spend my money in Indiana and sleep in my own bed
    I have taken many of ACT's courses and I think you will find your training dollar well spent.
    I know a lot of folks that have taken training with Sheriff Campbell in Boone County and loved it. It hasn't worked into my schedule yet but it will.
    There are too many options within an hour of my house for me to fool with TSA to get firearms training from dubious sources. If you have never taken any training at all you are out very little to give the local guys a shot , you may find that you never have to leave the state.

Top Bottom