FTC Sues To Stop Kroger Buying Albertsons…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Kroger growing and buying companies is a threat but Chinese ownership of food production and processing is not? Something isn’t right here. Not really a fan if the acquisition but the juxtaposition above is mind boggling short of the @Leadeye “foll the money”. Someone didn’t get theirs…

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    Seems silly. There are monetary interests at work here obviously.
    From strictly a consumer standpoint. Kroger/JayC are some of the best shopping I've had since everything has been sky high. I have NO knowledge of Albertsons

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Kroger growing and buying companies is a threat but Chinese ownership of food production and processing is not? Something isn’t right here. Not really a fan if the acquisition but the juxtaposition above is mind boggling short of the @Leadeye “foll the money”. Someone didn’t get theirs…

Executives of both chains acknowledged that the merger would harm competition, with one executive responding to the proposed deal by saying, "You are basically creating a monopoly in grocery with the merger," per the FTC.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    After the merger, Kroger/Albertson's would have 13% of the food retail market and that would cause higher prices? Walmart already has like 22% but they're not a threat? BS...
    I suspect when the, I was surprised at this, #4 retailer in the world buys the number #10 that will raise interest. Combined they will leapfrog Costco to #3.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I suspect when the, I was surprised at this, #4 retailer in the world buys the number #10 that will raise interest. Combined they will leapfrog Costco to #3.

I never realized that Kroger was that big!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Its the FTC, doing FTC things...

Of all the Government agencies, the FTC seems to be the, least obnoxious to the normal guy.. just keeping big business in check.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never heard of Albertsons, but the trend in big cities is closing grocery stores. The strategy may be buy all and close some in certain areas where they compete now.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Its the FTC, doing FTC things...

Of all the Government agencies, the FTC seems to be the, least obnoxious to the normal guy.. just keeping big business in check.

Maybe. Sortof.

Except Bentonville.

However, Bentonville can make the argument that they built what they have. Rather than buying other chains, they just drove them out of business.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would like to depend as little on the food market as possible. I grow 80-90% of the produce we consume in the spring, summer and fall. Working to have winter squared away too through food preservation. We only buy meat and some fruit from grocery stores.

We don't have enough space to have bigger meat animals yet, but homestead and self sufficiency is the main goal for the future.

Whatever financial lunacy or politics is involved in these mergers and acquisitions isn't top of mind. Working consistently to not need them at all, is the focus.

Top Bottom