• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Every handgun I've purchased has gone through a dealer. What's the legal protocol for purchasing handguns FTF? There are some handguns in the classifieds that I'm interested in. I'm also considering selling one of mine.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Every handgun I've purchased has gone through a dealer. What's the legal protocol for purchasing handguns FTF? There are some handguns in the classifieds that I'm interested in. I'm also considering selling one of mine.

First is 50 post's or a site supporter to use the classifieds...

After that the basic's for most sellers are Indiana resident and proof such as a drivers license.

And try not to sell to someone who isn't eligble to buy one on their own, which yes that is tough to know sometimes.

Thats the requirements...

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    If you're a resident of IN, no protocol to speak of. You hand over money - they hand you gun, all good. Some folks like to see your driver's license or ID card to show that you are not from out of state. Others like to see an LTCH to show that at least at the time you got the LTCH , you were a "proper" person. Some folks like to swap bills of sale so that the transaction is memorialized to cover their butts. NONE OF THESE are required by law.

There is NO registration in Indiana. Period. You are allowed to sell your gun (long or handgun) to anyone that you have no reason to believe is prohibited. So the two big rules are 1) must be between Indiana residents and 2) buyer must be a "proper person" (not a felon or prohibited from owning). It's that simple.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    You might want to ask the seller first. I just traded a handgun on the classifieds and had the other guy ask if I minded to fill out the background check paperwork. I didn't mind at all, but thought that some people might. I've also had to sign a bill of sale. Others was a handshake and off we went. I've experienced the full spectrum when dealing with the classifieds here. All good experiences though.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Seriously, get your 50 posts or become a site supporter. Only costs $11 and can be done through paypal.

I always ask to see an Indiana DL and LTCH. That way I am covered. DO NOT EVER FTF with anyone from out of state.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Seriously, get your 50 posts or become a site supporter. Only costs $11 and can be done through paypal.

I always ask to see an Indiana DL and LTCH. That way I am covered. DO NOT EVER FTF with anyone from out of state.
    Except when you want to go through an FFL

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    GET A RECEIPT SIGNED BY THE BUYER!
    Include the DL# if you can get it. This protects you in case the gun is used in a crime. Proof that you dont own it is a hell of a lot better than "your word". CYA and commonsense will save your butt anyday!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Meet exchange goods shake hands and go home...:rockwoot:

Exactly what I did Saturday; meant up with an INGO member from Evansville in Crawfordsvile. Had lunch, talked about guns, went outside and discretely checked out each others trades, shook hands and started for home.

Best thing of all, I now have a Glock 20 SF:rockwoot:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    ftf private deals are a good way to go...keeps money local...helps another person directly...and usually get a good deal and no tax...so with that being said i use this bill of sale that someone hooked me up with a while back...its just a cya thing with me...ive heard a few bad stories...

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf

[sorry if im wrong for posting the link]

strut70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    columbus
    50 posts

If you look at the original post , he already has 57 post and he was,nt wanting to know how to use the classifieds he was asking about ftf purchase.......

Top Bottom