• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    I have a G17 Gen4. I am planning on replacing a few things on it to make it a little better such as the slide release and the disassembly button because it is too short. Does anyone know of a good company to buy these parts from? Also, is there anything else that i should modify on the gun?

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm of the opinion that you should stick with oem glock parts. They make an extended slide release. Some may suggest a 3.5 lb connector for the trigger if you want to lighten up the pull. I don't feel it is necessary, but up to you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a G17 Gen4. I am planning on replacing a few things on it to make it a little better such as the slide release and the button to release the slide because it is too short. Does anyone know of a good company to buy these parts from? Also, is there anything else that i should modify on the gun?

Too short for what purpose?

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    Too short for what purpose?

the slide release doesnt potrude enough for me to easily release the slide. Some people have told me that once I use it enough that I'll get the hang of it. the other thing I meant was the disassembly button is too short. I though it might be easier to lengthen that button.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Glock makes and extended slide release that comes on certain model pistols... I am not a fan though, I can find myself riding it if I get a really solid grip (found this on an rtf2 17 and couldn't shoot it without locking the slide back once in awhile). I don't even use the "release" anyways, for me it functions as a stop, everything is ran by the slide. Even if I did want to use it I don't find it too troublesome (but do understand the draw to the other).

I would not go changing parts on your gun... Buy some quality sights to put on it and then leave it alone! Just go shoot it! IMO sights and ammo are what you should spend you money on... If you can go take a class with it!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yeah, the glock 34 and 35 models come with extended slide releases. Definitely on the gen3's and I think also on the gen4's. It's OEM, cheap, and very functional. I like the extended slide release, don't like then extended mag release (at least on the gen3's, the gen4's have different/reversible mag release,so it's a moot point)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You should not mess with perfection. Have some quality steel sights put on it, get a quality holster, extra factory mags, lots of ammo and shoot it.

All the things you mentioned are non issues.

The part you called a "slide release" is actually called a slide lock lever. All it is meant to do is lock the slide back on last shot. The proper way to return a Glock to battery is to sling shot the slide over the top and to never touch the lever.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The Vickers extended mag release is a nice part. I put one on my G41. Extended slide release is also a must for me on any Glock.
    My takedown bar also seemed a little too short on my G41, so I took it out and filed the grooves a little deeper and a little sharper so I could get better traction.
    Works great now and easy to take off the slide.
    I would not recommend getting the extended take down lever. It sticks out too far and rubs my thumb when shooting and is quite annoying.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm like Bfish in that I like the concept of the extended slide release I actually changed mine out on my G34. I have a thumbs forward grip and more often than not I'd have my thumb riding on top of that extended portion of the release. The slide wouldn't lock back once the magazine was empty and I felt all that extra manipulation was slowing me down so I simply swapped out the extended for a factory standard slide release. On a note, I actually use the release as a release and after inserting the magazine I rotate my support hand up and hit it with my support hand thumb to release the slide as I'm rolling my hands into the thumbs-forward shooting grip.

Before modifying it too much, shoot the gun and get a feel of what you need. After 5000 rounds in my G34 I finally swapped striker springs to give me an even lighter trigger pull...before that I'd went several thousand rounds before replacing the front sight with a fiber optic one and an all black rear in place of the factory sights.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Like others have already said in a self defense handgun is better to change the very least possible, a good set of sights and lots of ammo is the way to go.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    the slide release doesnt potrude enough for me to easily release the slide. Some people have told me that once I use it enough that I'll get the hang of it. the other thing I meant was the disassembly button is too short. I though it might be easier to lengthen that button.

That's because it isn't a slide release, it's a slide stop lever. It's designed to have the slide ran manually. Personally I think it's a bad habit to get into anyway, a gross motor control movement is much easier than fine motor control one under stress. I've been told that over time dropping the slide with the slide stop can weaken the spring enough to the point that the slide might not fully seat. Personally I've never seen that happen but who knows.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    As hpclayto said, Glock calls it a slide "stop" for a reason. It was never intended to be used to release the slide.
    Sighting system that YOU see well, Fiber optic, Trijicons, Laser, and trigger work is all I ever do to my pistols but that's my personal preference. Keep in mind that internal modifications, with any firearm, can possibly cause reliability issues.
    As far as the slide lock is concerned, takedown like racking the slide is a matter of technique. Wish you were closer, I would be happy to go over it with you.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

Top Bottom