• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I went out recently and shot my G26 at 25 yards. Is 25 yards considered long distance for compact handgun shooting? I shot at a mineral block that we have in a woods for the deer. I managed to hit it 6 out of 10 times and I was happy about that. 2 of the rounds missed just above and the other two were slightly low. Does anybody have any experience shooting a compact at this distance, and are my results OK? The salt block was laying on its side making it shorter and longer horizontally.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I shot and hit 10/10 times at 100 yards offhand with a Smith M&P .40 compact (similar to your G26) on an IPSC sized torso steel target. The compact pistols are perfectly capable of this. They aren't less mechanically accurate, they are less ergonomically accurate, huge diff (it's the Indian, not the arrow)

You need to improve, but don't think the pistol isn't capable or "not meant" to shoot that far.

Nothing sickens me or makes me think less of a shooter when they say "That gun ain't designed to shoot that far, it's a belly gun". Means they can't shoot! :D

Keep it up. For most folks, you shot FAR better than many in my personal experience. If you practice at longer ranges, your shorter range work will improve dramatically. Heck, some ranges have target holders (steel rings) that START at 25 yards (the conservation club I shot at as a kid had this).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Nickman, that's good shooting with a full size. 25 yards on a salt block is not an easy hit for even an experienced shooter.

If you can repeat that performance at the 25 foot range or less that is more typical of a defensive situation, you will have NO problem hitting COM.

At least, as long as the bad guy sits still and waits for you to get off an unhurried, perfectly aimed shot. And doesn't shoot back.

Range accuracy is one thing-- accuracy when the adrenaline is pumping is quite another.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the encouragement

I shot and hit 10/10 times at 100 yards offhand with a Smith M&P .40 compact (similar to your G26) on an IPSC sized torso steel target. The compact pistols are perfectly capable of this. They aren't less mechanically accurate, they are less ergonomically accurate, huge diff (it's the Indian, not the arrow)

You need to improve, but don't think the pistol isn't capable or "not meant" to shoot that far.

Nothing sickens me or makes me think less of a shooter when they say "That gun ain't designed to shoot that far, it's a belly gun". Means they can't shoot! :D

Keep it up. For most folks, you shot FAR better than many in my personal experience. If you practice at longer ranges, your shorter range work will improve dramatically. Heck, some ranges have target holders (steel rings) that START at 25 yards (the conservation club I shot at as a kid had this).

I really mean that. I believe the target/salt block was about 10" tall and 16" wide. I probably missed the high ones by a 2-3" according to my buddy, and the low ones by no more than an inch(the stump it was sitting on has the proof). I am working with this gun all summer as it is my EDC and I want to be as good as I can with it.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I agree

Nickman, that's good shooting with a full size. 25 yards on a salt block is not an easy hit for even an experienced shooter.

If you can repeat that performance at the 25 foot range or less that is more typical of a defensive situation, you will have NO problem hitting COM.

At least, as long as the bad guy sits still and waits for you to get off an unhurried, perfectly aimed shot. And doesn't shoot back.

Range accuracy is one thing-- accuracy when the adrenaline is pumping is quite another.

The only thing I can do is put a lot of rounds down range and train. I hope I never have to use it. I did shoot these ten rounds within about a 1 and a half minute sequence, but I doubt many defense situations are that long.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Nice shooting. Hickok 45 has to try and hit his 80 yard gong with every thing he shoots, and always hits it. Sometimes he misses more than he hits, but I agree about the belly gun thing. I always end up trying my "belly guns" at 50 yards. 50 is as far as my backyard range allows. Unless I go farther back on my property. Even my LCP will put a couple in the black. I could do better if I practiced more. I don't understand why people can't at least get 5" groups at 7 yards with the LCP. G26 should shoot 25 yards easy.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Nice shooting. Hickok 45 has to try and hit his 80 yard gong with every thing he shoots, and always hits it. Sometimes he misses more than he hits, but I agree about the belly gun thing. I always end up trying my "belly guns" at 50 yards. 50 is as far as my backyard range allows. Unless I go farther back on my property. Even my LCP will put a couple in the black. I could do better if I practiced more. I don't understand why people can't at least get 5" groups at 7 yards with the LCP. G26 should shoot 25 yards easy.

Exactly my thinking! Heck, my PPK/S is obscenely accurate at 25 yards when I do my part. Yeah, alot of these pistols aren't "ergonomically" accurate, but then again, I never buy a pistol with no or "carry" sights that are nothing more than a notch grooved into the top (guttersnipe sights).

Training regimine should be work on and practice at 7 yards, then when you achieve a tight group there (not pie plate, under 3x5" card), then move the target back, and keep going.

It's kind of funny when someone shoots at their target at 7 yards, makes it look like a shotgun target at 25 yards with all the holes all over the place, with one bullseye (and they revel in that one single bullseye, out of 100 rounds fired), then begin to move the target back. No, no, no! lol Stay at 7 until you get it right. Need help? Ask me. Just want to spray? Well, that's your thing, but you aren't getting any benefit from that training if there is no improvement and certainly nothing is gained when one has not mastered 7 and begin moving the target back.

Nickman, the G26 is an engineering marvel in the firearms sense. It's compact, reliable, accurate, VERY well made for the price, and can be ergonomically accurate, and just as mechanically accurate as the G17. Yes, sight radius, blah blah blah, but in my mind, it works just as well if not better as I would tote the G26 over the G17.

In that sense, training with what you carry for longer ranges, you are training into something that has been forgotten in our world of polymer framed single stack .380s and 9s and lightweight aluminum framed revolvers: You are practicing for when that shotgun/rifle is too far away and you need results NOW if the gravest extreme ever visits upon you in your home or community (though I will vehemently expound upon the need for a rifle once the distance opens up). :)

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Hitting at that distance with consistency is very doable with some trigger time. If you have access to steel, I highly recommend that. Hearing your hits makes it much easier for providing feedback.

I drill at 50yds with my 26 on a 16x16 steel plate when I do distance stuff. If you can hit it there, 25 yards makes it look like the broad side of a barn. Make copies of a shooters wheel and tape it to the target at 25. This really helps getting the pull stroke down and identifies your trigger control issues.

You will be amazed at what you can do.

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    25 is where I consistantly practice with my G26. I tend to group at about 3 or 4 inches most days. I have times that I can put 5 shot groups in a 2 inch circle but normally I am happy with a 5 inch group at 25 yards. Its all about sight picture and trigger control.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    With every gun I've got I try to shoot it farther than it was originally intended. If you can make a hit at 100 yards with a G26 then think of how much better you'll be at belly distance. Try hitting a pumpkin at 100 yards with it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    25 is where I consistantly practice with my G26. I tend to group at about 3 or 4 inches most days. I have times that I can put 5 shot groups in a 2 inch circle but normally I am happy with a 5 inch group at 25 yards. Its all about sight picture and trigger control.

5" At 25 yards is very impressive. Heck, just making it on an 8" circle is plus or minus a half degree of angle if you do the math.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

Because guns with little to no sights and a very small sight radius is no excuse!

I do find the G26 very easy to shoot as it has real sights on it.

Top Bottom