• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    ...and I have no idea what that entails.

I found this gun rusting in my friend's parents garage, and they gave it to me (along with a break down 12g). We agree its a mauser, with non matching serial numbers, and that's about all we know. Thoughts on what it is, what I should do with it to make it less "found in a garage", and if its worth doing so.

Local gun shop that I trust a little less every day told me the barrel was corroded and this was "nothing but a big tent peg".

100_1999.jpg

100_2002.jpg

100_2001.jpg
    100_2000.jpg

Somehow I forgot to take a picture of the barrel, but got speckled rust on it that doesn't seem to have actually pitted the metal much at all yet, and yes, that is paint on the stock in 3 places.

Says:
    "FABRICA DE ARMAS"
    "OVIEDO 1928"
    All forward of the bolt. The first two words are in a semi circle with a rubbed off something there....emblem maybe.

"2A584"
    On the lever arm

"RE4862"
    Parallel to the bolt on the left side of the...receiver

"11" Preceded by a 6 pointed star, (Not a Star of David, but more like a sunburst) underneath the safety on the left side.

"EE"
    "4563"
    "J4"
    On the magazine baseplate on the bottom of the rifle.

All the above are as best as I can make out; the RE4862 is the only truly clear one.

Questions and input?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm most interested in what anyone here would do to restore it?

Last edited:

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    1893 Spanish mauser, chambered in 7x57, made at the Oveido arsenal in 1928, not a Boer war veteran- it's 30 years younger than that.

It looks to be complete except the cleaning rod, and original except for the paint spots. Also, the bolt handle looks to have been bent slightly forward.

While not a rare or valuable rifle, maybe under $100 as is, you should be wary of doing much more than gentle cleaning or you will destroy any collector interest.

7mm mauser is a really fun round to shoot. Clean the rust out of the bore as best you can, and blast away. It may surprise you and be an accurate shooter.

Here's a site with lots of Spanish mauser pics and info:
    Spanmauhome

Regards,
    Mike.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Heck you need sandpaper, steel wool, stain, krull, and time.

I think since you have nothing in it it would make a good restoration project. YOu can't make it worth less than you got it for.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Steel can be cleaned up with gentle application of 0000 steel wool with lots of oil. Paint thinner can be used on the wood followed by linseed oil. That is all I would do if you wanted to keep it original as possible.

Top Bottom