• Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    So factory packed clips. Ok that helps.

If the pull is a bit light, it is possible to accidentally double a garand. its more of a bump fire.

The Garand is something your going to want to learn to fix yourself, its pretty easy.
    Let's start at the beginning, do you remember what grade of Garand you got from the CMP?

I would say that most Garands from the CMP will require a good strip down, and cleaning.. as there is often gunk, cosmoline, etc
    And not just a field strip, a DETAIL strip.. I found turkish red dirt gunk up under my hand guards.
    (Unless its a special or expert, and those are often TOO dry)

I am no gunsmith for sure, but I got my garand all the way stripped, cleaned, and checked..
    You will find many of the old springs the CMP leaves in these guns need replacing.

This is my IHC that I stripped and cleaned myself.
    View attachment 289451
    Thanks BigMoose. I have my Garand stripped down and am in the process of doing a thorough cleaning and am going to replace the springs. I ordered a service pack from Wolff and the springs are VERY stiff. I'm guessing that's why they are listed as "Extra Power". Did some digging on the google and found high recommendations for Orion 7 springs and low opinions on the Wolff Garand springs so I'm gonna also order a set from Orion. I talked to the guy at Orion and he is so very helpful and nice. I came away very impressed with him and his shop.
    Where did you get your bolt disassembly tool? I may have to have one of those.
    Thanks again for your advice and support.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    Can you describe "difficulty loading the clips in"?

I'm going to bet you've got some wear on the hammer hooks & sear assembly.
    It makes for a very light trigger and occasionally a bump fire.

It's pretty easy to pull the trigger group out and check the engagement.
    From https://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-inspection/

On the tail of the hammer:
    Ins7.jpg

And/or on the top part of this trigger image:
    Ins14.jpg
    Thanks rosejm for your input. The trigger seems a bit light so I'm gonna look into replacing one or both of these parts.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Thanks BigMoose. I have my Garand stripped down and am in the process of doing a thorough cleaning and am going to replace the springs. I ordered a service pack from Wolff and the springs are VERY stiff. I'm guessing that's why they are listed as "Extra Power". Did some digging on the google and found high recommendations for Orion 7 springs and low opinions on the Wolff Garand springs so I'm gonna also order a set from Orion. I talked to the guy at Orion and he is so very helpful and nice. I came away very impressed with him and his shop.
    You can find the bolt disassembly tool at just about any gun show and even on eBay.

You can use the good 'ol M3A1 or M10 tools used by the military, or get a fancy new one from Fulton Armory, Brownells, Midway USA, and elsewhere on-line.

YouTube is your friend when you want to learn how to use each tool properly. Reading the written instructions makes it seem a lot harder than the actual use of each tool.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The Orion springs are good.

Extra power hammer springs would likely be a bad idea for your gun. If your pull is already light, it could make it even lighter. I run a TUBB spring on my Garand Hammer and it did lighten the trigger pull. So I would stick to the Orion hammer spring.

I honestly can't remember where I got that tool. but they are all over the usual sites, even Ebay.
    The GI tools work, but if your inexperienced it is possible to launch bolt parts into orbit...
    I got that tool over 10+ years ago with my M14, it has a moveable pin which allows for ether bolt to be taken down.

Last edited:

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    I decided to not take any chances and also ordered a new trigger. THAT oughtta do it!!
    Again, thanks to you and others for all the assistance and guidance.
    You know once I got into the disassembly and after watching numerous videos maintenance this task is not too bad. I was intimidated at first but i'm beginning to feel more & more confident.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I decided to not take any chances and also ordered a new trigger. THAT oughtta do it!!
    Again, thanks to you and others for all the assistance and guidance.
    You know once I got into the disassembly and after watching numerous videos maintenance this task is not too bad. I was intimidated at first but i'm beginning to feel more & more confident.
    Never forget who the rifle was designed for ... 'nuff said.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can find the bolt disassembly tool at just about any gun show and even on eBay.

You can use the good 'ol M3A1 or M10 tools used by the military, or get a fancy new one from Fulton Armory, Brownells, Midway USA, and elsewhere on-line.

YouTube is your friend when you want to learn how to use each tool properly. Reading the written instructions makes it seem a lot harder than the actual use of each tool.
    @Johnk Ive bought from this guy before. Actually chatted with him for like 45 minutes on the phone when I had sight questions. He's a good dude and VERY helpful.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Top Bottom