• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just wanting to get some opinions. I have a Troy Bilt Pony that I have had for 20 years. It has been a great tiller. But I have read that Troy Bilts aren't what they used to be. I think I would stay with a rear tine and maybe one a bit bigger than my Pony as I have a medium sized garden (3500 sq ft or in that area). What do you think is the best out there right now?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Anything about 20yrs old on craigslist. All the new stuff shows well on the floor but is made of plastic in China. Finding quality anything anymore is impossible. If you can turn a wrench worth a darn, buy old, replace as needed as part of your built in payment plan. If it isn't running like it used to...buy a new shaft down motor from *gulp* harbor freight or the like wise and give it a face lift....

If you really want new, look at cub cadet.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Not so sure I could say to look at Cub Cadet and not a Troy Bilt since they are both owned by MTD. Was looking at snow blowers a couple of years ago and discovered the only thing different was the colors and logo stickers.

We have a Troy Bilt rear tine tiller and it works great. We bought it at Lowes last fall on sale because someone bought it and returned it. It has never given me an issue, starts first pull.

We also bought a smaller Craftsman for other areas and it works great but I can not speak for the larger ones. Also you would want to double check who is actually making a Craftsman.

Just for the heck of it:
    http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/handhelds-and-cleanup/garden-tillers/ft-24

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/tillers/colt-ft-garden-tiller

Cub Cadet offers one year longer warranty :-/

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not really up on the older Troy-Built tillers but I think the Horse is bigger than the Pony. If you're looking for bigger I recommend you keep an eye out for a good used Troy-Built Horse... that's about your best option out there...

Everything else is pretty much junk unless you want to go up to tractor mounted or BCS tillers. Just be prepared, BSC tillers are VERY expensive for what they are. But they are the modern Troy-Built tillers with bunches of extra attachments etc.

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I have a Poulen tiller that I purchased from Rural King 5-6 years ago. It have been with me thru two different gardens - starting from grass - so you know the king of workout it gets. My gardens are about 8,000 sq/ft.
    I have never had any issues with it. Aslo at this time on the year they might be on sale.

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    go the craigslist route. find and old troy built horse 6 or 7 hp, honda 5 hp, or the gravely convertible. the local pawn shop had a 70's horse with electric start 7 hp for 200$ a month ago which is a steal because a new horse is $1999.99 msrp.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Plant everything a little closer together and keep what's working for you. :D

I looked at newer stuff last fall, hoping to get a deal. Quality has gone downhill.

Top Bottom