• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Well yes and maybe no.
    If this fireplace is designed like, say a oil fired forced air furnace the fan is required to run after the warmup period has been reached. If the fan doesn't kick on the flame will be tripped off.
    But if the fan system is designed to be turned on & off as the homeowner see's fit the valve most likely can be lit and run manually without any problems. If the fan is needed to operate he will need a small Genny or a battery backup to run the fan. If the fan is required to run I would NOT run the fireplace without it.

The house you save, may be your own.
    I wonder how old it is to still have a standing pilot ?
    It really sounds like someone has bypassed a switch or sensor to me. It would be interesting to take the cover off and run a meter through the wiring.
    my house was built new in 2006, which would of been when the fire place was installed. its a heat n glo, im going to give the company a call monday and see what they recommend.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I think everyone needs to reread the OP post. He is try to figure out a way to start he's eletric start gas fireplace to heat he's house if the power goes out due to bad weather.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My small fireplace requires no electric. Like a BBQ grill. Turn to pilot, light pilot, turn to on. Adjust tstat and you are up.
    If your main gas valve requires electric, good luck. Prolly a safety there somewhere that is low voltage, or line for that matter. Would not be bypassing anything, an invertor or gennnie would run it no problem.
    Fan on does help. I use a 10$ box fan on low to circulate.
    Good luck.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    typically the ON / OFF switch is linked to a remote so you can turn the gas log on from the couch.

Correct, the switch is left in the off location as the remote starts/stops the fireplace.

No fan required but makes a huge different in the amount of heat given off.

Like you I would love to be able to run mine when the power is out and don't know how to do it.

Top Bottom