• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I put some rounds through my newly built SPR today and afterwards took it back in to clean it. After taking the rifle down and removing the BCG to clean I noticed the gas tube has a slight rattle. I'm using a rifle length gas system so I didn't know if this was normal with the longer gas tube (first rifle length system I've had). The gas tube was solid at the gas block an didn't appear to have any gas blow by at the block. The rifle cycles perfect although sometimes it wouldn't lock the bolt back a couple times when shooting some Wolf ammo. Any thoughts?....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Don't really have an answer but I just put together an SPR using a Faxon 18' rifle length Gov't/SOCOM profile barrel. Haven't had a chance to get it out yet. This is pretty much my first foray into a rifle length gas system as well. I'll be interested in seeing what develops.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Does the gas tube rattle inside the upper? If so, with most uppers, that'll be normal. As long as the BCG isn't eating the gas tube you're GTG.

That being said, quit trying to fix what ain't broke and stop cleaning your rifle prematuraly

:)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Try pulling your upper off, pushing the gas tube all the way to each side, and running the bcg back and forth. If it still clears with no rubbing, you should be good. If it's making contact though, it can suddenly ruin your day, even after several hundred successful rounds through your build. Ask me how I know...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Try pulling your upper off, pushing the gas tube all the way to each side, and running the bcg back and forth. If it still clears with no rubbing, you should be good. If it's making contact though, it can suddenly ruin your day, even after several hundred successful rounds through your build. Ask me how I know...

I would add that removing the bolt from the carrier makes feeling any interference between the key and the tube easier...

ETA: I'm betting the noise is the tube hitting the upper where it goes through the hole. If so, it's not unusual.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would add that removing the bolt from the carrier makes feeling any interference between the key and the tube easier...

ETA: I'm betting the noise is the tube hitting the upper where it goes through the hole. If so, it's not unusual.

I removed the bolt and moved the carrier back n forth and didn't see any binding or anything between it an the gas tube. Maybe that's just the way it is....

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Does the gas tube rattle inside the upper? If so, with most uppers, that'll be normal. As long as the BCG isn't eating the gas tube you're GTG.

That being said, quit trying to fix what ain't broke and stop cleaning your rifle prematuraly

:)

Yea it does a little bit, just not as much as when the BCG is removed of course. Ha ha ha, well I was giving the bolt gun its customary 100rd cleaning so I didn't want it feeling neglected or anything ;)

Top Bottom