• ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Just wanted to see what kind of responses I get on this one!!:popcorn:

What are people's thoughts when it comes to people selling firearms on here and a potential buyer complains that gas is too expensive. So then they want the asking price lowered to offset the price.:rolleyes: Well, in that case if gas is so expensive, shouldn't you probably be saving your hard-earned cash and buy a car that gets better MPG?? That would be a crazy thought now wouldn't it? Or perhaps instead of buying guns, shouldn't you probably be saving for gas??

I could definitely see if the weapon for sale was only $100 and the person lived 3 hours away. I wouldn't want to spend $40 on gas either. If it was a good deal though, I would be willing to do the drive. Remember that the person selling the gun is also driving to meet. They are spending their cash on gas just as well. Maybe that should be included in the price:D
    Just my:twocents:

BTW....I drive a V8 and it loves gas:ingo:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd RAISE the price for having to deal with their whining. :crying:

Tell them you would be happy to have it shipped to a local FFL, then add shipping to the price and they get to pay the FFL fee.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    In that case shipping the firearm might be a better option. Not sure how much it costs, since I haven't had to ship any guns, but I can't see it costing $40 to ship one to an FFL.

But if they insist on FTF, then it may be a deal that would have to be passed on. Personally I wouldn't ask that the price of the gun be lowered to accomidate gas prices. Just one of the costs of doing buisness. I am not going to ask the guys at the 1500 to lower the prices of the guns they are selling because I had to drive over an hour to get there.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The firearm is worth what it is worth, everything else doesn't matter. The price of gas has no effect on the price of the weapon. Do you think that you could tell the cashier at the grocery store that it cost you more to get to the store b/c gas prices are up so you should get the groceries at a cheaper price? I've taken a little off the price of an item before if someone was willing to drive to do a FTF but in the end it's the buyers decision to drive to buy the item or not. :twocents:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I always factor in the cost of shipping/gas/transfer/tax stamps/etc... in my transactions. say a rifle is worth $200, I'm willing to pay TOTAL $200 for it, that includes all of the above. If it costs me $25 in gas to go get it, then I make the offer of $175 to the person selling it. If this price is acceptable to them, they take it. If not, I either buy it somewhere else, continue negotiations (maybe meet half way or closer) or pass on the item all together.
    The person selling something isn't always driving some place to sell something. I've sold a lot of items, firearm and other from my house without going any place.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The person selling something isn't always driving some place to sell something. I've sold a lot of items, firearm and other from my house without going any place.

I normally meet them halfway if I can as close to me as I can get them to drive. I know a few of the people on the board personally but not everyone. I don't want just anyone to know where I live. (not that you can really keep this secret anymore.)

That is craigslist stuff.

Friends and shooting buddies normally get to pick stuff up at my house not your average Internet poster. (Sorry to offended so many of you I have yet to meet in person.)

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Should not be an issue. You either want the gun at the asking price, knowing the distance, or you don't. If I were selling to a guy and he started to whine about gas, I'd nix the deal.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Just wanted to see what kind of responses I get on this one!!:popcorn:

What are people's thoughts when it comes to people selling firearms on here and a potential buyer complains that gas is too expensive. So then they want the asking price lowered to offset the price.:rolleyes: Well, in that case if gas is so expensive, shouldn't you probably be saving your hard-earned cash and buy a car that gets better MPG?? That would be a crazy thought now wouldn't it? Or perhaps instead of buying guns, shouldn't you probably be saving for gas??

I could definitely see if the weapon for sale was only $100 and the person lived 3 hours away. I wouldn't want to spend $40 on gas either. If it was a good deal though, I would be willing to do the drive. Remember that the person selling the gun is also driving to meet. They are spending their cash on gas just as well. Maybe that should be included in the price:D
    Just my:twocents:

BTW....I drive a V8 and it loves gas:ingo:

Everything has a P R I C E, are you will to pay the P R I C E;)
    I don't tow, push, or pull, but I bought an F-250 6.4 diesel, cause that is what I wanted. If I selling the gun, It's up to me if I want to lower the price or not, If I want to meet you, I'll do it, BUT The seller makes the decisions:twocents:

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For me whenever I buy something out of the classifieds or craigslist, I figure I am buying it so I will drive to it. It annoys me when I sell something and I get an email from someone asking me to drive more than half way to meet them. Just my 2 cents.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    For me whenever I buy something out of the classifieds or craigslist, I figure I am buying it so I will drive to it. It annoys me when I sell something and I get an email from someone asking me to drive more than half way to meet them. Just my 2 cents.

The way I see things, If I am buying, I base my offer on what the seller is asking and what the item is worth to me. If it entails a long drive, that goes into what I will offer. FWIW, I never EXPECT a seller to meet me half way for a FTF.

The seller sets the terms. If he is a motivated seller, a skilled negotiator gets the best terms.

Top Bottom