• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    It seems that a geo thermal system would be awesome to have in a SHTF kind of situation. You only have to run a single pump right? Does anyone on here have and run one? I'm reading up on DIY systems and it's interesting.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Two pumps, a compressor, and a fan. It uses more power than you think. You'd need a big gennie to run it.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    A Geo unit does not have to pull as much power as you think. Depending on the size of the unit and they type of loop installed on you will only need one pump which pulls about 1 amp. As for the compressor and fan on average they will only require a 40 amp breaker. So if you are able to run your furnace and A/C now, you will be able to run a Geo.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think a pellet burning stove would be ideal, power consumption would be around 3 amps, and today's pellet stoves heating a 2200sqft home should only use about 1 40lb bag (prices range from 187.00 to 225.00 per ton from what I've seem) at about a 4-5 dollar cost per day on pellets.

I've got a 96% gas furnace as a secondary heating source and a 9.0seer heat pump as primary source and I'm still considering a pellet insert for two things.

Operation cost, it'll be less expensive to heat overall.
    Low power consumption in case of a power outage so I can divert more power if needed to other things.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I think a pellet burning stove would be ideal, power consumption would be around 3 amps, and today's pellet stoves heating a 2200sqft home should only use about 1 40lb bag (prices range from 187.00 to 225.00 per ton from what I've seem) at about a 4-5 dollar cost per day on pellets.

I've got a 96% gas furnace as a secondary heating source and a 9.0seer heat pump as primary source and I'm still considering a pellet insert for two things.

Operation cost, it'll be less expensive to heat overall.
    Low power consumption in case of a power outage so I can divert more power if needed to other things.

this is pretty close but get one that burns pellets and wood in case one day for some reason you can't get the pellets you could still burn wood in it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    this is pretty close but get one that burns pellets and wood in case one day for some reason you can't get the pellets you could still burn wood in it.

If I get one it will be wood/corn.

That way I could use both.

As far as both pellets and traditional cord wood, I have not seen one that will do both.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i priced a geo thermal system for my house 2 years ago and it was around $16,000 for the furnace and hot water setup. i'm sure with time you make the money back, but you better plan on staying in your house that long.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    We have done 2 of the houses on the Farm thinking of doing 2 more in Geo as well. Do your research, there is a lot to be said for the depth and length of the loop...

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Up to 9kw? Not likely
    you're thinking about it wrong. By directly off the windmill I mean directly, not generate electricity with the windmill then run a few pumps.

a gear box could be created that would turn each compressor/pump at whatever speed you need. You could even hook up a small gas motor for days with no wind. the water pumps don't really need to move water very fast for heating and cooling.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    you're thinking about it wrong. By directly off the windmill I mean directly, not generate electricity with the windmill then run a few pumps.

a gear box could be created that would turn each compressor/pump at whatever speed you need. You could even hook up a small gas motor for days with no wind. the water pumps don't really need to move water very fast for heating and cooling.

If you're only heating/cooling with water, you won't get your house much above freezing during the winter.

Most geo therm units still use refrigerant and a compressor, but run the lines underground to heat/cool instead of through a fan. Much more efficient in the winter since the ground is much warmer than the air. Same thing during summer only vice versa.

Solar heating can be done with just water and a pump. Typically though, they add polyethylglycol to the mix to keep it from freezing. Hurts the Thermal coefficients, but "hard" water doesn't flow so well, and is murder on the pipes. :)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

:ugh: ok, makes much more sense.:n00b:

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    16,000 seems high for a Geo if you already had the duct work installed. The last I checked replacing a gas furnace and A/C with a Geo had a 5 year payback.

I don't think that the windmill tied directly to the pumps would be a convenient method. It is without question thinking outside of the box which preparing is all about. The loop pumps only pull around 1 amp when running, which is not that much.

Top Bottom