• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I recently got a 9mm G-26 to train with as I carry either the G-27 0r 23.
    Practice ammo is a few dollars cheaper. But after a few weeks of consideration and putting that plan into effect, I said "aw the heck with it", put the 9mm G-26 in the glove box, and will let the ol lady use it, and went back to the .40 g-23/27 series I trust and am used to.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can put quicker hits ON target with a 9mm PPS than I can with a full frame glock 22.

There is no evidence anywhere to indicate .40 will put down a human any faster than 9mm. Where .40 has the slight edge is through intermediate barriers...but like others have said...Mag capacity, shootability, cost to train, etc far outweighs any pro the .40sw round has.

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    I understand what your saying. I used to be die hard 40, and for good reason it is a great round. I ended up buying a smaller 9mm to carry because I was struggling with shooting smaller 40s well also not enjoying it much therefore not shooting as much. That was years ago and I haven't looked back. Now all I shoot is mostly 9mm and I shoot my carry gun more which is good cause I need the practice. I still have a 40 but it mostly sits around.

I can feel myself slowly moving this direction, too. Haven't struggled too much with shooting the .40, but after shooting a couple smoother 9mm's and even .45's, I'm thinking about making a change.

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    I owned XDs in 9mm, .40, and .45. Of course the 9mm was the easiest shooter. Next the .45 and way behind those the .40.

I have shoot other .40's and I don't think I will ever own another. The increase in stopping power over the 9mm is not worth the increase in recoil imho.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To me the best pocket pistol is a .380. My favorite is the Sig Sauer P230. I like the fixed barrels and the blow back design. For me, this pistol with most any ammo is dead on accurate. No pun intended.

Since many, if not most situations that will need you to pull your handgun is within 25 feet, believe me a head shot with a .380 will be good enough.

Vv

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    IMO, both .40 S&W and .357 Sig were answers to a problem that didn't exist. A market demand that wasn't there. For capacity, stopping power and concealability, 9mm is the clear winner for EDC. For those in the "I need more knock-down power than a 9mm can provide" camp, the .45 ACP is unmatched for availability and effectiveness. .40/.357 is too close to 9mm (we're talking grains here, folks) to make the increased weight to carry, and the slightly fewer capacity, worth the trade.

I can't find a good reason for .40 or .357 to exist. Besides, they're dirty and loud. Outside of kids wanting to look and sound cool at a public range, neither is desirable. Yes, get out of .40 and go up or down.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The .357 was invented back in the 1930's. It was meant to give the state troopers more effective power over the then commonly used 38 special. It was carried for many years my state and county agencies. The 40 S & W is nothing but a weak 10 mm. If you want more power than a 9mm, either the 45 ACP or the a fore mentioned 10 mm (yes, I own a G20).

Edit: yes, the 357 magnum.

Last edited:

D ron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Evansville
    I also have a 40 XD SC but has been relegated to the safe in favor of the LCR in warmer weather. I can't speak from years of shooting but I started out in 40 and am just stupid and stubborn enough to stay put.

Top Bottom