• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    My wife has never been a big gun fan. In fact, until two weeks ago she'd never fired a handgun before she shot my XDM-9. Turns out she's a naturally good shot but she's got no interest in shooting.

Then last night I was watching the free DVD from Front Sight and she actually sat there and asked me questions since a group of us pastors went over for a weekend when I lived in LA. Didn't expect it, but I was glad she was taking an increased interest.

So tonight when I turned on Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun I thought she'd go in the other room. Instead, she watches it intently, looking at all of the fine motor skills required to properly and accurately shoot a gun every time. As I was watching I was drilling alongside of the video and she actually wanted to do it as well. So I grabbed another handgun and helped her work on the techniques and understand the theories. Altogether a totally unexpected evening!

So I hope she's surprised on Saturday when our date ends at the range with me gifting her the S&W M&P22 I found for her at Down by the Tracks this week. Money is always an issue, and being able to send 500+ rounds downrange for cheap is a very good thing.

Now my only problem is if she starts outshooting me :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You are a nurturer. She will respond to that. And outshoot you like most women outshoot most men. Does it matter? Of course not.

We all learn from each other. 6 to 60. 60 to 6. You know what I mean, as long as the mind is open to the possibilities.

Have fun. Find ways to make it fun and interesting for her.

Enjoy the adventure. Find ways for her to enjoy the adventure.

Regards

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Down by the Tracks seemed like a good place to get into reloading too. I have only been there once BUT, they carry Dillon and that is a plus.

You can always buy used too. Check out ebay. That will make your centerfire ammunition just about as cheap as 22LR ammo. If you get her hooked enough, maybe she will help with the reloading! :D

(Mine does!)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Money is always an issue, and being able to send 500+ rounds downrange for cheap is a very good thing.
    Frankly, we prefer to eat at home then spend our money on entertainment. We are good cooks and it frees up more money for play! We have had plenty of dates at the clays course, outdoor or indoor ranges.

Now would be a good time to ask her "why" she has taken an interest in shooting. It may be fun, sport, curiosity, social influence from friends, desire to share an interest with you or even self defense. Knowing will help you decide how to proceed with her training and keep it fun for her.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Frankly, we prefer to eat at home then spend our money on entertainment. We are good cooks and it frees up more money for play! We have had plenty of dates at the clays course, outdoor or indoor ranges.

Now would be a good time to ask her "why" she has taken an interest in shooting. It may be fun, sport, curiosity, social influence from friends, desire to share an interest with you or even self defense. Knowing will help you decide how to proceed with her training and keep it fun for her.

I wouldn't ask. At this point if you're a good teacher with patience, you can influence her and kinda watch where her interests turn or lay at.
    Being woman, she'll let you know, in her own way.
    My wife got into the shooting and hunting sports a couple years ago. Bought her shotguns, and a 9mm Ruger. The P95 she really don't like, but she likes shooting clays. Opposite end of the shooting spectrum as I am. It's hard for us to shoot clays though due to my work schedule. Easier to step out the backdoor, on the deck and shoot the rifles and pistols.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Down by the Tracks seemed like a good place to get into reloading too. I have only been there once BUT, they carry Dillon and that is a plus.
    Yes, but they are enablers- every time i'm there they show me something i end up wanting to buy! ;) j/k- i think they are a good shop and they treat the women well, too, instead of assuming we know nothing, or trying to sell us a cheap POS.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    My wife has never been a big gun fan. In fact, until two weeks ago she'd never fired a handgun before she shot my XDM-9. Turns out she's a naturally good shot but she's got no interest in shooting.

Then last night I was watching the free DVD from Front Sight and she actually sat there and asked me questions since a group of us pastors went over for a weekend when I lived in LA. Didn't expect it, but I was glad she was taking an increased interest.

So tonight when I turned on Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun I thought she'd go in the other room. Instead, she watches it intently, looking at all of the fine motor skills required to properly and accurately shoot a gun every time. As I was watching I was drilling alongside of the video and she actually wanted to do it as well. So I grabbed another handgun and helped her work on the techniques and understand the theories. Altogether a totally unexpected evening!

So I hope she's surprised on Saturday when our date ends at the range with me gifting her the S&W M&P22 I found for her at Down by the Tracks this week. Money is always an issue, and being able to send 500+ rounds downrange for cheap is a very good thing.

Now my only problem is if she starts outshooting me :)

Congrats Pastor! I have a feeling your wife will indeed light up in a smile when you present it to her.

If she does develope into a better shooter then you then great! Have your wife sleep nearest to the door in your bed!

I'm sure you've said it yourself on many occasions "The Lord works in mysterious ways"!

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    @Zoub, I probably won't ask her why she's interested, I'm just going to keep answering questions and encouraging her to learn. I really think that's why she's interested - she loves to learn. She's got one doctorate in piano and has talked about getting a medical doctorate as well, so learning is in her blood. As a pianist she loves the idea that exact hand placement and consistency is the key to a good shooters foundation. So for now, if she's more interested in hand mechanics than actually shooting I'm going to focus on that.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    After a nice morning at Starbucks and Ruby Tuesdays I had her go into the back of the van where I had hid the M&P22 for her. She was very surprised and when we pulled into the range she was a natural on the trigger. Other than the sights needing adjusted she was doing an awesome job and shooting dead on. Definitely a great day!

G19ccer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Peru
    This is intriguing. I, too, am a pastor. My wife doesn't like guns. I want to flip a switch and have her wake up one day wanting a nice 1911 for Christmas!

Top Bottom