• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    She left off "Do dad, thing'a'ma'jiggy, and what'cha'ma'gitch" ;)

My wife started taking an interest in firearms just in the last year or so. You should have seen her Christmas list. Quite shocking to see so many weapons on there. :D

We were at Cabela's a few months ago and we saw a couple picking out a revolver for her. It was clear that neither one had any experience. My wife leaned over to me, smiled, and whispered "gun newbs are cute!" Five minutes later, she's checking out a Taurus Ultralite and using words like "doodad" and "thingy".

I just thank the Lord she didn't say "clip"! :lmfao:

Cactus Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Huntington
    If I were you, And you want a hand gun For CCW or for plinking I would recommend a revolver. 1. For beginners there easy to use and 2. Affordable to shoot and 3. Come in a variety of caliber's. If you start shooting YOU WILL GET MORE GUNS, It's as addictive as crack:):. If you live around the Huntington area PM me and we can hook up at the range and I'll bring some guns!!. I love too see new shooters. Just be safe!!!!

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    2. When the shopkeeper or the friend that's with you tells you to hold the gun, aim it, check out the sights, feel the weight, pull the slide back, etc... pointing the gun at the shopkeeper is NOT a good idea.

Ooooo this explains a few things... :draw:

*note to self.. stop pointing the gun at the shopkeeper!* :thumbsup:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So my suggestion after looking through the forums is perhaps we should create a newbie forum or sticky for people like me on how to learn, how to get started, etc. I believe I'm in special position of having close friends that are well educated and members here, but I don't believe that's the norm and I would like to try to help educate myself before meeting with someone so at least I can speak the vocabulary and know a little bit of etiquette.
    The first piece of advice I would give to a new shooter is to do exactly what you seem to be doing: Get involved with the local shooting community, however you end up doing it. Join a forum that has members local to you. Join a local conservation club. Find people you already know that are into some aspect of shooting.

In my experience the general shooting community has some of the most helpful people in any sport. I would bet that there are dozens of people on this forum, myself included, who would jump at the chance to take a new shooter to the range and run them through the basics of gun safety and handling, standard range rules, what criteria you might use for choosing your own gun if/when you decide to purchase one, etc, etc.

A lot of this stuff is best learned through supervised experience. Everyone has their own opinions, based on all manner of things, on what kind of gun you should buy for what application, which brand is best, what cartridge you should carry for self-defense, and everything else under the sun. Once you have the basics of safety (four rules, etiquette, etc) down, you'll want to start doing all your reading and not getting your answers from one source.

Take what everyone says and consider it, then go out and find out what actual research points to, try things for yourself and formulate your own opinions on what you want to do and how you want to do it. As was mentioned above, there are just too many people running around saying BS. It may work for them, but having solid criteria on which to base your own opinion is more important. Finding someone close to you to help guide you through it is invaluable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe I'm in special position of having close friends that are well educated and members here

You should take advantage of this. Arrange to go shooting with your friends ASAP. I can only assume that they will address more formal training when it is necessary.

The most important thing you need to learn immediately is safe firearms handling.

Don't buy anything (except for maybe ammo) right now. You can gun shop when you are much more familiar.
    Shoot your friend's guns. It would be very beneficial if they had, or had access to, .22 rimfire handguns. It is much easier to learn the basics when you take recoil, muzzle blast and flinching out of the picture. The cheap ammo lets you shoot a lot more, which you need.

Don't worry about the lingo, you'll pick that up as you go.
    Keep reading posts on this board and buy yourself a copy of this book:
    Amazon.com: In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection: Massad F. Ayoob: Books
    Here is another thread you should read;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...g/3517-favorite_training_books_or_videos.html

Apply for your lifetime permit now. It takes 4-6 weeks to get it. Unless you train fairly intensively, you will likely not be ready to carry by then. Better to have it though for when you are.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    In the Gravest Extreme changed my outlook on carrying a firearm for personal protection. I actually stopped carrying for a couple months to try to figure out if I could actually use my gun if needed. It is a must read for anyone considering carrying a firearm for self defense, no matter what you think about Mas Ayoob in general.

shizon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks guys! I agree with a lot of what has been said and I've been trying to look over what I can.

I still think it may not be a bad idea to group some of the elementary topics into a stickied newbie section or something. It would help me at least.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I'll definitely meet up with some of you I'm sure.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I think that is a great idea. Just have to get around to looking for all the topics that might help a newbie.

I still think it may not be a bad idea to group some of the elementary topics into a stickied newbie section or something. It would help me at least.

Top Bottom