• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't know what it is, but I'm really starting to get the itch for a new 22lr rifle. It all started when the last trip to the range and my brother in law had a S&W 15-22. That thing was sweet. I've been tinkering with my 10-22 and finally have it where I want it for now, but it's not S&W 15-22.

I really like the idea of a semi auto 22lr that's built for high capacity magazines. I especially like the looks of the new S&W 15-22 MOE with the flip up sights. Add a cheapo red dot and it'd be the poor mans tricked out AR.

Then I get to thinking, well heck I've already got a semi auto 22lr (my 10-22) so why not go a different route, like savages new mark II fv-sr. It's a 16" heavy barreled 22lr with the accutrigger and a threaded muzzle. I think it'd be a fun little rifle to see just how far out I could reach with a 22lr. It'd make for some fun & cheap shooting.

Both these newer model rifles really appeal to me especially because they have threaded barrels and this may be the year I jump on the wagon and buy a suppressor.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on either of those two rifles? I know they aren't exactly apples to apples. I'm just interested in them and wondered if anyone had any experience with either.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I have no experience with the 15-22, I absolutely love my 10-22. I shoot that with a red dot sight for fun. There's a whole lot of customization options if you've got an itch.

I also have a Savage Mark II (though not the fv-sr). These guns are a blast to shoot for accuracy! It, in my opinion, leaves something to be yearned for as the .22lr cartridge doesn't have a whole lot of reach.

Since you mentioned an interest in having a 22LR--Have you considered getting a .22lr if you have any ARs?

Ever since I put a super-cheap drop in kit for my AR, I have only shot that and my Ruger Mk 3 pistol at the indoor ranges. Obviously in the summer I'm moving out to long range, but will be shooting .223 out of the rifle. The 10/22 is what I bring along for the uninitiated.

In short, you can't go wrong! If you haven't already, it might be worth looking at your 10/22 and tricking it out as much as you want.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well right now, my 10-22 has a folding stock, tech sights, VQ trigger job, VQ bolt release, & and after last weekend the VQ extractor. I like my 10-22, but I debate between something made for more accuracy vs something made for high capacity from the ground up.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I have the S&W 15-22 MOE...It's sweet "poor mans AR" is a good description. It is fun to shoot and loves the cheap 22 ammo. I ran almost 1500 rounds through mine this weekend. Didn't start acting up til the last couple clips. Great gun!! I have 10-22's also they are great too.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm a CZ 452 fan and have several different models. They are fun to shoot and very accurate! I also have some 10/22s, Marlin 39s, a Remmy 541T, Ruger 77/22 and a GSG5. I love shooting 22s. I'd like to have an AR style 22 but it's not in the budget for me. I shoot the CZs the most though. Was it Col Cooper who said "Only accurate rifles interest me"?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    .22 bolt action = fun! :D
    Like you said, since you already have a semi-auto .22 I would look into a bolt action if it were me personally.
    Good luck with your decision.

Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Marlin has revamped their whole line of rimfires.
    A new, improved trigger to compete with the very popular Savage rifles is the biggest selling point.
    I am somewhat disappointed in that it appears that there will only be one option in 22LR with a heavy barrel and it comes with a synthetic stock.

Pricing is supposed to be comparable to the Savage line.

You might want to wait to see how they shoot.

If you can't wait then a Savage or CZ will make you happy. The Savages will run cheaper but the CZs are very nicely fit and finished

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I love my 10/22s! That S&W 15-22 MOE does look nice though. Here are my babies, the two on the right are both Ruger 10/22s one has the Nordic AR-22 kit installed.

Rifles2.jpg

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    22 lr rifle

Any thoughts on a 10/22 conv ? Pro Mag G36 copy comes out 2-14
    That is what I am going to do with mine and put my YHM Mite on it
    where they both get here. Also they make a Thompson 28 conv.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    i wish i woulda bought the smith 22 i love my ruger but dang i have over 600 into mine and i know i woulda been happier with the smith hahahaha owell life lesson for me

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do own a Savage MIIFV with heavy barrel and accu-trigger. It's by far my favorite .22 rifle too shoot. I also own a 10/22, and it's a fun gun. However, I have to use hyper velocity ammo to get it to run 100% reliably. So, that knocks it off the top of my favorite list. I have no eperience with the 15-22.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I scratched that itch. I was reading some good reviews on the savage mark II FV-SR on another forum and just had to do it. The gun with with two extra 10rd mags from Buds was just over $300. Now I have to go and take my bushnell 3200 10x off another rifle and put the iron sights back on it. Hopefully I'll be able to test this rifle out next weekend.

Top Bottom