• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just a bit of a background: she comes from a military family. Father is a civilian contractor in the Army, honorably discharged squid, and all around level headed guy. Her whole family knows I carry and they haven't minded it one bit.

My girlfriend has come with me to Atterbury Shooting Complex once. She also shot her first pistols that time. We started with a .22LR handgun and shot a few magazines then switched to a 9mm. With the 9mm she was proficient but had trouble racking the slide until we came back and I showed her some youtube videos of how to rack the slide (push & pull.) Next up she shot a .45ACP and she had fun but it wasn't for her.

Since our first trip to the range I've asked, on a few occasions, if she wants to get her LTCH and take some training classes and then progress into daily carry for self defense. She has always been on the fence with carrying a gun everywhere she legally can. She has nothing against it but she didn't think she needed to.

Earlier tonight we were talking and she said flat out "I want to get my LTCH, take training classes, & find a gun I can carry on me comfortably if you will help me." I dang near took a double take at the phone. I couldn't be happier or more excited to hear that come out of her mouth and without me pushing her to do it. I said absolutely and asked why now? What changed your mind? She heard a news story out of Chicago of a father changing a baby's diaper and he and the kid got shot and died. It stinks that it took that to change her mind but, it did, and I'm going to do everything I can to help her.

So...yeah :D Definitely pumped about this :D I just decided to share it with yall and let the women of the forum know that I'll be browsing this section a lot more. :ingo:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Congrats Biscuit ... good job.!!!! Keeper for sure.

I"ve been working / educating / nudging for 5 yrs to get my daughter off the fence (actually 5 yrs ago - she was OVER the fence ) on this issue. NOW - She's scheduled for L1 shortly, and we start range time and EDC hunting (maybe) this weekend.

I'm shooting for the L-T III for her for trainging; I helped a bit at L-T II, done it myself w/ HandK... it is a great experience - good training.

Continued Success w/ this!!! Good Luck.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Watch the trigger finger. A girl where I work went to a training class and ended up putting a 9mm round through her own foot.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get her t o try and shoot a variety of gun types AND calibers before deciding. she should carry as LARGE a caliber as she is comfortable shooting, in the SIZE gun she wishes to have. And please, don't rule out a good revolver for the ladies. They are nearly foolproof, safe to operate, and accurate.

My daughter and wife HATE shooting my S&W M&P 9mm (the recoil bothers them, I don't even notice it), but they dearly love my S&W model 66 revolver shooting .38 special and +P ammo. .357 Magnum through it bothers my wife. It makes my daughter grin.

And BTW...there is a nice little model 66 snub nose for sale in the classifieds. Heck of a nice little gun. I would dearly LOVE to have a 3" version of the 66.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds like a keeper.
    She is most definitely a keeper.
    She should be the one browsing.
    She is making all of her decisions. What caliber, firearm, and how she carries is up to her. She is her own person.
    ACT can certainly help.
    Thank you. We'll be looking at a few classes together but I'll keep ACT in mind.
    Watch the trigger finger. A girl where I work went to a training class and ended up putting a 9mm round through her own foot.
    Firearm safety is of utmost importance. That being said, I don't believe negligence is particular to one gender.
    Get her to try and shoot a variety of gun types AND calibers before deciding. she should carry as LARGE a caliber as she is comfortable shooting, in the SIZE gun she wishes to have. And please, don't rule out a good revolver for the ladies. They are nearly foolproof, safe to operate, and accurate.

My daughter and wife HATE shooting my S&W M&P 9mm (the recoil bothers them, I don't even notice it), but they dearly love my S&W model 66 revolver shooting .38 special and +P ammo. .357 Magnum through it bothers my wife. It makes my daughter grin.

And BTW...there is a nice little model 66 snub nose for sale in the classifieds. Heck of a nice little gun. I would dearly LOVE to have a 3" version of the 66.
    Thank you for the advice. She will most definitely be calling all the shots when it comes to what she wants.
    AMEN. I had my daughter shoot a WIDE variety of guns. Revolver and semi autos. She fell in love with my 66, so her BF BOUGHT her one. She should pick out what SHE wants. :)
    Absolutely :yesway:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Good news! A month ago We went to Beech Grove Firearms and she looked at different pistols. For her first handgun she chose the Sig Sauer P238 Equinox. Without her knowledge I've put it on layaway. Her birthday is at the end of July which is just enough time to finish the payments and surprise her. I'm in the market for 700 rounds of .380 to get her started in some training classes which I hope to have by the end of July or middle of August. I couldn't be more excited for her.

Top Bottom