• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    We have some - as my wife prefers I say, "challenged" students in the school system that are team members, student managers, etc... Everyone knows that they are only going to participate for a minute of the game (actually less in game clock time) but it gives the student a sense of belonging and, i think more importantly, gives the "normal" kids an appreciation for both their God given talent as well as a little empathy for the less fortunate. Paint the team logo on her face and let her scream for the team...what's it gonna hurt?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What? Did you read the same article I did?

Yeah I did, she and her family have retained an attorney who has put the school district on notice of the intent to file an ADA suit. Additionally they have gotten the ACLU involved as well.

I also read an article in the NY Times from a year and a half ago. She never mentioned the issue of cheerleading in that article.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The article didn't say if it was a competitive cheer team or just an "on the sidelines" cheerleading squad.
    If the latter, let her cheer and shout. When my kids were in high school there was a wheelchair-bound student that was a cheerleader, nobody showed more enthusiasm than she did.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Yeah I did, she and her family have retained an attorney who has put the school district on notice of the intent to file an ADA suit. Additionally they have gotten the ACLU involved as well.

I also read an article in the NY Times from a year and a half ago. She never mentioned the issue of cheerleading in that article.

Good Article, but if you read the OP, they did not want to get a lawyer. I don't think we all have the full story of this but from reading your article, I am even more in favor of her being allowed to cheer for her team.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    We have some - as my wife prefers I say, "challenged" students in the school system that are team members, student managers, etc... Everyone knows that they are only going to participate for a minute of the game (actually less in game clock time) but it gives the student a sense of belonging and, i think more importantly, gives the "normal" kids an appreciation for both their God given talent as well as a little empathy for the less fortunate. Paint the team logo on her face and let her scream for the team...what's it gonna hurt?
    A while back there was video on the news of a high school basketball game where they had allowed the team manager who was autistic into the game for the last few minutes. He scored 20 points. I imagine they were sorry that they only let him pass out the water for the years he was team manager.

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    A while back there was video on the news of a high school basketball game where they had allowed the team manager who was autistic into the game for the last few minutes. He scored 20 points. I imagine they were sorry that they only let him pass out the water for the years he was team manager.

I saw that news video, yeah he was something.

Not to mention all the hollywood depictions of this scenerio over the years. Our school only has maybe 120-150 students per grade and we have both a competitive "show choir" who sings and dances at the more prominent school activities, then we also have the standard cheerleaders who are at every game. There's room for one more on the team - it's not like the school has to pay for her uniform, travel, whatever - that's all out of the parent's pocket.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Yeah, I think I heard about that somewhere.

It looks like this school needs to take a page out of Greece Athena HS's book and show even the slightest bit of compassion.

Autistic Teen's Hoop Dreams Come True - CBS News

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Like it or not it would be a MAJOR safety issue on the side of a high school basketball court.

Otherwise, go to the tryouts and go for it.

Top Bottom