Give me your suppressor thoughts! Please...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Ok, so I have had a very bad itch lately to dive into the NFA world. I plan on filing a couple of form 1's for SBR's, and also purchasing a suppressor. My thoughts are to start off by buying one suppressor that I can use on a variety of hosts, and then fill in the gaps later. I thought I would give a list of my current rifles, and of my future build plans, and see what you guys thought.

Currently, I have two 16" AR-15's. However, in the future I plan to build many more.

Future builds:
    10.5" 5.56 MK18 ish AR
    10.5" 5.56 lightweight AR
    7.5" 300 BLK AR
    18"-20" 7.62 AR/SPR type rifle

From the research I have done, the suppressor I am interested in is the Silencerco Saker 7.62. Based on their specs, I believe the suppressor is rated for all of the barrel lengths I plan on building. Also, I like the mount design that accommodates a large array of muzzle devices. I'm also a fan of the ability to put a 5.56 end cap on the 7.62 suppressor until I build a 7.62 rifle.

The Saker seems to get pretty good reviews. What are INGO's thoughts on my plan? Does it seem solid, or am I way off target? Also, where are some of the better places to by a suppressor from? The paperwork makes me a little nervous, so I'd like for it to be someone who does it pretty often. I have a trust, so I believe that makes it a little simpler. Right now, I am leaning towards Silencershop.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    I did watch that video series. I thought that is was really well done and filled with great info. MAC does it again! I keep going back and forth between Silencerco and Griffin...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I was thinking about this too, but decided instead to go with a) new gun, or b) more ammo, or c) a) + b).

I guess there's no reason why you couldn't do all three, if you have the scratch.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I am going with the Omega and the Griffin Reec7. If you have not seen the video MAC did then the link is below. He tests a large amount of suppressers and at the end puts a couple on a 556 as well so you can hear the 308 and the same can on a 556.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o

The Omega doesnt have the same minimum barrel length restrictions as the Saker762. You can go down to a 8" barrel with the omega with 300 BLK, so that doesnt meet the requirement for 7.5".

With the Saker 762 you can go down to 7" for 300 blk, as well as shorter barrel lengths across the board for all ammo type it supports.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco/support/barrel+restrictions.pdf

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The Omega doesnt have the same minimum barrel length restrictions as the Saker762. You can go down to a 8" barrel with the omega with 300 BLK, so that doesnt meet the requirement for 7.5".

With the Saker 762 you can go down to 7" for 300 blk, as well as shorter barrel lengths across the board for all ammo type it supports.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco/support/barrel+restrictions.pdf

But, the Omega is significantly quieter than the Saker 762, not to mention lighter, it looks like:

Omega

Caliber:
    5.7mm to .300 WM

Muzzle Average dB:
    119.5 (.300 BLK)
    130.1 (5.56 NATO)
    133.9 (.308 WIN)

Weight:
    14.0 oz

Length:
    7.09”

Diameter:
    1.56”

Full Auto Rated

Saker 762

CALIBER: 5.56 – 7.62
    WEIGHT: 20.7 OZ
    DIAMETER: 1.500”
    LENGTH: 7.50”

SOUND REDUCTION:
    5.56 – 134 dB
    .300 BLK Subsonic – 126 dB
    .308 – 139 dB
    FINISH: Black Oxide

MOUNT:
    Trifecta RS Muzzle Brake Mount

Full Auto Rated

So, I guess the question is, how important is having that short of a barrel?

Edit: I should point out that apparently there have been some other testing that some people claim to refute the above numbers put out by Silencerco and that the Omega hasn't been testing as well as the manufacturer numbers would indicate. So, who knows.

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    True.... I was just going off the OP original specs.... The omega looks like the bomb diggity.... just cant handle the shorter barrel lengths

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    True.... I was just going off the OP original specs.... The omega looks like the bomb diggity.... just cant handle the shorter barrel lengths

At 10" for 5.56 and 8" for .300 BLK, I don't think you are giving up much. My .300 BLK is 8.5" and it seems stupid short, but obviously I can't speak for everyone.

Honestly, both seem like great suppressors. Just whatever you do, don't buy a Huntertown. I'm still pissed off that they changed the minimum barrel length for the Kestrel 556 multiple times, with it now sitting at 11.5", which is conveniently 1" longer than my Noveske (which all happened after I bought the suppressor of course).

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Those are good points. The barrel length differences are not that big of a deal to me. My future builds are not set in stone, and 1/2" isn't a huge deal. Here's my beef with the Omega though; whats with the goofy looking rings out front of the silencer??? It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie... I understand that its a brake of sorts, it just looks a little ridiculous to me. To each their own though!

Continuing on that note though... Has anyone ever seen head to head comparisons, or real world tests of the Omega? It is much quieter than the Saker, the end cap can be changed, and it is $200 cheaper. So, I would consider it. I'm not sure about the comparison of the mounting styles though?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I got the Griffin from MAC today but he is going to let me know when he gets in an Omega and I will most likely spring for one of those as well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am lusting after an Omega! I have been for a solid 6 months! My LGS has a good price on them too... It's in the very very near future that the wait will begin. I should probably get some training instead but gosh dang it I can't wait anymore!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I am lusting after an Omega! I have been for a solid 6 months! My LGS has a good price on them too... It's in the very very near future that the wait will begin. I should probably get some training instead but gosh dang it I can't wait anymore!

Why don't you share the name of your LGS with us...:):

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Those are good points. The barrel length differences are not that big of a deal to me. My future builds are not set in stone, and 1/2" isn't a huge deal. Here's my beef with the Omega though; whats with the goofy looking rings out front of the silencer??? It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie... I understand that its a brake of sorts, it just looks a little ridiculous to me. To each their own though!

Continuing on that note though... Has anyone ever seen head to head comparisons, or real world tests of the Omega? It is much quieter than the Saker, the end cap can be changed, and it is $200 cheaper. So, I would consider it. I'm not sure about the comparison of the mounting styles though?

The endcap can be changed on the Omega but it looks like the only QD it has is the locking collar type. This won't work for mounting under the handguard. That would be the deciding point for the Saker for me (I have the Saker and SpecWar, love the ratchet mount of the Saker).

Top Bottom