• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Issues with the Gen 4 17? I recently purchased one of these and now have bout 600 rounds through it.

First off I am very disappointed with my ability to shoot this gun very well. I can shoot my Gen 3 21 much much better for some reason. I even put the large back strap on the 17 so they would have a similar feel. I figure the gun will loosen up with some more rounds so this one isn't as big of an issue maybe.

Secondly, the spent rounds don't eject very very often hitting me in the face or head.

Thirdly, yesterday my son and I were shooting it and he had 2 FTF. He is a big kid, but only 10 so I figured he just wasn't keeping his wrists and arms stiff as I have never had that issue. I put in a fresh and mag and got my 1st ever stove pipe in several thousand rounds of shooting. This was PMC bronze ammo-not sure if this is why.

I saw on another forum peeps called Glock and they sent them a different model number recoil spring- but I trust the people here more for accurate information plus I know lots of Glock loyal people and own one without issues.

All ammo thus far has been on the cheaper end 115 grain. Red box feds, WWB, and PMC bronze as I was just trying to break it in.

Thoughts?

agreen0170

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Richmond, Indiana
    I am a huge Glock fan. I carry a gen3 Glock 21C with lasermax. I would not trade it for the world. However, I did own a Gen4 Glock 17, and had the very same issue that you are having with the ejection. I did a little research and ended up ordering a one piece guide rod for it with a 17 pound spring. It helped the issue tremendously, but I am still not completely sold on the gen 4. I hate to say that there is a Glock that I do not like, but on that same note I can't understand why they would mess with perfection. My motto is "If it isn't broke don't fix it." I would suggest buying that stainless steel guide rod with 17 pound spring from glockmeister. Hopefully it will help correct the issue you are having.

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    They changed the generation 3 recoil spring for a new type of spring and it seems some of the G17 and 19 have been having the problem you mention with the less powerful 115 grain ammo. Just call Glock. They will send you a new recoil spring free of charge and, for what I know, it'll solve your problem. :D

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    bought and sold a glock 19 . the buyer checked the guide rod and spring before buying . he said it had the updated spring in it . that was a couple months ago . Maybe the problem is being addressed from the factory .

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    You probably got an early production run model of the G17 4th gen from when they were using the same spring for the 9mm and .40.

I have a 4th Gen 17, and I have had zero problems with it in 1000rds so far. I have only shot 115 Tulammo and the 115gr Wal-Mart Federal Champion, and 115 Blazer aluminum through it. Not a hiccup, and I shoot it very well.

I believe the proper spring is marked 0-2 but I don't have mine in front of me at the moment.

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    Just saw this in another forum. Hope it helps:

HTML:
    Dear GLOCK Armorer:
    On September 6, 2011, GLOCK Inc. will begin voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols shipped since 2009 GLOCK’s product development team has modified various elements of the RSA to ensure each pistol’s performance meets the company’s demanding standards. With several variations of the RSA in the market today, GLOCK’s goal with this voluntary exchange is to standardize the RSA to gain the best possible performance in each pistol. 
    Armorers should note that Gen4 G26 and G27 models will not require a modified recoil spring.
    The new RSA’s all have unique markings on the base of the part. The enclosed chart is designed to help you readily identify the correct RSA for your pistol.
    Unless a directive is mandated by your agency or your store, the replacement of the Gen4 pistol’s RSA can be performed as part of the regular field-strip process. Agencies or Consumer’s wishing to participate in the exchange program at no charge are urged to call 1-877-745-8523 to order their new RSA.
    For more information on the details of the exchange program, visit www.TEAMGLOCK.com.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I just called them and they said I will have a new spring in about 15 days. So hopefully I will love my 17 as much as my 21. Thanks again for you help here.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I had 3 Glocks and as many as 4, can't shoot them well at all

I have zero now, but my son still has his Gen 4 17 and he is 13 yo, no stove pipes or fte's so far, probably 1000 rounds thru it to date, we did call and get the new recoil spring anyway though

Top Bottom