• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    If you have a 10mm it ballistically equals a 41 mag.
    If you own a 41 mag, it (10mm) doesn't equal 41 mag. It is what it is,, a 40 mag! close to 41 mag BALLISTICALLY!!! :)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    No, it's not a .41 magnum, but warm 10mm loads certainly approach .41 mag ballistics.

Here's some 220 grain cast loads @ 1200 fps:

Heavy 10mm Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

200 grains at 1200 fps:

Heavy 10mm Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

200 grains, 1300 fps:

DoubleTap Ammunition

If you want to practice with full house FMJ loads like Kingnerelli, then yes, it would probably be expensive and hard to find if you shoot a lot. But I find that most target ammo in any caliber is loaded a little lighter than defensive ammo, so I don't see an issue with practicing using ammo that is maybe medium power. Of course, reloading would negate the issue of expense and difficulty in finding hot target loads, as you could load them as hot as you want, up to the maximum safe reload specifications.

I'd love to see a Smith & Wesson M&P in 10mm. :)

I only have one 10MM & it's a GLOCK 20, I think that the 10MM & 41MAG are not going anywhere, cause you can find more 44MAG ammo & guns, I don't have the time to reload:(

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Since you have already owned a G20, would you go a different route ? Asking just out of curiosity. I had a original Delta Elite and also a G20 at one time. Also thinking about getting another, but not sure what direction I would go.

Actually, I will go with a G20 again. I'm not shy about my hatred of glock but I came to the conclusion when I was looking at the the first time that the G20 is probably the best option in 10mm. I was naturally drawn to a Colt Delta Elite but the mags are quite expensive and if I am going to down in caliber I want a larger increase in capacity. Glock parts are cheaper than a cheaper 10mm 1911. The guns themselves will end up being very similar in price as the G20 will require some modifications to work for me.

I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that Lone Wolf will have their Timberwolf frame available in 10/45 by the time I'm ready for the purchase. If that's the case I'll just build it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought my 20SF from 21st century and I love that gun. As far as full power factory ammo two of the ones I've tried out were Hornady 155, 180, & 200gr loads, and also Georgia Arms loads full power 10mm using starline brass. If I didn't reload my own ammo I couldn't afford to shoot the 10mm, but since I do, I'm working up a load for full power hornady 200gr JHP bullets.

Using good factory ammo this handgun is an accurate as anything else I've ever fired. Using crappy plated bullets this gun can't hit a plate 7 yards away. I bought a bunch of Berry's plated 180gr hollow point bullets and the velocity of the 10mm is just too much for them and they are inaccurate as heck. Next trip to the range I'm going to be dumping hundreds of rounds loaded with those BS berry's bullets just so I can have my brass back.

The power of the 10mm can be debated all day long, but it's more power than 357mag and that's killed darn near everything on earth so I'm not that worried about it. The 10mm I have is a keeper.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Actually, I will go with a G20 again. I'm not shy about my hatred of glock but I came to the conclusion when I was looking at the the first time that the G20 is probably the best option in 10mm. I was naturally drawn to a Colt Delta Elite but the mags are quite expensive and if I am going to down in caliber I want a larger increase in capacity. Glock parts are cheaper than a cheaper 10mm 1911. The guns themselves will end up being very similar in price as the G20 will require some modifications to work for me.

I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that Lone Wolf will have their Timberwolf frame available in 10/45 by the time I'm ready for the purchase. If that's the case I'll just build it.

There are guns that I don't particularly care for, but I think "hate" is a pretty strong word for an inanimate object. To state your "hatred" for a pistol platform, then to conclude that the same platform is the best option in 10mm, is kinda strange to me. Personally, I think the XD is a crap platform, but if it's all I had access to and was reliable, I would carry it if going into harms way. It's a pistol, not an ex-wife.

Also, if you are talking defensive use, I don't see going from .45 to 10mm as a step down in caliber. In the strictest sense of the word "caliber," yes, you are giving up fractions of an inch going from .45 to 10mm. But the 10mm is far beyond .45 ACP in energy, and 200 grain bullets for 10mm have more sectional density than 230 grain .45 bullets, and will penetrate deeper in any given medium. In fact, standard .45 ACP is, ballistically speaking, pretty pathetic compared to even medium 10mm loads. .45 ACP +P is a little better, but it still won't approach hot 10mm loads.

To illustrate with revolver calibers, for defensive use, I'd take 6 shots of .41 magnum over six shots of .44 special any day of the week.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've seen 10mm's have problems with tumbling before. Maybe that's your problem.

The problem in this case comes from using the cheaper plated bullets. I really think those bullets fly completely out of control once they leave the barrel. I just dumped about 200 rounds through the gun last trip out and didn't hit squat. I switched the mag of hornady factory ammo and every plate went down on the first shot.

The only problem is that I have about another 200 - 400 rounds of that junk ammo laying around waiting for it's next trip to the range. Once I get all of my brass back, I'll have my 200gr hornady jhp load right where I want it and I'll start running them through the dillon.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    There are guns that I don't particularly care for, but I think "hate" is a pretty strong word for an inanimate object.

I'm perfectly fine using the word hate about glock. They're poorly designed with so many... I'll stop right there as this isn't the topic of this particular thread.

Hoosier9 said:
    To state your "hatred" for a pistol platform, then to conclude that the same platform is the best option in 10mm, is kinda strange to me. Personally, I think the XD is a crap platform, but if it's all I had access to and was reliable, I would carry it if going into harms way. It's a pistol, not an ex-wife.

I don't like it any more than you do. There's just not very many options. If there was an affordable, double stack 1911 or if Springfield would bring out a XDm10 I would quickly abandon the G20. That's just not the case right now.

Hoosier9 said:
    Also, if you are talking defensive use, I don't see going from .45 to 10mm as a step down in caliber. In the strictest sense of the word "caliber," yes, you are giving up fractions of an inch going from .45 to 10mm.

I was talking about the size of the bullet which is why I used the word "caliber." If I'm going to use a narrower bullet I want the associated benefit. That is extra capacity. With a 10mm 1911 I would get one extra round for $40.00 a magazine. G20 magazines can be had for around $25.00 and nearly double a .45 1911 magazine and two more than a XD magazine.

Hoosier9 said:
    But the 10mm is far beyond .45 ACP in energy, and 200 grain bullets for 10mm have more sectional density than 230 grain .45 bullets, and will penetrate deeper in any given medium. In fact, standard .45 ACP is, ballistically speaking, pretty pathetic compared to even medium 10mm loads. .45 ACP +P is a little better, but it still won't approach hot 10mm loads.

I'm quite familiar with 10mm ballistics.

Hoosier9 said:
    To illustrate with revolver calibers, for defensive use, I'd take 6 shots of .41 magnum over six shots of .44 special any day of the week.

Maybe. I'm equally found of 10mm and 45acp. However, with handgun ballistics, while penetration is king wound channel is queen. Assuming sufficient penetration, which 45acp is quite capable of, I'll take the widest bullet possible.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I would definitely like to get a 10mm for a modern day type trail gun. If there was one in the M&P platform I would snatch it up. I might be persuaded to get the glock though.

Top Bottom