• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huskymt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Nevada
    Can anybody explain why Glock will not come out with a carbine? It’s a NO brainer that Glock would sell a butt load of these especially if the gun took the 33 round 9mm mags. Why have they not done this yet?
    I’m I missing something????

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I bought the Mech Tech upper when they first came out and recently I found a 2nd Gen Model 17 lower complete for $149 so now I no longer have to take my unlimited gun apart and can use both at the same time.

mechglock.jpg

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Can anybody explain why Glock will not come out with a carbine? It’s a NO brainer that Glock would sell a butt load of these especially if the gun took the 33 round 9mm mags. Why have they not done this yet?
    I’m I missing something????

A) The pistol caliber carbine market is actually relatively small. So a pistol caliber gun that took 33 rounders would be cool, but probably would not sell very well.

B) The rifle caliber carbine market is larger but ridiculously saturated. Plus a product for this market would require more development resources than they likely have.

C) A rifle caliber carbine would likely be a lot more complicated and given the history of the company, a complicated gun would not really align with their brand image.

D) Glock would likely have to add significant mfg. capacity at considerable expense for any new product.

E) Glock would have to learn how to engineer a decent trigger. A Glock carbine would likely need to be at an $800-$1000 or higher street price to avoid having the carbine "cheapen" the market's perception of their pistols. At that price point, the crappy Glock trigger just simply wouldn't cut it.

Anyway, I could go on....

But it all really comes down to one reason. In its entire existence, Glock has introduced a 100% brand new firearm exactly once. That firearm is the Glock 17. Every other gun they have ever made is an evolution of that design. The primary advantage of doing business this way is that your production costs drop ridiculously low over time and you do not need a lot of engineers on your payroll. And you make a ton of money.

So Glock has gotten really good at making essentially one product and they are content to milk said product for all it is worth, while only adding incremental improvements over time.

And the primary reason for that? Well, Glock is run by a secretive, micro-managing, perfectionist tyrant. Who, by the way, is probably convinced he has made the perfect gun and also happens to not trust anyone other than himself.

More here: Top Gun - Forbes.com

Putting on my flame suit.....

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have an early prototype that hasn't been released to the public.

I'm not supposed to publish pictures, but if you see me riding my unicorn/pegusus, you'll notice the custom made holster I had built for it. It's in there.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    From talking to the guys from Glock at the last GSSF shoot at Eagle Creek the money men in Austria pretty much ignore advice about what to make when it comes to us here in the US. They simply refuse to acknowledge sport shooting is as big as it is over here...they just don't believe it. The Glock folks working here in the US have a good idea what would sell but have a very tough time convincing the people in the home office. That is why I went with the Mech Tech years ago. Today with careful shopping you can set one up complete with lower for around $500, you just have to be patient when looking for the lower. The Mech Tech unit is very reliable, accurate, and simple. The models sold today (mine is a very early version) allow for a wide variety of stock options and rails if that that is your thing.

Top Bottom