• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Ok I have never had a NFA weapon and I am a total NOOB when it comes to this so please be patient and understanding! :D

Before you bash me on the conversions, as of now I am just toying with the idea and had some questions maybe some of you could answer (even though they might come across dumb)

I know to convert the pistol to a SBR I need to complete the Form 1, watched the video Full-Auto did, (Thanks by the way, very informative)

So here are the questions:
    1. Since this is a conversion that can be easily swapped from pistol to SBR are there any issues swapping back and forth?

2. I know it has to be engraved being a SBR, but with a conversion what would you engrave? Would it be the pistol or the conversion kit?

3. On the Form 1 it asks OAL of the SBR, since I do not have the kit I have no way of knowing the OAL, could I make an educated guess on the OAL?

4. Can the kit be purchased prior to getting approval, or is that a big mistake?

5. Once approved, I am assuming that I can add a vert. grip onto the SBR without any added paperwork, right?

6. Since this is a conversion, would I only be able to use the original pistol (stated on Form 1) for the SBR? Meaning if I own a couple Glock 19's, the pistols would not be interchangeable with the conversion?

7. I understand that I need to copies of everything submitted to the ATF, do I need to have the Chief of Police sign 2 of the forms? (Original signatures)

Here is the converions I am thinking about Hera Arms
    The 1st one is there first model where slight modification is needed (rear sight replacement, one of the frame pins)

The 2nd is there Triarii (newer model, no mods needed)
    It actually ships without a stock, so legally I should be ok with this conversion before the tax stamp-once approved a stock could be added making it a SBR

SBR'ed

Anyways, like I said-Im just toying with the idea, I know there are different kits out there, and I know there isnt a big fan base when it comes to these conversions, but being a NOOB any help I can get with my questions will be appreciated! I know this is kind of a long post, thanks for looking! :D
    Semper Fi!

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    So here are the questions:
    1. Since this is a conversion that can be easily swapped from pistol to SBR are there any issues swapping back and forth?
    This I do not know about but hang tight and someone will be along soon to answer it.

2. I know it has to be engraved being a SBR, but with a conversion what would you engrave? Would it be the pistol or the conversion kit?
    The pistol would be the part that needed to be engraved.
    3. On the Form 1 it asks OAL of the SBR, since I do not have the kit I have no way of knowing the OAL, could I make an educated guess on the OAL?
    Send an email to the company and ask them. Get as close as you can but if you can't get it you can estimate and send a letter with the correct info later to the BATFE.
    4. Can the kit be purchased prior to getting approval, or is that a big mistake?
    Sure you can, as long as you don't have the pistol. I'm sure some would say it would be ok, but I wouldn't keep the two in the same house without the paperwork.
    5. Once approved, I am assuming that I can add a vert. grip onto the SBR without any added paperwork, right?
    6. Since this is a conversion, would I only be able to use the original pistol (stated on Form 1) for the SBR? Meaning if I own a couple Glock 19's, the pistols would not be interchangeable with the conversion?
    Whichever one you SBR is the only one that can go in the stock unless you SBR them all and that would get pricey.
    7. I understand that I need to copies of everything submitted to the ATF, do I need to have the Chief of Police sign 2 of the forms? (Original signatures)
    Yes the Chief needs to sign both of the originals. And verify all the information on them before you send them out so that you don't get them kicked back. Ask us for help.

I like this one the best.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Once the form 1 is approved then the gun is now and forevermore registered as a SBR and even though it can be taken out of that conversion kit easily it is still legally registered as a NFA SBR and cannot be considered a Handgun ever again.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Seriously??
    Wow kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a conversion.
    It honestly makes no sense, if you cant readily use the Glock in both aspects a pistol and a SBR!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

Yes, you can take the stock/conversion off of it an shoot/carry it as a pistol.

It is best to engrave the receiver of the glock. That is how I did mine. Then if you want to just put a simple stock on it like the MAKO then it is still legally engraved.

Call the conversion manufacturer or look up the specs for it. Someone else has already answered this question somewhere.

Yes, the kit is considered parts. Some are worried about constructive possession. Research it and decide for yourself how you feel about the issue.

Correct. If it is a SBR then a FVG is GTG.

Yes, you would have to register one serial number.

Yes, the CLEO will sign two Form 1's.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Nope, once a rifle it can't be a handgun. So you'd need an EDC G19 and an NFA G19.

This is incorrect, the "SBR" can be shot as pistol even after registering it. Just like it would not be illegal to shot a Thompson Center regisitered SBR with only a pistol grip. I happened to own both a T/C and a Glock SBR and shoot them both as pistols and as SBR's.

Just because it is an SBR doesn't mean it HAS to have a stock, it is just ALLOWED to have a stock.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    This is incorrect, the "SBR" can be shot as pistol even after registering it. Just like it would not be illegal to shot a Thompson Center regisitered SBR with only a pistol grip. I happened to own both a T/C and a Glock SBR and shoot them both as pistols and as SBR's.

Just because it is an SBR doesn't mean it HAS to have a stock, it is just ALLOWED to have a stock.

Okay that makes more sense-thank you!
    So I would still be able to carry the Glock as an EDC and go conversion at my leisure correct?

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Thought of another question, Curraheeguns you probably know the answer to this:

On the Glock conversions, once the pistol is registered as a SBR can it be used on different conversions?

Example I buy a Hera Arms conversion, get the tax stamp. Then I decide to buy a Fab Defense KPOS, or the CAA Roni can I use that same Glock in different conversions?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How would the law view the SBR g19 as a pistol as far as carry is concerned? You wouldnt be able to carry it to other states correct? Would there be any other legal issues to be concerned about?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Thought of another question, Curraheeguns you probably know the answer to this:

On the Glock conversions, once the pistol is registered as a SBR can it be used on different conversions?

Example I buy a Hera Arms conversion, get the tax stamp. Then I decide to buy a Fab Defense KPOS, or the CAA Roni can I use that same Glock in different conversions?

It would be fine because the frame (pistol grip) is the SBR so it matters not what "parts" (conversions) you put on it. You can make a 30" sniper bbl for it if you want. It is a SBR just as much as a AR receiver is an SBR so you can change the parts around all you want. ATF just asks that if the change is one that will stay forever, that you notify them so the registry can be updated. (Mainly on caliber or bbl length...but OAL would also apply)

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    How would the law view the SBR g19 as a pistol as far as carry is concerned? You wouldnt be able to carry it to other states correct? Would there be any other legal issues to be concerned about?

You should probably file the correct ATF over state line SBR paperwork and check the target states laws on SBR's. The paperwork only needs to be filed once a year.

Top Bottom