• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Gen2 23 Glock. Obviously she has a few years on her, not exactly sure on round count as I bought it used. While doing qualifications a few weeks ago I had to fails to fire, hit the striker, so I just assumed the striker was crap (Federal Ammo).
    Fast forward to yesterday, I decided to go out and just get some more practice in. My parents had bought me some TulAmmo (yes I know its cheap crap), and had 4 fails in 50 rounds. Same circumstances.

I looked at the fails, and on all of them the pin strike was off center, is this normal?

What direction do you think I should go? New pin?

We got a guy on our department that is certified by Glock to do our work, but I just wanna have a good idea as to what Im up against. Thanks!

-MColford

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The easiest and least expensive thing to check would be the cleanliness of the firing pin channel. If someone had lubed that area prior, it could of collected debris and now is reducing the movement of the striker. The hole in the inner side of the slide allows debris a place to escape, but probably does present itself as a temptation to drop oil in.

Saying that though, I would think your strikes on the primer would be light, but still centered... Why off center, IDK.....

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Get a new recoil spring. Sounds like a failure to go completely into battery.

Firing pin strike off center is the usual symptom for the above.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Off center lite primer strikes are a sign of the gun not going into full battery /

^^^^^
    To slow on the keyboard /What he said

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I agree with all of the above posted possibilities but before I spent any money I would take it to the armorer you mentioned to confirm. Glock does consider the recoil spring to be an expendable item and recommends that it be replaced every 3000 rounds for the .40 caliber pistols and every 5000 rounds for the lighter calibers.

PS: The armorer will be able to tell immediately if the firing pin channel is fouled and there is a quick check he will perform to check the recoil spring.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Dropped off with the armorer. He is thinking that maybe ammo was the fault in all circumstances, but is going to replace to firing pin spring, and whatever else he finds. Hope this doesnt kill my wallet!

-MColford

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Dropped off with the armorer. He is thinking that maybe ammo was the fault in all circumstances, but is going to replace to firing pin spring, and whatever else he finds. Hope this doesnt kill my wallet!

-MColford

It won't... Should only be a few bucks plus a little labor... Might not be a bad idea to grab a recoil spring also. It only costs 7.00 to 8.00 and since you bought it used, might be due for a change in near future anyhow.. You can get them at MidwayUSA also.

Firing pin spring replaced.

Also it had a 3 1/2 pound trigger. Kinda odd.

-MColford

Glad to hear thats all he thinks it was... Many do drop in aftermarket 3 1/2 pound connectors so I wouldn't find that too odd.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    So OK ? Are you good to go? A thorough cleaning would have been first on my list of things to do, trigger spring and or connector, recoil spring, if the cleaning didnt fix your problem, those should have. It should now digest anything you feed it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I havent picked it up, I am going to on my lunch today, and if it aint pouring rain, Im gonna run to the range and do a couple mag dumps just to see if shes all better now, haha. Hope so. I will update with everything that was done. I will also order a new recoil spring in the near future just for good measure. Thanks for all the input guys.

-MColford

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Well, I picked it up. New firing pin spring and trigger upped to 5 pound. Definitely can feel a difference just in dry fire. Other than that everything else was fine, he put a good amount down the pipe and it ran great for him. I guess I will find out soon enough. Woohoo for an excuse to go play at the range.

-MColford

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Donnelly, Im off this weekend if you wanna hit Pulaski or something, just let me know. The new trigger is a lot nicer in my opinion. Also got the sights aligned better.

-MColford

Top Bottom