• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I bought a couple of KCI mags for my G17. They're not bad for the range. The finish on them isn't as good as factory mags, and I had to take the mag apart and trim some extra flashing from the inside. They still have a problem where, when loading the last round, the inside steel lips of the mag cut into the last round's casing. Its gotten less over time, but it still happens.

2mbdzs.jpg

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    CDNN had alot of there used oem glock mags on sale for 9.99. I picked a few of the LE used G22 mags and they have been flawless. They do have china specials for 5.99 I have never been brave enough to purchase.

Thats what it was haha CDNN, I got two Law Enforcement Used G23 Mags that have been great. They are also used Glock Brand Mags so they are good, the MOST you MAY have to do is replace a spring after a few... thousand rounds? But like everyone has said, test them out first and only carry what has proven it's self to you.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They are very hard to load but its maybe because they are new.
    I loaded 14 rounds in one of the 15 rounds mag, its the best I could do.
    The other mags I could only load 10 or so.The springs are very stiff.

I ran into this with the dozen or so KCI mags I have, as well. After 2 or 3 loadings/unloadings, the mags broke in nicely. Then shortly thereafter, the springs became excessively weak and started causing failures to feed and preventing the slide from locking open on empty. :n00b: I replaced the springs with Wolff +10% and they have been completely reliable.

I have seen the KCI mags go for as little as $5.00 apiece; at that price, even if you figure on adding a ~$6.00 spring right off the bat, you're still saving quite a bit compared to OEM. For casual/range/training work, they seem to be a good value. For "serious social purposes," stick with Glock factory.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Then shortly thereafter, the springs became excessively weak and started causing failures to feed and preventing the slide from locking open on empty. :n00b:

I have noticed that my KCI mags are becoming easier to load by hand. I wonder if the same thing will happen to me.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I bought 2 KCI mags at a gun show and took them to the range and they seemed to feed fine. I keep a Glock 17 round in the gun when I'm carrying and it's in the nightstand and next to it I keep the 2 spares loaded to the max.

After about a week after I had loaded them and put them in the nightstand, I pushed the top round off and noticed that it the mag's tension was so strong that it had bent the casing on both sides. The casing was completely deformed. It probably would've fired just fine but I didn't want to risk it. I have them loaded now at 16 rather than 17 and they seem to be working fine.

I agree with most of the posts here. If you're at the range plinking, the KCI's are fine. Otherwise, go Glock.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Aftermarket Glock Mags

There are a couple good aftermarket Glock magazines available. I still prefer the OEM ones. Since you can get them in a bunch of different capacity from Glock. There isn't much of a reason to get the cheaper ones.

The magazine is one of the most important components to an auto loader. It is worth the extra money to go ahead and get the best magazines you can. If you want to save some money. Just pick up some lightly used OEM magazines. I've purchased quite a few used ones. Once you replace the spring they are like brand new.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok, I agree with all of the posts in here about sticking with the factory mags. I have not tried any of the brands mentioned. However, I have tried a couple Scherer mags. I bought the 29 rd mags for the .40 cal. I tried to use them in my 22, my 35, and my Kel-Tec Sub2000. NO GO. They would jam every time if I had more than 15 rounds in the mag and would jam every couple of rounds with less than 15 in the mag. They would also not lock the slide back on empty on any of the firearms I mentioned.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I picked up 4 of the G17 korean mags for 5.99 each and a pair of free pouches as well as 2 of the 31 rounders for 7.99 each a few months ago.

They can't be beat for range magazines. The fit and function have been 100%. For my experience, I only have a few hundreds rounds thru them, so it's not conclusive by any means.

The first time loading them were rough and the gLock loader helped a lot. The spring tension feels less though. I believe the original rough loading is related to some plastic molding remaining and being sheared off/smoothed over durring the first load.

I am using a korean mag in the Jimenez vs 800lbs gorilla video.

I do have factory mags I would use for self defense as a first choice. If I had to use my korean mags, I would. Given my current experience, they are just as good as the OEM's but since the OEM's are $20, there is no reason not to have a handful of them laying around as primary magazines.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well... Tonight I stopped by H&H (I know, I know) and they had two glock 10mm 15rd mags on the shelf. That's the first I've ever seen for spare glock 10mm mags anywhere and the best deal I've seen oline has been $25 plus tax & shipping so when I saw the two mags at $31 each I figured that was fair enough. At first I was just going to buy one, and then remembered about all the lovely things I read in the news today and quickly grabbed the other mag too. I've got 4 total now and I'm pretty happy with that.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys I appreciate it!

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I have plenty of the KCI mags for playing at the range - they work great for me! no complaints.

However - As others have said, go with OEM for carry!

Thanks!
    SODG

I agree others have stated that these mags have been great for range use but I couldn't rely on them for carry. I know Glock makes one of the most reliable firearms and there magazines are a key part to the reliability.

Top Bottom