• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Looking at my Glock tonight and what does Austria on the side mean? Is it part of the make/model?

I also heard some where made for police departments. When I bought it used from a gun shop I was told a police office carried it until he traded into on a newer one. Just thought it would be cool if I had a special one.

Thanks

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Would depend on which generation model you possess. Gen 1 through 4, they all look similar, but have minor differences/features. That'd be the best way to find an approximate date at least, if we knew which gen you had. :ingo:

This will help you a bit: Glock pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for the link I will check that out now. I don't know what Gen it is but guessing 1st
    Here are a few pics

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Thanks for the link I will check that out now. I don't know what Gen it is
    Here are a few pics

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

Looks to be a 1st Gen. I could be wrong, it's harder to tell with the slip-on grip on it.

Is there checkering on the front and back of the grip, or is it the same type of texturing as the rest of the grip?

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Looks to be a 1st Gen. I could be wrong, it's harder to tell with the slip-on grip on it.

Is there checkering on the front and back of the grip, or is it the same type of texturing as the rest of the grip?

The grip has texturing all the way around.

I pulled the grip back a bit and it ripped :(. But it got me thinking I have owned this gun for 15+ years and it was on there when I bought it. Might be time for a new rubber :D

So it is a 1st Gen, I'm cool with that.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The grip has texturing all the way around.

I pulled the grip back a bit and it ripped :(. But it got me thinking I have owned this gun for 15+ years and it was on there when I bought it. Might be time for a new rubber :D

So it is a 1st Gen, I'm cool with that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Gen 1. I mean hell, it's the OG. Yeah, replace that sleeve, you know it needed doing. I'm not an expert, but since it is a gen 1, it could be almost 30 years old. I think that's pretty awesome myself, it looks to be in great condition. Do you fire it often? I recently started having a love affair with Glocks :D

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Gen 1. I mean hell, it's the OG. Yeah, replace that sleeve, you know it needed doing. I'm not an expert, but since it is a gen 1, it could be almost 30 years old. I think that's pretty awesome myself, it looks to be in great condition. Do you fire it often? I recently started having a love affair with Glocks :D

I got it in the mid 90s but I can't recall the year. A new sleeve can't be more then $20-30 and gives me a reason to buy cool stuff. Might try and find one of the grips with a laser on it.

Not sure what others think of the 1st Gen but I love it, and I would buy another in a heart beat.

I don't remember the last time I shot it. But it has been over 8 years, way to long I know. I am taking it with me tomorrow to the range. It has never failed and I clean it about twice a year and keep it in a foam case so it has held up very well.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I got it in the mid 90s but I can't recall the year. A new sleeve can't be more then $20-30 and gives me a reason to buy cool stuff. Might try and find one of the grips with a laser on it.

Not sure what others think of the 1st Gen but I love it, and I would buy another in a heart beat.

I don't remember the last time I shot it. But it has been over 8 years, way to long I know. I am taking it with me tomorrow to the range. It has never failed and I clean it about twice a year and keep it in a foam case so it has held up very well.

Over 8 years!? That poor Glock, it hasn't seen the light of day in so long! :( A new Hogue hand-all grip is about 15 bucks. Less than that at the right place. As far as laser grips, look into Crimson Trace, but expect to pay a pretty penny for any manufacturer of a laser grip.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Over 8 years!? That poor Glock, it hasn't seen the light of day in so long! :( A new Hogue hand-all grip is about 15 bucks. Less than that at the right place. As far as laser grips, look into Crimson Trace, but expect to pay a pretty penny for any manufacturer of a laser grip.

Crimson Trace | Laser Sight Grips for Guns

I know I feel sad thinking it has been that long.

$15 sounds good I will check into those. Thanks for the link but I am going to stick with a simple grip the lasers are a bit high for me. Trying to save for a AR.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    That appears to be a GEN 2 G17, the grip pebbling is in a panel pattern and the GEN 1 were made from '86- '89 (IIRC) w/ pebbling completely around the grip, no panel outline as in GEN 2 and beyond.

Here is a pic to help with the different grip styles per generation: (credit AR15.com, w/ permission from the post)

HTH,

Glock_Generations.jpg

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Glock's serial numbers are sequential, you can place roughly when it was manufactured by looking at pistols before and after yours and when they were made. New Pistols are formatted as AAA000, they come off the line AAA000, AAA001, AAA002 and so on, Each thousand you'll notice them go to AAB000, AAB001, AAB002. Yours might be old enough to go back to being only a two letter prefix, they were at REA 6 months ago.

Here is a good reference list.
    Glock Serial Number Research Project - Glock Talk

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info guys.

Mine is Gen 1 the does go all the way around the handle.

Looking at my SN it was made November 1987, looks like I do have one of the early ones. The SN is CN so yea just two letters.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Thanks for the info guys.

Mine is Gen 1 the does go all the way around the handle.

Looking at my SN it was made November 1987, looks like I do have one of the early ones. The SN is CN so yea just two letters.

My Gen 1 has a prefix of CU and was made Feb. 1988. You can get an exact answer by just calling Glock. I love my Gen1!

Top Bottom