• ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    01 Buick century 3.1

Car has a shake that feels like worn tie rods.... Is a little less severe at highway speeds.

Passenger front tire has almost no play in it (shaking wheel back and forth) and the drivers side is maybe a half inch.

Tires do not show any evidence of damage or belt separation.

Car has like 207k miles and is not a daily driver.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Bearings? I had to replace several on a 03 Chevy Malibu. It was like a bearing eating machine. It would make ugly noises, drive funny, that kind of stuff.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    01 Buick century 3.1

Car has a shake that feels like worn tie rods.... Is a little less severe at highway speeds.

Passenger front tire has almost no play in it (shaking wheel back and forth) and the drivers side is maybe a half inch.

Tires do not show any evidence of damage or belt separation.

Car has like 207k miles and is not a daily driver.
    I've got an '03 Custom and just replaced the stabilizer link pins and bushings and L side lower control arm due to the bushings being shot. Sounds a lot like your issue.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I would defiantly start with the obvious and if it has play when shaking the tire you have something loose up there. Does it have play when you shake the tire side to side when you have your hands at the 9 and 3 oc position or do you notice it more when your hands are at the 12 and 6 oc positions? 12 and 6 would indicate more of a wheel bearing issue. 3 and 9 could be more of a tire rod issue but also watch for a ball joint issue. Best way to be sure without having a feel for it is to observe the movement visually while someone else is shaking it or if you can put you hand on the suspected loose part and feel for looseness. Also keep in mind you can not properly check ballpoints on that particular vehicle with it jacked up or supported by the lower control arms. (Always use proper care, Jackstands proper safety, ect ect)

A question I have for the OP is does the shake or vibration come from the steering wheel or do you feel in more in your feet/legs? At that mileage if you feel it more in you legs, and if felt while accelerating I would be suspect of the axles particularly the inner C/V joints. On older vehicles the inner C/V joints will wear out and cause a wobble sensation while accelerating. This will be noticed mostly at lower speeds when people are taking off and getting up to speed.

Good luck, I hope some of these suggestions may steer you in the right direction. If not try to give us some more details and I'll try to get back on later with more suggestions.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Play is hands at 3 and 9. I have not driven it in a while (been busy). I'll take it out for a short drive soon. I know it's bearing the end of it's life....

I heard a while back that if you turn the car with the steering wheel at full lock left and right you will hear/feel it if the CV's are bad... True?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    All that has been said is good, but really you can't tell until you get it in the air, Get it up on a lift or get both front wheels off the ground with 2 jacks, then grab the wheels and see what you've got,

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Play is hands at 3 and 9. I have not driven it in a while (been busy). I'll take it out for a short drive soon. I know it's bearing the end of it's life....

I heard a while back that if you turn the car with the steering wheel at full lock left and right you will hear/feel it if the CV's are bad... True?

This can be true for the outer CV joints, earlier I was referring to the inner. Also on the play at the 3 and 9 position. There is an inner and a outer tie rod, either or both can be bad so it would be best to try to eye ball it as well as feel it. Most of the inner is sealed in a bellows boot so you won't actually be able to see to joint part of it, but you should be able to tell if it has play by the way the rest of it moves. And as I mentioned before keep an eye on the ball joint for movement as well. Most the time you can feel movement in the lower by pushing in (hard thrust) at the 3oc position if on the drivers side and the 9oc position if on the passenger side. For the most part an experienced tech can tell what is bad by feel of loose parts but it's still sometimes a good idea to get a visual of the movement.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    keep a close eye on the lower ball joint also while you are moving the the tire left to right. If you notice the play coming from the tie rod double check the ball joint after you address the tie rod. You def don't want that ball joint coming apart at highway speeds.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    All that has been said is good, but really you can't tell until you get it in the air, Get it up on a lift or get both front wheels off the ground with 2 jacks, then grab the wheels and see what you've got,

I have.... Was looking for input on what it could be besides tie rods... Gave it a quick look over today... Wanted to get some input so I can cover all the bases at once when I get back under it.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy

This 100x.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    When you do get to the point when you do jack it up be sure to jack it up and support it from the correct places in order to inspect the suspension properly and safely. Like I mentioned earlier don't jack it up by the lower control arms if you want to inspect the ball joints for play. (Although I will admit sometimes you can detect inner tie rod play easier with it jacked up by the lower control arms). Also be sure to look for worn bushings and leaking or torn boots such as inner tie rod boots, CV boots, control arm bushings, sway bar links and such.

Top Bottom